About to pull the trigger on a Q45, but have questions

timspong

I ride mostly paved bike trails with moderate hills. I was debating between a Q45 and an S40 but the price of the S40 is too much for me at the moment and finding a used S40 in my area (northern Virginia) is unlikely.

As far as the Q45:

1. Is there likely to be a new model soon as it seems the latest one is 2022, how often do they come out with new models?

2. I plan on having a rack, how far back can you tilt the seat with a rack on it?

3. I heard the seat comfort wasn’t that great. Is the seat on a 2022 more comfortable that previous models?

4. I understand from other posts that the seat can’t recline that much anymore due to changes in the 2021 and 2022 models. how far back will it recline?

Thanks a lot

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
1. The Q series is hyper stable. Even my Q20 in the garage isn't that much different from the new ones. The last major change was the boom design. Consider it a stable design and that if it changes it will mostly be colors.

2. The racks I have used don’t impact the recline on the Q20 nor T50 I would expect similar from the Q45

3. Seat comfort has more to do with the time you put into setting it up correctly. I’ve done centuries and longer on 4 different models, not an issue. The Ventisit upgrade is usually the one most people go for. People That want more power or a completely different experience will put a Carbon seat from CB or Thor Composites on; but when you need that or want that you know why and then the cost isn’t really an issue because it more about being that person that want to hyper customize their ride and no stock part is going to do it; hence the industry term “take offs” you take off the factory part that you don’t like, and that’s biking.

4. Recline is overrate; dropping it beyond the stock range is more about putting the frame to use outside its design envelope. If you want that I’d suggest a kit build where you start by snagging an older Q20 frame off the internet; they are often on ebay or craigs list in fact, then build it up; The recline will be limited to your size of tires and you willingness to drill holes in the seat.

This is a good post Tim and you are taking the right approach ask a lot of questions. Can some of you that have the Q45 and have modified it post some pictures and share what you have done and what you are unwilling to do but could with more stomach for failure ?

One of the changes as of late is that their are so many designs now and with the frame kits if the stock builds are out of your budget you can get a frame kit, and then build it up with budget bits and bobs to meat your goals. The stock stuff is for people That can’t do it themselves and they have to live with the design eveloped because of economies of mass productions.

The grest news is you want your CB and there’s a hold group of people here that like to help.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I ride mostly paved bike trails with moderate hills. I was debating between a Q45 and an S40 but the price of the S40 is too much for me at the moment and finding a used S40 in my area (northern Virginia) is unlikely.

As far as the Q45:

1. Is there likely to be a new model soon as it seems the latest one is 2022, how often do they come out with new models?

2. I plan on having a rack, how far back can you tilt the seat with a rack on it?

3. I heard the seat comfort wasn’t that great. Is the seat on a 2022 more comfortable that previous models?

4. I understand from other posts that the seat can’t recline that much anymore due to changes in the 2021 and 2022 models. how far back will it recline?

Thanks a lot
TIm, I see Ratz answered most of you questions.
If you are near me, I have assembled the largest kown collection of Cruzbikes - I call it the Cruzeum. I have all older versions of the "Q, or Quest" family and most can be ridden. Cruzbike also just made me a dealer, and now I have all of the 4 newest models to drool over and try as well. If you are close enough for a field trip, you are welcome to come by a take a look and test drive what you like. I offer personal setup and fit, training, etc. I live on Hilton Head Island, SC.
Larry Oslund

20230726_175011.jpg

timspong

TIm, I see Ratz answered most of you questions.
If you are near me, I have assembled the largest kown collection of Cruzbikes - I call it the Cruzeum. I have all older versions of the "Q, or Quest" family and most can be ridden. Cruzbike also just made me a dealer, and now I have all of the 4 newest models to drool over and try as well. If you are close enough for a field trip, you are welcome to come by a take a look and test drive what you like. I offer personal setup and fit, training, etc. I live on Hilton Head Island, SC.
Larry Oslund

