24 hours in the canyon race report

Aikigreg

You know how they say that a bike race is really more of an eating contest? Well, 24 hours in the Canyons is more of a hydration and surviving the elements contest.

This race takes place in Palo Duro canyon, near Amarillo Texas, and is I think the second biggest canyon after Grand. It's the only simultaneous mountain bike and road race. You can race for 6, 12, or 24 hours. I chose the 12.

Originally the plan was to bring the V20 for the day piece but I snapped the chain on a training ride and elected to not tempt fate, so this isn't strictly speaking a Cruz race.

You're in the desert, so the elements are your real competitor. You also must camp, as the park is closed in the evening. So we arrived Friday and set up our tent. It's hot and humid, especially given the weather in this part of the country right now. I'm fact, it ended up coming a severe storm around 10 pm that we were certain was going to destroy the tent. All the stakes were pulled up and the tent hitting our heads as the game force winds battered us. The panic and stress kept me from sleeping much, and contributed to a less than ideal night before the race.

The next day is spent trying to avoid the sun as much as possible, staying hydrated and trying to relax. I spent the day reading and readying my bike. At dark I laid down but could not nap. Too much worry and anticipation and couldn't get my heart rate down. My body was racing even before the gun. Oh, did I mention this race starts at midnight? Did I also mention that this was my first race since 2015? How about my light battery deciding to go dead, so I had to order and install a whole unknown and untested light system the night before leaving?

I started off in good spirits and my fuel plan worked flawlessly. I knew every inch of the circuit and where to be to avoid some of the setups hazards on the rough road. Pretty soon I had racked up more miles than I had done all year. Right about dawn though the fatigue had my mind wandering and I was falling asleep. So I went back to the tent to take a quick nap. Safety first. It cost me an hour but that's how it goes.

I continued on, slowing as the body broke down and the miles, rough roads, and climbing took their toll. Oh, and the wind. It was pretty stiff and became brutal once the sun came up.

Anyway, long story short I have the 12 hour recumbent record now. 1000008871.jpg

Aikigreg

Oh I shouldn't forget to mention that the race is a benefit and the proceeds fund a cancel survivorship center to provide survivors free access to therapy, classes, and such. Huge shout-out to Jim McGowan and John and Laura Crawford to donating to help. There is still time to help me meet my fundraising goal. Click on the link below. Thanks!