Acronyms

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Lots of folks on these boards are using acronmyms that I do not know. Is there some good site or posting that goes over all the different biking acronyms?

I would think a FAQ or glossary would be very helpful on this site.

FWD= Front Wheel Drive but past that...

BB
DF
SWB
MBB
BROL
TFT
LWB and CLWB

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
BB - bottom bracket
DF -

BB - bottom bracket
DF - diamond frame (regular bike)
SWB - short wheel base
MBB - moving bottom bracket - having the pedals turn when the steering turns
BROL - bent riders on line
TFT - ???
LWB and CLWB - (compact) long wheel base

Cheers,
Charles

DarkHorseSki

thanks...

Why do FWD and MBB get used then, when aren't they, in effect, the same thing?

I think I had SWB as short wheel base, just forgot that I knew it while listing the various acronyms I'd run across just during my reading today. I bet there are plenty of other acronyms I didn't even see yet so if there is a list or if anybody can list out any I missed, that would be great.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi,
There are front wheel

Hi,

There are front wheel drive bikes that are not moving bottom brackets. The pedals do not move with the front wheel. (I don't have a picture handy, but there is an idler between the pedals and the front wheel that lets the wheel turn.

I've have seen a specific recumbent list of acronyms in the past, but I don't remember where (you might be able to find it with Google).

Cheers,
Charles

Vargas

TFT

TFT = Telescoping Front Tube

and thanks for the DF. I new it meant a regular bike, but my searches returned Mexico City as DF...

Performer Front-wheel drive with fixed bottom-bracket

The Performer Front-wheel drive(FWD) with fixed bottom-bracket recumbent is an example of a production model which offers a contrasting design to the Cruzbike.

http://www.performer.com.tw/2010/user/product_2.php?wp=05&sno=00068

I seem to recall a review of this bike whose owner reports that the frame feels stiff and doesn't suffer from the frame/boom flex, and comparative power transfer losses that many rear-wheel drive recumbents seem to have. Like the Cruzbike, this Performer FWD has a short chainline, though serpentine with idlers compared to the Cruzbike, which one would expect to address the boom/frame flex problem. Unlike the Cruzbike, the Performer with its fixed bottom-bracket(BB) will not offer the rider the ability to recruit the upper body muscles to aid in hill climbing, and sprinting because you can't pull on the handlebars without losing steering control.