2023 S40?

macg4d1g

Does anyone know when the new S40 will be announced and available? Any inklings how it may differ (if at all) from the latest release? I kept delaying hitting the buy button the last time until they were all sold. I've considered used but I love the 100 mile trial offer that Cruzbike offers. I am having increasingly severe shoulder pain on my DF bike which has pushed me to more indoor riding and less getting out with our local clubs. I've never ridden a recumbent and I'd really like to know if it will alleviate my shoulder pain. I'm fairly confident it will, as physical therapy shows I can do lat pulls and rows without issue. It's pushing and lifting out front that hurts. Still, being able to return the bike is a wonderful option.

Chris, 62 years old, Columbus, IN

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
The latest S40 was upgraded significantly, so I am not sure what they could add to it to make it better. I am not in that loop though so someone else can fully answer your question.

With that said, 1 thing I may suggest is going with a V20c. It may seem like too much bike, but if the 20 degree seat angle scares you, you can either add a bit of adhesive backed foam padding under your shoulders to increase the seat angle, or buy a Thor seat that I believe increases the angle by about 5 degrees. Going with the Thor seat will allow you to easily slip on a Radical Design seat bag that will turn your already fast V20c into a very fast light tourer. With a bit of DIY you can add under seat storage for gear or hydration. I did that and got a 6L bag behind my head, and a 6L backpack on my chest. I use the backpack for 2.5L of hydration but I can put anything in the backpack that'll fit. Also, I can put up to 4 hydration bottles under my seat if needed. That is 12L of stuff plus 4 hydration bottles, as well as the Moose pack under the seat for tools and a tube. I could add another hydration bottle under the boom near the handlebars, as well as a frame bag under the boom near the cranks. Oh, I almost forgot. The Scarab bag, which is what? 10L? Not very aero, but that thing holds quite a bit so you are looking at at least 20L of possible storage space, closer to 25L with the Radical Design bag instead of the teeny bag I use.

Overall, I don't think the V20 can match the S40's max capacity because you can add panniers to an S40. So if you plan on carrying more than 25L of gear then the S40 is the way to go. But if you travel lightly and want to ride soon then a V20c is quite capable.

I believe a recumbent can significantly help with your issue, whether that's a Cruzbike of not would need to be detetmined. I love my S40 but riding it does involve considerably more upper body control than a rear wheel drive recumbent which requires a much more relaxed arm input. Given your progress in PT I wouldn't suspect a problem but there is a difference between the two types of recumbent.

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
I received an email from Cruzbike yesterday, promoting the S40. It said that new complete builds will start shipping on November 15th. It also mentioned "three new colorways," but nothing else in terms of changes. So it sounds like it will pretty much be the 2022 model in new colors, which makes sense, since the 2022 model is a sizeable update over earlier models.

macg4d1g

The latest S40 was upgraded significantly, so I am not sure what they could add to it to make it better. I am not in that loop though so someone else can fully answer your question.

With that said, 1 thing I may suggest is going with a V20c. It may seem like too much bike, but if the 20 degree seat angle scares you, you can either add a bit of adhesive backed foam padding under your shoulders to increase the seat angle, or buy a Thor seat that I believe increases the angle by about 5 degrees. Going with the Thor seat will allow you to easily slip on a Radical Design seat bag that will turn your already fast V20c into a very fast light tourer. With a bit of DIY you can add under seat storage for gear or hydration. I did that and got a 6L bag behind my head, and a 6L backpack on my chest. I use the backpack for 2.5L of hydration but I can put anything in the backpack that'll fit. Also, I can put up to 4 hydration bottles under my seat if needed. That is 12L of stuff plus 4 hydration bottles, as well as the Moose pack under the seat for tools and a tube. I could add another hydration bottle under the boom near the handlebars, as well as a frame bag under the boom near the cranks. Oh, I almost forgot. The Scarab bag, which is what? 10L? Not very aero, but that thing holds quite a bit so you are looking at at least 20L of possible storage space, closer to 25L with the Radical Design bag instead of the teeny bag I use.

Overall, I don't think the V20 can match the S40's max capacity because you can add panniers to an S40. So if you plan on carrying more than 25L of gear then the S40 is the way to go. But if you travel lightly and want to ride soon then a V20c is quite capable.
FB, thank you for the great feedback and recommendations. I definitely have had my eye on a V20 also and have been torn on the decision. The plan currently (I'm trying to persuade my wife) is to get an S40 and see if it gets me back out on the road more. If so, and I fall in love with the S40 and the recumbent life style over next year, then I'll order a V20 frame and custom build it over next winter. Then, for the 2024 season, the V20 will become my new "road" bike and I'll replace my upright commuter with the S40. That said, if the V20 could also be trialed, I would probably start with it.

