Aero Helmet Visors

M.J

I bought an "Eastinear" aero helmet from Amazon and like it well enough except for the shield shape. I would like a shield that extends down a little farther to keep the air out of my eyes. I've been using masking tape "fairings" at the bottom of the lens, which works ok-ish but I'm not going to want that on my face in the sweaty summertime.
I'm adding pics with measurements of the shield and its attachment magnets. Can someone with a Giro to or other helmet tell me if one of those shields will fit my helmet.
I know, buying a Giro would solve my problem, but I can't swing $300 for a helmet, so that's not an option right now.
20210326_090413.jpg 20210326_090529.jpg 20210326_090601.jpg

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I have 2 Giro Air Attack helmet shields, and just measured them. I put the end of a string in the middle of the center magnet, and wrapped it around to the outer magnet. It was 4".
Next, I used the same string to measure the widest part from the top of the shield to the bottom, and that was 3 and 3/8".

Since my Air Attack helmet has seen better days, I decided to use the 2 shields I have on another helmet by drilling holes and then gluing magnets into my new helmet. It isn't the prettiest thing, but it works.
S__11780176.jpg S__11780177.jpg Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 22.58.47.png

I also drilled 2 more holes then glued 2 more magnets on the side to accommodate a wider shield, then went full bore and bought a SWANS Claritek Polarized snowboard shield that fits the same magnets as the Air Attack. Of course I had to Gorilla glue 3 button magnets onto the lense, but it works GREAT!
IMG_9324.JPG

M.J

Thanks for checking that out!
It looks like the Air Attack shield would probably fit but the size difference is negligible. They probably look like they provide more coverage because of the shape of the helmet.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Hey... just the thing. This aero helmet covers the ears so you don't get 30db of rushing air when you hit 50kph.

I can sneak some aftershokz headphones underneath and the visor keeps away the dust and the bugs. Bit hot so I might make the holes a bit bigger.

wildaero.jpg

It scares away the dogs too

Last edited:

M.J

Just picked up a pair of Tifosi Sledge glasses. Nice large lens that sits very close to my cheek, keeping most of the wind out. Better than most of my shield types. Not particularly dark but clarity is excellent for the price.

https://www.tifosioptics.com/product/sledge-lite-matte-white/

Nice option to customize color bits at no extra cash.
Those are cool. Since I've been looking, I've noticed that a lot of roadie shades are pretty much just visors but with earpieces instead of helmet attachment. It's like they realize the benefits of a visor but just can't take the leap to wear a visor helmet for fear of being different from everyone on the group ride.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
That looks alright. I don't really like the markings on my current Limar helmet or the Speed King I am waiting for so I am thinking of repainting those. 1 thing I was thinking of was some kind of reflective white paint for being more visible at night to car drivers, but I am not even sure if that kind of paint is even available, and if it is, it's available here. Did you widen the vent holes in yours for cooling or just paint it?

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
@LarryOz hey in your Sebring video you mentioned your helmet lens flew off, was that for your Giro Vanquish helmet? If so has it happened in the past as well and have you even gotten up to at least 40 mph and had it stay on? I've never had the older Air Attack 2 lens flay off but the magnets had cups they fitted into but this new version's middle point just floats there waiting for a gust of wind to get underneath it and flip it up and off. I've had it up to 60mph in the down position without issue but I'm scared to even attempt to leave it up at any kind of speed. The only reasons I flip it up is for fog, or sometimes climbing in the heat, but as mountains often do, I'll have a random quick burst of 40mph downhills during some big climbs and I don't want to have to remember to flip it down every time. One posible solution is a thin shark fin or something similar on top the helmet for the nose piece to rest against while flipped up. This would keep the legs from floating back at all and could help speed the process of positioning the legs up while riding. Does anyone with a vanquish hitting national speed limit velocities care to chime in?

Also, anyone know of a way to remove the manufacture label from the lens on the bottom left? For a DF bike, it's not in your line of sight but on a bent, it couldn't be in a worse spot. I've tried nail polish remover and alcohol with no luck, it seems to take off some black but the surface of the lens seems to be etched below the surface.
ONY.jpg

Photo shows both helmets used in the Sebring ‘22 race. I haven’t lost my Vanquish visor yet, but haven’t had high speeds with it in the stowed position. I do like how on the Vanquish the magnets seem to snap in place with less fumbling around compared to the previous model. I’d like to see if a shark fin helps with placement an security.E807D74B-2ED6-43C4-BC2A-EB1B13E27599.jpeg

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Sweet. Spring is here and soon it will be very hot. Might have to tweak my vent holes too if simply soaking my skull cap in water doesn't cool enough.

ccf

Guru
Does anyone with a vanquish hitting national speed limit velocities care to chime in?
The fastest I got going at WTTC or Sebring with the Vanquish visor up was 35 mph, so not exactly national speed limit velocity. I've never had one fly off, but I only ride with it up if I must.

I regularly hit over 50mph (I live in a hilly area) with my Giro air attack with visor (with visor always down), and I have never had any indication of the visor coming off. I also have gone fast with strong cross winds and wind buffeting from truck passing and never had any issue. It seems pretty solid in the down position. I can't comment on up.

I can say I am pretty unimpressed with the lense quality which seems to be losing its coating due to my sweat. I've never had anything like that with normal cycling glasses before. So now despite me never scratching the lense, even when I clean it, I see distortion from the surface coating issue.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I have 2 Air Attack lenses. The red/yellow film on one, and the Loden Green film on the other are virtually gone. The lenses are still in decent condition, but just smokey colored. My new lense that I put on my Limar helmet is great. The color isnt 1 I would choose first, and I am not a fan of how it peaks in the middle, but it wraps around even more than the $15 Casco lense I found at the used bike parts store. I stuck 3 magnets on it very similar to the Air Attack lense, and drilled 2 more holes to put 2 more magnets closer to my ears. It worked perfectly today. No air entered from the bottom or sides to dry my eyes out. I can even flip the lense over for when I don't need it, but it looks like someone slapped me with an amber stingray. With the Speed King the lense should wrap all the way around to the ear cover.
IMG_3330.JPG IMG_3331.JPGIMG_3332.JPG

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
@LarryOz hey in your Sebring video you mentioned your helmet lens flew off, was that for your Giro Vanquish helmet?
Yes it was. It was right when we turned into the stiff headwind and I know our speed was under 25mph. It had never come off before even at 55+mph downhills bursts I did in the mountains before. I suspect one of the magnets was marginally seated. A little bit of rust is also present in the holes (where the magnets seat) so I suspect it may have been one or both of those issues and a sudden gust of wind that led to my visor's early death. :)

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Unfortunately, the glue that Giro used for the magnets isn't that strong. When I put stronger magnets in my Limar to use the Air Attack it pulled the magnets out of the visor, so I had to reglue them in.