600K brevet in Trondheim, Norway

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Hey Tor,

I saw it all... impressive. Even that little dog couldn't believe his eyes... classic. Tell me... You must know the roads up there inside out.... Did you have a map routing on your cyclometer? Guess you must have had an extra big spare battery? Also the ambient light at night... is it really that bright at 1 am or is that the camera?

ed72

Zen MBB Master
I think it kinda stays sorta light. Sunset around midnight and sunrise 3 or 3:30 am. Or at least it seemed that way in my tent back in the day. SO, I guess not much headlights needed. LOL. Enjoyed the video. Hope to see you in France, Thor (sic).

jond

Zen MBB Master
Congratulations too.

Couple things I noticed from video.

Lucky man being blessed with your family.

Wearing no gloves at times makes you braver than I.

No clear glasses a bug in the eye at speed can end your ride. I know fogging can be an insurmountable issue in rain at cool temps. For this I use a Velcro attached visor that if angled correctly keeps stinging rain out of your eyes. And fair bit of wind.

The visor is called da brim 100 mm version. But don’t try it out new for pbp.

Again hearty congratulations on an epic journey. Tough as. Your bravery on the unsealed roads in the wet was noted.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
A great big hearty congratulations on the 600K, the Super Randonneur Series, and the ticket to the PBP! I was hoping to see you and Ed there but it is not to be. So, I'll be cheering for you guys all the way to Brest and back. Good luck and enjoy the journey.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
The final PBP qualifier has been completed, and once again the Vendetta made it an enjoyable experience!
Best ride video I have ever watched Tor - Would love to do that route sometime - put it on my bucket list! The timing with almost the longest days of the summer was also a great choice!
Question - You appeared to be riding on gravel for a while - over the steepest and highest part of the ride I think. How many km of gravel roads was that? Seemed like quite a bit. How did the Vendetta handle on? Any close calls?
Larry

Tor Hovland

Wow, thanks for all the nice replies, everyone! I'll try to answer your questions:

Routing: the road network is really quite straightforward through these remote areas. I could easily have memorized all of it using Google Maps and Street View. However, I did prepare a GPX track using plotaroute.com and uploaded it to OsmAnd on my phone. I used that a few times around Steinkjer and Levanger in order to find my way. I used my Forerunner 935 as the cyclometer. It is very energy efficient, and just needed some topping up during the ferry and the sleep stop. I also used my Edge 820 to check time in hand for the ferry crossing, but I didn't bother charging it after that. It is simply too power hungry for long rides. So yes, I did bring a power bank for charging watch, phone, as well as the camera.

https://www.plotaroute.com/route/836461
https://www.plotaroute.com/route/842674
https://www.plotaroute.com/route/842718

Light: It really is bright during the summers over here:

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/norway/trondheim

I had 21 hours of daylight per day, and from 23:45 until 2:45 there was what's called "civil twilight", which is still reasonably bright. I didn't really need the headlamp for this ride. Further north in Norway, at 66,5 degrees north, you would cross the arctic circle, and the sun stays up 24 hours. A few years ago, we visited Svalbard and the world's northernmost settlements at 78 degrees north. It was odd to leave Oslo in dusk and see how it got brighter as we flew north into the night. When we got there at 3:00 AM, the sun wasn't only visible, but it was as high on the sky as you would expect mid-day.

Gloves and glasses: Yes, I suppose I should keep them on. At some points I just didn't bother finding them. I do have clear lenses, and that's going to be useful during night riding in France. Da Brim does look useful!

Gravel: There wasn't a whole lot of gravel. The section at 12:24 in the video was a 5 km long shortcut (included in the brevet route, I hasten to add). The long section starting at 17:27 went on for 18 km. Yes, this was also the hilliest part of the ride. I am very happy about the MTB cassette setup I wrote about here: https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/solo-touring-in-norway-on-a-loaded-vendetta.12618/ I use the lower gears all the time. I also use the top gears, of course. Sometimes I wish for a 53T chainwheel, but I don't want to sacrifice my low gears. I don't find the Vendetta to be very harsh on gravel roads. As long as the road is smooth, I have no issues. Of course, a road filled with bumps and potholes is less pleasant than it would be on a DF. In short, I would much rather do 23 km on gravel with the Vendetta than 577 km on asphalt with a DF :)

No close calls, but there's still a limit to how fast I dare to go downhill. I'm getting faster, but so far I won't go above 60 km/h (37 mph) on this bike. If there's a gust of sidewind at that speed, it's a little scary. I'm sure that's just how it feels, and that both the bike and me would have been able to handle more if I had to. I've also read on this forum that the handling has been improved since the Vendetta V1.0, and I would be very interested in hearing from somebody with direct experience with this. But all in all, I'm very happy with my bike.

If any of you ever want a guided tour over here, let me know! You can ride my Vendetta while I take the Bacchetta :)

Ed, I'm looking forward to see another Cruzbike (or more) in the recumbent start group in Paris!

Last edited:

DavidCH

ng faster, but so far I won't go above 60 km/
Same boat... i freeze if i stop pedaling... the ride does feel better if the wheels are balanced. I quite often find it gusty. I have a deep rim on the front so good to be cautious.

DavidCH

If any of you ever want a guided tour over here, let me know!
Might take you up on that kind offer... Spain at the moment is hells kitchen but i am still training for France on the 19 to 21st July. Not sure what its going to be like or even if it will happen. Tarmac at 55 c degrees melts as its done in Australia. Might turn my hydro bag into an ice bag and put it down the shirt. Christoph Strasser has a special puff puff atomiser attached to his cockpit so it cools him down without him having to change position... very clever.