Aerospoke Silvio

Stevearino wrote: Hummm...if that's from outside end to end then the WTB Mountain and Origin 8 are the same width. Origin 8 won't solve my problem. I am a little bowlegged so that may cause my gate or cadence to be a bit wider than most? I probably have half an inch clearance now where you have 2 inches. I'll look around for a wider bar but I doubt there is such a thing.

Thanks for the feedback.

Stevearino

You can make it wider by welding in a pipe?

Peder

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Stevearino wrote: Hummm...if that's from outside end to end then the WTB Mountain and Origin 8 are the same width. Origin 8 won't solve my problem. I am a little bowlegged so that may cause my gate or cadence to be a bit wider than most? I probably have half an inch clearance now where you have 2 inches. I'll look around for a wider bar but I doubt there is such a thing.

Thanks for the feedback.

Stevearino
The WTB bars go out, straight forward (90deg), and then splay out on the drop, where as the origin 8 goes out, then forward AND out (75deg bend or so). So while the ends are pretty well as wide as each other, the O8 might have slightly more leg room.

Just my feeling after seeing and handling both, I do not have both here right now for a direct comparison.

John, Thanks for the insight on Origin 8 v WTB Mountain. I'm on the lookout for the wider or widest bar available. I don't think I can get my handlebar up higher without causing other issues. Photo attached - before latest adjustment - the bar is about horizontal now. I'm not a welder Peder but I suppose I could take the WTB to a welding shop. That feels a little drastic right now so I'll look for ready-made options for now.

Harold, I like the Aerospokes. They are stiff, rigid, powerful. The local bike shop expert who helped with the build described the bike as "a rocket on wheels". I hear "Hey, it's Rocketman!" every time I walk into the shop. (don't tell.....I only average 15mph on my rides, 46 cadence) It's great on track and smooth pavement, not the softest, cushy ride on rough pavement. Off roading is not advised. I feel every bump. Curb jumping is quite a jolt causing more than a couple stops to straighten the old handlebar adjustment. Overall I love them. Haven't found another Silvio rider with Aerospokes yet but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

Stevearino

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Stevearino wrote: Curb jumping is quite a jolt causing more than a couple stops to straighten the old handlebar adjustment.
Perhaps it is not tight enough. When I drop curbs, I get no sound at all. I certainly don't stop thereafter. :twisted:

You have the small plate mounted on top of the bar between the clamps, yes?

Yes, I've tightened up the clamp considerably with no recent problems. Plate between the clamps? What plate? Not sure what part you're referring to?

Stevearino

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Stevearino wrote: Yes, I've tightened up the clamp considerably with no recent problems. Plate between the clamps? What plate? Not sure what part you're referring to?

Stevearino

There's a plate that is the opposite of the "crutch" the handlebar cradles in. The clamp grips down on both pieces and tightens so the bar can't move.
Here's a pic that shows what it should look like.
IMG_1724.jpg

Good catch, John, it sonds like it's missing.

Mark

No, the plate is not missing. It's there. I think I was just not cranking it tight enough and when I hit some steeper street/sidewalk curbs with the front wheel I was struggling with the handlebar to maintain balance and pulled the bar out of alignment. A tighter turning of the clamps has solved that. This was also how I was experiencing concerns when the front fork suspension shock boot deformed and I thought I was losing pressure. That was solved (also with your help).

I'm cupping my hands on the outside of the bars, fingers on the front curve and shifter levers as I ride and I have just enough knee clearance now. It's not as secure a hand grip on the bar as when I would have thumbs around the inside of the bar but it will do for now. If I get tired of it or can't find a wider bar I may consider the custom welded bar suggestion.

Stevearino

Stevearino wrote: No, the plate is not missing. It's there. I think I was just not cranking it tight enough and when I hit some steeper street/sidewalk curbs with the front wheel I was struggling with the handlebar to maintain balance and pulled the bar out of alignment. A tighter turning of the clamps has solved that. This was also how I was experiencing concerns when the front fork suspension shock boot deformed and I thought I was losing pressure. That was solved (also with your help).

I'm cupping my hands on the outside of the bars, fingers on the front curve and shifter levers as I ride and I have just enough knee clearance now. It's not as secure a hand grip on the bar as when I would have thumbs around the inside of the bar but it will do for now. If I get tired of it or can't find a wider bar I may consider the custom welded bar suggestion.

Stevearino

You can also contact the producer of your bar and ask if they will make one wider for you. If the machine is set up for mass production it might not be easy to make a change. If you ask they might be willing to do it ask also how much it will cost. Some companies are very flexible and will try to accommodate customers. They might even make several wider bars for other customers!

Peder

Really? I would have never thought of that! I suppose that would be better than a local cut & weld job?? I'm not accustomed to needing one-of-a-kind parts made. It would be nice to have that extra inch or two.

I'm also looking for some kind of kick-stand for the Silvio. I'm sure I'll be accused of too much accessorizing and putting too much weight on the bike but I like having the practical items for everyday use. I hate laying the bike down or standing it against something when there is no bike stand around.

Thanks for the suggestions. The forum is great for sharing ideas and troubleshooting problems. :)

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Stevearino wrote: I'm also looking for some kind of kick-stand for the Silvio. I'm sure I'll be accused of too much accessorizing and putting too much weight on the bike but I like having the practical items for everyday use. I hate laying the bike down or standing it against something when there is no bike stand around.

