700c's? Stem Mods?

jhughe20

I've been commuting/pleasure-riding on an upright putting in about 300 mi. a week w/loaded front & rear panniers (about 30lbs together) for a while now, and in the back of my mind I've always been looking to someday upgrade to a recumbent for some serious cross-country self-supported touring. While I've been looking at the BEAUTIFUL optima falcon (replacing the optima condor & dragon), it's wayyy out of my price range. I just stumbled upon the cruz bike conversion kits today- I love the idea of a FWB and I've got a few questions about the plausibility of conversions that I'd really appreciate some help with.

1. The biggest issue here for me is getting decent, reliable components in a donor bike. In the little time I've had to research, I've seen people suggest getting 20" kids bikes. Is this necessary/recommended? I'd much rather have a full size, decent used mtb with the option of 700c's. I think the beauty of the conversion is being able to save parts (esp. decent Mavic wheelsets w/Deore hubs) from my upright touring to use them in the conversion.

2. The front and rear suspension allow for skinny 700c's, minimizing rolling resistance and rotational weight- what, if any, conversions are required to put 700c's on a dual sus mtb frame? Is this typical for a conversion, or do people tend to stick with their original wheels?

3. I've read many of the threads surrounding stem conversion issues- admittedly, I am new to this and I end up a little confused reading the previous threads. This may be a loaded question, but what are the potential problems I could run into? It seems most used mtbs on craigslist are non-threaded stems, so that is likely what I'll end up with. A cost estimate for resolving those potential problems would be a godsend.

4. I may have rushed into the forums/asking questions without checking the site first, but are there any free manuals available to give me a better idea of the steps involved in a conversion? Just trying to make sure things will work out before investing.

Thanks so much in advance to any help you guys can offer.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
It all depends on your budget

It all depends on your budget and whether you are tinkerer or not.

If you are a tinkerer, patient personality and have alot of used bike parts at your disposal you could go for the conversion kit and a [URL='http://www.cruzbike.com/v2k-frameset" target="_blank" title="Open in a new window">V2/K Frameset[/URL] and build it from there. It fits 700c wheels and standard MTB wheels too. Otherwise look for a decent Y frame mountain bike with relatively low toptube area and get the conversion kit.

If you are not a tinkerer and don't like spending alot of time in a DYI session get a softrider. It can also fit be converted to use 700c wheels with the help of your LBS.

Hope this helps.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Oh, by the way, Here some

Oh, by the way, Here some pictures I came across of modified softriders/V2K with 700c wheels:

This one is a Softrider modified by [URL='users/nanda-h" title="View user profile.">Nanda H[/URL]
alt="Softrider with 700c wheels"
3857712809_70725d360d.jpg

Here is a V2k one by [URL='users/doug-burton" title="View user profile.">Doug Burton[/URL]:

alt="V2k 700c"
V2K-29er-01.jpg

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Questions!

Hi jHughe20,

No need to be bashful, fire away with the questions.

The key to selecting a donor bike, if you intend to use the frame, is to find one with a low top tube. This is not as easy as it used to be, which is why we offer the V2K frameset. These bikes work best with a seat height of about 2 - 3 inches shorter than your inseam; this makes it easy to manage the bike at a stop, and when starting off.

700c capability is determined by the fork you use. If you mount the conversion kit to a 700c (or 29'r in MTB terminology) then evrything will fit up fine. You can also usually fit 700c wheels to a 26" MTB fork (rigid) if you use a road brake caliper. You may have to use a road caliper on the rear (the MTB V-brake posts won't line up with the 700c wheels - there have been some enterprising solutions developed by our members here.)

Your Mavic/Deore wheels will work; you may need to put a 2mm axle spacer washer on heach side to mate with the triangle brackets in front, but that's no big deal. We supply a conversion axle for putting your front wheel on the rear; this is designed to work with a ball bearing hub (which the Deore hub is) so that should also work for you.

Using the steering column on a 1 1/8 inch threadless fork is a straight bolt-on; using it with a 1" threaded fork usually requires a quill adapter you can get for about $15 just about anywhere online.

I've built a couple of conversions with 700c wheels; You can see most of my work here:

http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s218/db1488/?start=all

Cheers,

Doug

romelman

130mm road wheel spacing

Isn't the conversion kit when assembled according to instruction spaced for 135mm hub axle? How do we assemble the kit to allow for 130mm road wheel axles?

Plazebo

2mm spacer x2

"you may need to put a 2mm axle spacer washer on <strike>h</strike>each side" - Doug Burton (#4)