700 * 32C tyre on a new Silvio S30

BrianA

I have 28 C tyres fitted to

I have 28 C tyres fitted to my S30 and there doesn't appear to be much wriggle room left on either the front or rear. Even if a 32 C tyre did fit the rear there may be a problem in clearing the brake pads, depending on they type of brake fitted. I certainly could not fit a bigger tyre to mine.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
what are the side and top

what are the side and top clearances using different sized Allen keys as go/nogo feeler gauges.
What is the rim width at the brake surface?

I will be using disk brakes, but my Shim Ultegra rim brakes ( on my trusty OLD Silvio 1.0) have heaps of clearance (9 mm) on my 28C Schwalbe Ultremo ZX on 19 mm wide (brake surface) rims. Its just a bitch to loosen off the brakes enough to get the wheel off without deflating the tyre.

BrianA

Sorry but I had a seniors

Sorry but I had a seniors moment and was confusing the tyre clearances between the Silvio S30 and my Trek 7.7. I normally run 25 C tyres on the S30 but tried the 28 C from the Trek on the back of the Silvio. Measurements are:

Rim width at brake surface - 20mm
Clearance between top of tyre and frame - 5mm
Clearance between side of tyre and frame - 5mm

I don't suppose it makes much difference, but for your information the tyre is a Schwalbe Durano plus. Hope this helps.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Brian thanks and the tyre

Brian thanks and the tyre being a Durano PLUS means that it has 3 to 5 mm of puncture protection latex on the tyre top, so a higher profile than for a Schwalbe Ultremo ZX? tyre.

From this a 700C*32 ?Schwalbe Marathon Supreme on a 19 mm inside, 25 mm brake surface rim, should fit OK with its width at 34 mm (+3 mm each side) (measured +5 mm each side) and +4 mm height (measured +8 mm)

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
My Schwalbe One tubeless 28s had some space left, but I didn't measure before sending the bike off to be modified (subject of other thread).
Imho, these look dorky in comparison to my 23mm Duranos with the white stripe, but I decided that I disliked spinning-out the front wheel on steep hills more than I disliked the dorky-ish look.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Have you ever had a flat on the road with the tubeless tyres and been able to repair and pump the tyre back up?

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Honestly, I haven't run it enough to know. I just carry a tube just in case, since it'd happily fit if I shred the tire.
From what I've read of others experiences, the chances of a flat are smaller with the tubeless, and in many case it self-seals, so no needing to repair/pump in many/most cases.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I keep an o-crap tube taped in a zip-lock bag in the Silvio and Vendetta frame bodies. Fortunately I yet to use them; the only flat I had to stop for last season on the tubeless was such a huge 4 inch tear in the tire body that there was no way could have repaired it with a tube.

Ifan Payne

On the subject of tires, I have enough experience with goatheads in New Mexico to I know that I am going to run 28mm Continental Hardshell Gatorskin.
I have a choice of 19mm rims or 24mm rims. I would prefer the 24mm rims because that will give me a fatter cross section at the low PSI that I use. Does anyone know whether there is enough clearance on Silvio 30 for a 28mm tire on a 24mm rim? (I'm using disc brakes, so no issue there.)

Since changing from Schwalbe to the Gatorskins I have had very good experience with these tires on my two road bikes, 55psi front, 65 psi rear, Stans injected into the tubes, and no flats on either bike in two years and thousands of miles riding.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Ifan, you should be okay either way. I run 19mm rim with 28mm tires on my Silvio 2.0 and Vendetta 2.0. I've found that the limiting factor on my Silvio 2.0, is the bottom of the front fork on the frontal area (I filed mine down 1.5 mm to make respectable clearance). I believe the Silvio 20 has a little more clearance. Ratz and Robert recommend the wider road rims.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Cycling from Key West, Fl (southernmost point of the 48 contiguous states) up to Canada (via Maine).
Should take 63 days total, of which we've already done 7 or 8.

The silvio brag forum has some pictures of my setup, except that it doesn't show the 28s (it had 23s on for the photoshoot since they're prettier ;))
I'll try to measure with an allen key today.