Kick-stand? KICK-STAND????? KICK STAND?????

You sir, have been put on notice. You are in serious jeopardy of having your membership to the Silvio club revoked. This is not a kick-stand bike, no moreso than a Lamborghini is a child-seat soccer mom car. You just don't do it, it ain't right. It's just not RIGHT. What's next, training wheels so you can use your laptop while you ride?

Seriously, it's your bike and do what you want, but please save the child seat for the mini van; keep the Lamborghini what it is! All the cool kids lean their bikes, really!

:lol: :lol: Kick-stand, indeed! You crack me up, Stevarino! :lol: :lol:

Mark

:D :D :D LOL!! You know, they do make a car seat for the Lamborghini?! I bet they have cup holders too? Er...uummm..soo..I guess this means you don't have any recommended (you-know-what) stands then huh :?: I was thinking either a two-pronged (Y shaped) stand on the bottom about center of the bike or skewer hub axial extensions?

......or...I could just keep asking the wife to stand and hold it for me....she loves it :roll:

Almost excommunicated Stevearino :shock:

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Stevearino wrote: :D :D :D LOL!! You know, they do make a car seat for the Lamborghini?! I bet they have cup holders too? Er...uummm..soo..I guess this means you don't have any recommended (you-know-what) stands then huh :?:

You will receive no such recommendations from me. Nor will I suggest proper wire baskets, handle bar streamers, or plastic horns with the rubber bulb on the end. :roll: That being said, I am not the foremost expert on Silvio accesorizing, just the most opinionated!(?)!

OK, so they might have child seats for Lamborghinis. I bet you wouldn't put a trailer hitch on one! I dare you to roll into U-Haul with a Lambo and ask about one. :twisted:

Mark

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Mark B wrote:
Stevearino wrote: :D :D :D LOL!! You know, they do make a car seat for the Lamborghini?! I bet they have cup holders too? Er...uummm..soo..I guess this means you don't have any recommended (you-know-what) stands then huh :?:

You will receive no such recommendations from me. Nor will I suggest proper wire baskets, handle bar streamers, or plastic horns with the rubber bulb on the end. :roll: That being said, I am not the foremost expert on Silvio accesorizing, just the most opinionated!(?)!

OK, so they might have child seats for Lamborghinis. I bet you wouldn't put a trailer hitch on one! I dare you to roll into U-Haul with a Lambo and ask about one. :twisted:
So this isnt yours Mark?
http://www.carzi.com/wp-content/uploads/gallardo_banner_2.jpg
Maybe you should get one. It seems like a safer way to transport your precious arround.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
JonB wrote: So this isnt yours Mark?

That's actually kinda cool, in a redneck sorta way. It's entirely possible that car has a rifle rack inside, as well.

Mark

Quote: That's actually kinda cool, in a redneck sorta way. It's entirely possible that car has a rifle rack inside, as well.

:eek: Wow! I'm almost speechless? I want one of those...trailer, bike, gun rack, trailer hitch, fuzzy dice, cup holders, kick stand and all! I am a redneck so it all works for me. Here's my other bike...being ridden by my Silvio kickstand.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Stevearino wrote:
Quote: Here's my other bike...being ridden by my Silvio kickstand.

Pssssst, Stevearino.... That's a trike. It has three wheels and for that reason, does not require a kickstand. However, if you must put a kickstand on something, please put it on your trike and lean your Silvio against something. :lol: :lol:

Mark

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Mark B wrote:
Stevearino wrote:
Quote: Here's my other bike...being ridden by my Silvio kickstand.

Pssssst, Stevearino.... That's a trike. It has three wheels and for that reason, does not require a kickstand. However, if you must put a kickstand on something, please put it on your trike and lean your Silvio against something. :lol: :lol:

Mark
Pssssst Mark, the "silvio kickstand" is sitting on the trike. Stevearino has to have his wife hold the Silvio because you wont allow him to put a kickstand on the bike. Not even a Y kickstand. I dont think Stevearino's wife thinks well of you for forcing her to hold Stevearino's Silvio ;-)

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
JonB wrote:
Mark B wrote: Pssssst, Stevearino.... That's a trike. It has three wheels and for that reason, does not require a kickstand. However, if you must put a kickstand on something, please put it on your trike and lean your Silvio against something. :lol: :lol:

Mark
Pssssst Mark, the "silvio kickstand" is sitting on the trike. Stevearino has to have his wife hold the Silvio because you wont allow him to put a kickstand on the bike.
I got that part. I really did. I was just sayin'....

Mark

Quote: Pssssst Mark, the "silvio kickstand" is sitting on the trike. Stevearino has to have his wife hold the Silvio because you wont allow him to put a kickstand on the bike.

You know what, I have the best wife in the whole world....she holds it and holds it...and holds it...(the bike)..holds my coffee cup..holds my sunglasses, holds the garage door, holds my helmet...all while I go through the ritual of mounting the Silvio with no kickstand. What a gal :!:

I thought long and hard about a kickstand for the trike Mark but.....nah....I'd rather put one on the Silvio. Who cares if the trike falls down? That rubber training wheel on the one side will probably stop it.

Maybe an automotive air bag mounted to the bottom of the frame would work? ;)