A 1000 km solo brevet around the south of Norway

Greg S

A few comments about the video (which I really enjoyed!):
  • That last bit of climbing (the 9 hills) looked tough! Especially with 800K in the legs.
  • I really hate the last 50K of a long brevet - it just seems like it'll never end (50K to go, 49.9K to go...). The one thing that helps me is to go really hard, as hard as I can at the end. It hurts but it does both make it go faster and gives you something to think about other than how far you have left to go.
  • I thought the campers in the tunnel was cool! Having the hammocks stretched across the tunnel was an interesting way to camp.
  • Over the mountains in the first 100-150K, it looks like a single lane road - was it?
Thanks for sharing the video, enjoyed watching it!

Tor Hovland

A couple of follow up questions about the camera. I'm watching the video again and notice in a number of shots that there's a cable that runs over the handlebars and then "disappears" (I've attached a screen shot). Is this a control cable for the camera that s/w makes invisible? Also, I noticed a number of times where the view in the camera changes and yet it appears both of your hands are on the grips. How is this done?

The reason I'm being such a pest about the camera is I've always carried one on long brevets and I never use it - never. I carried one all through London Edinburgh London and took exactly one picture - at the start. When I'm riding, I'll see something and think "that'd make a good picture" but either I'm moving fast enough that by the time I'd get the camera out I'd be past it and don't want to turn around or I don't want to stop. I'd really like to have more pictures from my long brevets and am trying to find a better solution than carrying a camera in a pocket or tank bag as I've done in the past.
It's cool that you're showing such an interest in the 360 camera. I think it's such a paradigm shift, and I'm happy to elaborate.

The cable is simply a USB cable for charging. The one thing that's not great on the Insta360 One X is the battery life. The camera has two fisheye lenses, one on each side. The camera actually produces two video files, one for each lens. The software (Windows, Mac, iOS or Android) stitches the two images together. Each lens covers slightly more than 180 degrees, so there is sufficient overlap for stitching, as well as for actually cancelling out pretty much all of the camera body from the image. But the stitching isn't perfect, and you'll sometimes see this in the video. For example if one lens is directed toward the sun, the two streams will not have exact exposure, and you'll see the seam somewhere in the sky. You will also sometimes see that the boom or the handlebar on the bike appears cut in two. In the image above, you see it just to the right of the camera bracket. And the reason the cable seems to disappear is that it enters that area where the two streams overlap, so the software is able to make it invisible.

Now, how do I change the view? Keep in mind that the camera isn't filming in any particular direction, it captures everything. Now I could use that to post a 360 video to YouTube, where you could pan the picture around yourself. But nobody wants to do that. Instead I can use the software to point at whatever I want to show, and then export a traditional video. This means I'm actually throwing away data, but the nice thing is that I have everything that happened around me available to put into the video.

This all means I don't have to spend time composing the picture while I'm riding. All I'm doing is, when I see something that I think would be nice to include in the video, I turn on the camera and start recording. Then I stop it again before long. The flipside is that I have to spend all that time in front of my PC instead, but at least getting the footage is no big deal at all.

I don't use the camera for photos, only for videos. You could certainly use it for photos, but then I think the fisheye lenses become a problem. You would typically want to zoom in on something, and as soon as you do, you throw away more data and end up with a low resolution image. Plus, it's almost impossible to get a good picture without part of me or my bike in it. It's great for selfies, though. Actually, I can show you, because I accidentally took a few photos when I meant to start recording.

This is the kind of wide-angle shot I can get:
IMG_20200711_085638_00_097_2020-08-13_21-25-31_screenshot.jpg

If I wanted something that's not so wide angle, I could do this:
IMG_20200711_085638_00_097_2020-08-13_21-35-19_screenshot.jpg

But if for some reason I wanted to zoom in on the cars behind, this is as good as it gets:
IMG_20200711_085638_00_097_2020-08-13_21-26-41_screenshot.jpg

Tor Hovland

• That last bit of climbing (the 9 hills) looked tough! Especially with 800K in the legs.
  • I really hate the last 50K of a long brevet - it just seems like it'll never end (50K to go, 49.9K to go...). The one thing that helps me is to go really hard, as hard as I can at the end. It hurts but it does both make it go faster and gives you something to think about other than how far you have left to go.
  • I thought the campers in the tunnel was cool! Having the hammocks stretched across the tunnel was an interesting way to camp.
  • Over the mountains in the first 100-150K, it looks like a single lane road - was it?
Absolutely. You should read Oscar's ride report. He describes those hills pretty well :)

I'm usually fine with the end of brevets, because I know I'm so close to wrapping it up. At PBP last year, the final section was my fastest and strongest. But endings can be tough when an evening shifts into a night.

