All the attention in the world for the Cruzbike, less for the HPV racers

Ian Smith

Today was the first 2013 round of the annual University of South Australia HPV Super Series Pedal Prix in Victoria Park Adelaide. For those that are unfamiliar with the format, it is essentially a lot of streamlined racing trikes on the same track, in several age categories, playing dodgem whilst racing. It is a great format that the racers really get into.

Today we decided to make a family outing of it all and jump on the bikes and ride down. From where we are it's not that far to ride (4km) so there were my wife and son (2) on the mtb, daughter (6) on her beach cruiser and me on the hard waste Cruzbike conversion. Now, before you all say this is normal I was geared up for the possibility of a little interest. I was certainly not geared up for the number of kids and parents saying "What a cool bike, I want one of those!". If only I had the latest Silvio or the Vendetta on show I reckon that they would have sold themselves today. Maybe this is a sign of things to come once I rectify my loose steerer stem issue. Nothing an old seatpost and a Dremmel can't fix before more riding fun.