400K brevet in Trondheim, Norway

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Tor... what sort of camera is that? How did you position the camera, guess you must have had someone with you on the 400km brevet? Not much traffic either... is it early sunday morning? Stunning views. I could see the bike shaking but not the video so is the camera mounted on a gimbal?

That seemed to be an epic ride... don't think it gets much perfect than that.

Last edited:

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
It's a 360 deg camera and you can see the mount wrapped around his right brifter. If you look closely you'll see where the wrapped mount is cut out of the views point of view.

Tor Hovland

Thank you, guys!

Rojo is right, this was filmed using the awesome Insta360 One X. I firmly believe 360 is the future of action cameras. With the invisible selfie stick you can do even more spectacular shots, although it would look weird mounted on a bike. Check this out:

With a 360 camera, you don't worry about pointing it anywhere in particular. You can do all the panning and zooming on the computer (or phone) after the ride.

Another benefit of 360 cameras is the amazing image stabilization. Because the camera sees everywhere, it can stabilize any shot without cropping. You can actually throw the camera up in the air, letting it spin uncontrollably, and still get perfectly stable video!

I'm not using any gimbal, the camera is simply mounted to a GorillaPod on the handlebar, as you can see 8 seconds into the video. It looks flimsy, but it stayed solid for the entire 19 hours.

Yes, traffic was never an issue. Norway is thinly populated to begin with, and much of this ride was through rather remote areas. The ride was last Saturday, but it was the day after the Norwegian Constitution Day, with plenty celebrations, and that may have had an effect too.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I am thinking this would be a great bike safety item. Right now I have a front and rear camera on my S40 for crazy or inattentive drivers. With this 360 camera, I guess only one camera is needed if it's mounted on the helmet or something higher.

Can you please take a picture of how the camera is mounted? Thanks.

Tor Hovland

I am thinking this would be a great bike safety item. Right now I have a front and rear camera on my S40 for crazy or inattentive drivers. With this 360 camera, I guess only one camera is needed if it's mounted on the helmet or something higher.

Can you please take a picture of how the camera is mounted? Thanks.

In theory you are absolutely right. In practice, battery tech needs to improve first. I can't get much more than an hour of footage on a single battery. I have two, and I also left the camera charging for a stretch of the ride.

The mounting was very quickly and easily done by wrapping one of these around the handlebar:

l_10177138_009.jpg

jond

Zen MBB Master
Yup fly 6 and fly 12 still best safety camera light option with reasonable battery life 7 hours still after 14 months. Of course eyes and ears are fading for most of us old Cruzbike devotees so we need all the help we can get. Cue the flashing lights.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
In theory you are absolutely right. In practice, battery tech needs to improve first. I can't get much more than an hour of footage on a single battery. I have two, and I also left the camera charging for a stretch of the ride.

The mounting was very quickly and easily done by wrapping one of these around the handlebar:

l_10177138_009.jpg

Have you tried to connect a portable usb charger with >5000mah to the camera while riding to continuously charge the camera? I did that for my front camera and rode for many hours. The camera records continuously in loop mode.