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
FB, thank you for the great feedback and recommendations. I definitely have had my eye on a V20 also and have been torn on the decision. The plan currently (I'm trying to persuade my wife) is to get an S40 and see if it gets me back out on the road more. If so, and I fall in love with the S40 and the recumbent life style over next year, then I'll order a V20 frame and custom build it over next winter. Then, for the 2024 season, the V20 will become my new "road" bike and I'll replace my upright commuter with the S40. That said, if the V20 could also be trialed, I would probably start with it.
One thing you can always count on is the fact that if you do purchase an S40 you will have no trouble selling it when the times comes. All Cruzbikes seem to have very good resell numbers. I currently have both an S40 and a V20 (not V20c). I learned on a 2014 Silvio 2.0 which I sold to a forum member. I also sold my 2016 QX100 recently to a neighbor. These bikes are very desirable. The 100 mile trial offer is a great incentive too!

Last edited:

macg4d1g

I believe a recumbent can significantly help with your issue, whether that's a Cruzbike of not would need to be detetmined. I love my S40 but riding it does involve considerably more upper body control than a rear wheel drive recumbent which requires a much more relaxed arm input. Given your progress in PT I wouldn't suspect a problem but there is a difference between the two types of recumbent.
DK, thank you for the feedback. It makes sense that the Cruzbike MBB requires more control. Thanks for pointing that out. If my shoulders don't mind, I'd like to be able to engage my upper body and core for the hills we frequently ride here. Of course, if I get an S40 to trial, it will definitely be tested on hills.

macg4d1g

I received an email from Cruzbike yesterday, promoting the S40. It said that new complete builds will start shipping on November 15th. It also mentioned "three new colorways," but nothing else in terms of changes. So it sounds like it will pretty much be the 2022 model in new colors, which makes sense, since the 2022 model is a sizeable update over earlier models.
C, thank you for the heads up. I'll be checking my email. Yes, the last S40 seemed nicely equipped. I've never had a 1X drivetrain before but I know some gravel and mountain bike riders who love it. I'm excited to try it.

macg4d1g

One thing you can always count on is the fact that if you do purchase an S40 you will have no trouble selling it when the times comes. All Cruzbikes seem to have very good resell numbers. I currently have both an S40 and a V20 (not V20c). I learned on a 2014 Silvio 2.0 which I sold to a forum member. I also sold my 2016 QX100 recently to a neighbor. These bikes are very desirable. The 100 mile trial offer is a great incentive too!
A-L, thank you for your comments and sharing your current state of bike ownership. Sounds like you've gotten some great CB experience. You are correct. I am very much desiring a Cruzbike. Appreciate it.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
For a long time my only bike was my Grasshopper with a Rohloff. Then I got a Silvio. The most annoying thing was going back to Disraeli gears. Then I got Sram XX1. I found that, free from the double chainwheel, I hardly missed the IHG. The double chainwheel is the worst thing about Disraeli gears. My S40 has 12sp Shimano. The only problem is if you are a serious road racer. The 1X does not have close enough ratios for them.

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
For a long time my only bike was my Grasshopper with a Rohloff. Then I got a Silvio. The most annoying thing was going back to Disraeli gears. Then I got Sram XX1. I found that, free from the double chainwheel, I hardly missed the IHG. The double chainwheel is the worst thing about Disraeli gears. My S40 has 12sp Shimano. The only problem is if you are a serious road racer. The 1X does not have close enough ratios for them.
Well put. It really comes down to preference. 1 x 12 is great on my mtb. and gravel bikes. Never have I missed a front derailleur less. But on the V, two chainrings is a must for me. On a long, flat ride I will toggle mostly between a 52-13, 14, 15 as I encounter slight undulations and shifting breezes. I will choose the added complexity of a front derailleur on the V to avoid wishing for a gear I don't quite have half the time.

DayRider7

If you are still on the market for a S40 2023 model I have 1 for sell still in the box, purchased it last Dec for my dad but he wont be able to ride anytime soon, I’m looking to get $4k. Send me a private message I’m located in North Jersey.