Yeah, I didn't know about the tunnel camping, so I didn't expect that. But they certainly didn't expect me either :)

The road is a little wider than a single lane, but too narrow to put a center line in it. Quite common in rural areas around here. Two cars can usually pass just fine. There are also meeting spots here and there where bigger vehicles can get through.

Now I could use that to post a 360 video to YouTube, where you could pan the picture around yourself.
For an example of this, see what @DARYLHANGER945 shared on his YouTube channel.
Another excellent example of edited video is here by @Barefoot Biker.
I think I'll be adding one of these 360 cameras to my collection. The Insta360 One X looks like it could be the most aerodynamic. There are tons of tutorials and examples out there for like this one showing editing being done on an iPad.

Last edited:

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Tor,
Do you just connect the camera to a USB portable charger and record continuously for your entire ride? Or do you only record a few minutes at a time?

I have a front and back camera recording continuously in 5 min increments, but it's just for recording bad drivers or anything else interesting that may come along... deer, skunk, barking dog...

Tor Hovland

Do you just connect the camera to a USB portable charger and record continuously for your entire ride? Or do you only record a few minutes at a time?
I only record a few minutes at a time. The memory card has room for about 2,5 hours of footage.

I wouldn't mind having some sort of continuous recording in case of bad drivers, though. I don't experience that often, but when I do it would be nice to have the episode on video.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I have a question... I enjoyed the video for sure. I noticed much more traffic on the 2nd half of the journey. I noticed too that at checkpoints you seem just to get a receipt for something to show that you had been there at that time. Do you need to hand in the receipts to show that you rode the brevity? I was expecting someone to greet you and register you on an app or something. I am quite naive as I've never done 1000km brevity. Probably a good challenge... maybe next year. Did you have a 10l bag hanging on the end of the bike? Where did you hide your jacket and stuff?

Tor Hovland

I have a question... I enjoyed the video for sure. I noticed much more traffic on the 2nd half of the journey. I noticed too that at checkpoints you seem just to get a receipt for something to show that you had been there at that time. Do you need to hand in the receipts to show that you rode the brevity? I was expecting someone to greet you and register you on an app or something. I am quite naive as I've never done 1000km brevity. Probably a good challenge... maybe next year. Did you have a 10l bag hanging on the end of the bike? Where did you hide your jacket and stuff?
Hi, David!

The first 440 km, until Kongsberg, were mostly through sparsely populated areas in the interior, so that makes sense.

At the checkpoints I have to get a stamp in the brevet card. It's traditionally how this has been done in France and everywhere else. The ride organizer will accept the brevet based on this. Even with electronic timing mats on the PBP, there are still brevet cards for historic reasons. At larger events where randonneuring is more popular, such as in France, Spain, UK, Thailand, and the US, there will be manned controls, but that's a bit over the top when you expect zero or one participants :)

I have the 25l Radical Banana Racer hanging over each side of the seat. Not waterproof, but I put drybags with my stuff in there. It works really well.

For an example of this, see what @DARYLHANGER945 shared on his YouTube channel.

First off, looks like you had a great ride! I have not had time to look through all of it yet but hopefully will soon. I am not sure where your question came from "Now I could use that to post a 360 video to YouTube, where you could pan the picture around yourself." but I see one of my videos have been referenced and I think you can do what you are looking to do with my video. Thought I would share what I have for my setup and see if you can get your setup to work in a similar way if that is what you are looking to do. I have a Samsung Gear360 camera that I mount to my handlebars and then load the videos into the gear 360 action director software (you may have to verify that you have a Gear360 to use it) and the resulting video can be manually drug around post edit and in Youtube. i think it also lets you move your phone around and it will change the view as well. Hope this helps. Look forward to reading about your brevet.

Tor Hovland

Hi, Daryl!

It wasn't a question, though. I just said that while I could use my footage to post a 360 video to YouTube, that's not why I use a 360 camera. I prefer to edit the footage on my PC (even if it is a lot of work), and produce a traditional video. And I do think that makes for easier watching as well.

dule0911

Brilliant, well done! The elevation change is really great for 3 days of riding, even if they are not that steep. Norway reminds me a bit of Switzerland in some angles, would love to visit it someday.