View attachment 15208
I actually live about a 20 hr round trip from you and I had to get something sorted out asap as my wife is buying it for my birthday on Tuesday. I ordered the Q45 today as it was in stock so hopefully I’ll get it soon. I may get something like a V20 at some point so may take you up on your offer then.

woodguy

Hi Tim - Welcome to the Cruzbike Tribe! I bought my Q-45 The first day they were offered in 2018, and have no regrets. I have made a few changes including a Thor seat. I found the stock seat gave me some butt pain on long rides, and the extra recline, along with the ergonomic shape is really more comfortable for me. I’m over 200 lb, so that might have something to do with the butt pain too. I have the Thor set at about 35 degrees, and that puts most of my weight on my back, not my butt. I rode it Coast to Coast (about 65 miles a day) in 2019, and had no pain.

As far as your other questions, I’ve read the same thing about the new model not reclining as much, but I think that may depend on how creative you are, even with a rear rack. If you look at the picture of my bike below, you will notice that I inverted the seat post so the bend goes the other way. I got a lot more reclinability by doing that.

The other thing I did, which I really like, but I don’t see anyone else doing it, is that I mounted a big water bottle on the bottom of my boom & use a hose to drink from it. Easy to refill, twice the capacity of a regular bottle, and I’m not reaching for a bottle While riding.

You don’t say if you have ridden a Cruzbike before. If not, be sure to study & follow the instructions on the website about how to learn. It will help your learning curve for sure.
IMG_1274.jpeg

timspong

Hi Tim - Welcome to the Cruzbike Tribe! I bought my Q-45 The first day they were offered in 2018, and have no regrets. I have made a few changes including a Thor seat. I found the stock seat gave me some butt pain on long rides, and the extra recline, along with the ergonomic shape is really more comfortable for me. I’m over 200 lb, so that might have something to do with the butt pain too. I have the Thor set at about 35 degrees, and that puts most of my weight on my back, not my butt. I rode it Coast to Coast (about 65 miles a day) in 2019, and had no pain.

As far as your other questions, I’ve read the same thing about the new model not reclining as much, but I think that may depend on how creative you are, even with a rear rack. If you look at the picture of my bike below, you will notice that I inverted the seat post so the bend goes the other way. I got a lot more reclinability by doing that.

The other thing I did, which I really like, but I don’t see anyone else doing it, is that I mounted a big water bottle on the bottom of my boom & use a hose to drink from it. Easy to refill, twice the capacity of a regular bottle, and I’m not reaching for a bottle While riding.

You don’t say if you have ridden a Cruzbike before. If not, be sure to study & follow the instructions on the website about how to learn. It will help your learning curve for sure.
View attachment 15226
wow nice bike set up do you have a blog or something with more details? I can't wait to start tinkering. Looks like my bike is arriving tomorrow :)

Velocivixen

Here’s my new to me Q45. Just some sassy fun. I upgraded to the handlebar that comes on new Q45s, new thumb shifter, grips, brake levers & calipers/discs, 2” wide tires & mtb pedals.

Attachments

• IMG_3815.jpeg
    IMG_3815.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3816.jpeg
    IMG_3816.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:

woodguy

wow nice bike set up do you have a blog or something with more details? I can't wait to start tinkering. Looks like my bike is arriving tomorrow :)
I’m not tech savvy enough to find the post where I described my installation of the Thor seat. Can you help @Mathew Fy ? He has found and reposted it in the past. It was in response to an earlier question about the Thor. The rear rack is standard Cruzbike with an after market bag attached with velcro. The water bottle mount is my own creation with plumbing parts found at a local home center.

I did do a blog during my Coast to Coast trip in 2019, which also has some history of how I set the bike up for that. It also has daily posts of the trip itself. Go to jimscruiseacrossamerica.blogspot.com. I just looked & it is still active.

Enjoy your new Q45. I know you will love it.