26" wheels on S40

MariposaLand

Hello Tribe, I'm wanting to get the widest tire I can on the S40. Would going down to 26" buy me anything vs 27.5" I cannot tell that it would up front. Does anyone have an answer to this question? Thanks!

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Hi,

On some of the earlier bikes, and on the V20, for example, going to 26" from 700C wouldn't buy you anything, because the fork narrowed about half-way up for aerodynamic purposes. If you look at the S40 product page, you can see that the S40 fork is straight-legged, not narrowed. So you might be able to go up in tire cross-section if using a 26" wheel.

CB went to a lot of engineering effort to broaden the usable tire size range on the S40. Perhaps an owner can measure the fork clearance for you.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Best,

Doug

rdl03

I've put a Schwalbe 700x40 on the under the seat wheel. Just ordered a Hunt Rim that's 25mm internal width. Hoping to get up to 700x50 with that rim. (I bought my S40 (frame only) in Aug 21 - not sure which version that makes it. )
Certainly cheaper than buying a Q45 for the one horrible bumpy trail that I frequently ride