44 bar / campag

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
I built up a Silvio for the Taipei Cycle Show and took it for a short test ride.

The bars were a bit narrow and took me a short distance to dial in my technique. Its amazing what a difference even just 2 cm makes on how the bike rides. I will have to try the WTB Mountain Road Bars out.

The Campag Chorus is nice, but coudn't fine a matching braze on FD, went to a 105 instead. I think the Shimano shifters a little easier to down shift with as you can just swipe the whole lever with your hand, whereas the campag requires you find the small lever and just swipe that. A couple of times I caught my nails on the brake lever while downshifting. The upshifts on the thumb were easy.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
johntolhurst wrote: I built up a Silvio for the Taipei Cycle Show and took it for a short test ride.

The Campag Chorus is nice, but coudn't fine a matching braze on FD, went to a 105 instead. I think the Shimano shifters a little easier to down shift with as you can just swipe the whole lever with your hand, whereas the campag requires you find the small lever and just swipe that. A couple of times I caught my nails on the brake lever while downshifting. The upshifts on the thumb were easy.

I considered this, too. I think the key is to find the sweet spot where the shift lever is easy to hit and the brake lever a bit of a reach. It might take some trial and error, but Campy stuff is just so nice. I think it's worth the effort. The thing I really like about Campy stuff is the ability to just rip up and down the cassette as needed, as opposed to "katunk, katunk, katunk, katunk", one or two cogs at a time.

Mark

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
The shimano brifters will shift three up at one long swipe, but the lever comes right over the leg path, so have to time it right. Putting the campag levers rotated up more puts them up in the air more and you lose that visually convincing flat horozontal alignment of the bar and the shifters.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
johntolhurst wrote: The shimano brifters will shift three up at one long swipe, but the lever comes right over the leg path, so have to time it right. Putting the campag levers rotated up more puts them up in the air more and you lose that visually convincing flat horozontal alignment of the bar and the shifters.

The WTB bar as suggested by Brian may make all these moot points. ;)

Mark

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Mark B wrote: The WTB bar as suggested by Brian may make all these moot points. ;)

Mark
Yes, hope so. Found something similar at the show, will get a slightly modified version done as a sample and test it.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
I should have a WTB bar here mid-week. I had planned to use it on bike#2, but I may update the review bike with it instead. The review bike currently has 46cm drop bars.

Another interesting twist is that several of the 46cm bars I saw advertised were measured "outside to outside". This is actually closer to a 44cm bar when measured center-to-center.

Gotta watch that fine print...

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Heres a couple of pics of the bar I found at the show. I'll widen it by 2cm and take 4cm off the ends. Note the shape allowing the knee clearance and the pronouced curve for mounting the levers:
55_7e3696ec77401240565f2d0737fa965e

55_adb46138848e97c30157a4eb698b49ee

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Nice find, John...

Do these suppliers list US dealers or alternate sources where we can get these parts?

The array of parts available in Taiwan is amazing (as you of course know) and there's so much produced there that we in the US never see (to be a bit geocentric).

Continue to enjoy yourself - and take many photos...

Doug

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Mark B wrote: I still say those bars scream to have that lowest leg of the bend whacked off.

Mark

I have asked for 2cm to be added to the clamping area and this will increase the width 2cm also. And I asked they remove4.5cm from each end. I think the curves of these bars and the great ergonomics are a match made in heaven as someone already said. :cool:

defjack

Zen MBB Master
johntolhurst wrote:
Mark B wrote: I still say those bars scream to have that lowest leg of the bend whacked off.

Mark

I have asked for 2cm to be added to the clamping area and this will increase the width 2cm also. And I asked they remove4.5cm from each end. I think the curves of these bars and the great ergonomics are a match made in heaven as someone already said. :cool:
Does this mean there will be a Silvio special bar for sale soon? Jack

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
defjack wrote: Does this mean there will be a Silvio special bar for sale soon? Jack

John said they were making him a sample for testing. I would say there's a good liklihood, but it may be awhile before we see it.

Mark

The 25.4mm width fits perfectly with the bracket/clamp system of the Silvio

I WOULD NEVER consider cutting 2cm off the ends, I feel the ends are a perfect length on my Silvio, they don't get in anyones way and allows my palms to rest while holding the bars, if they were not there I would have to keep a tighter grip because your hands would want to slide off. But thats only the opinion of someone who has used these bars for 140 miles on a Silvio.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Brian Lewis wrote: But thats only the opinion of someone who has used these bars for 140 miles on a Silvio.

I have to admit I like the looks of the whacked bar, but I'll probably try riding it some before I cut. Only because you are so adamant about it, Brian. I find that oddly....invigorating. ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mark

kling

Hi all,

I'd like the widened bars, but I think my work colleagues would lynch me, my 42cm bars takes up enough space in the bike rack as it is.

Need a Tardis function included on the Silvio Gen II wishlist ;)

cheers (and have a blessed Easter everyone)
Kendrick