Amateur aerodynamics

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
I looked at your video again

I looked at your video again and paused it to get a better look. I see where you are going but I'm curious how you mount it.

-Eric

Jim Gerwing

Cheap aero

image(55).jpg
Andrew Baloga coined the term in a recent post.
My design philosophy is 'anything worth doing is worth doing badly (at least in the beginning)'.

Jim Gerwing

Proof of concept

image(56).jpg
Made of 4ply card stock and acrylic packaging (and lots of packing tape-I'm on my third roll this summer).

Jim Gerwing

?

I don't know why that last picture is so distorted.
Due to safety concerns I can't take this on my regular route.
I did take it on my early season route which is a 10k beauty.
I averaged a little over 45km/hr with a slight wind at my back. My return leg was 14:28 which is 8 seconds off my best time on this road. Not a bad result considering it was against a slight wind.
The front fairing adds a noticeable mass but doesn't seem to slow me down. I have a lot less time to spend on the project this season but I do have one more idea to roll in.
I'm inclined to seek out an engineering student who wants an aerodynamics project this winter. It sure has been fun this season (and its not over yet).
JG

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Are you working toward an

Are you working toward an Easy Racer or F40 type nose cone and stretchy sock?

Sort of like this?

Or this?

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
do it.  do it.  Do it. Do it.

do it. do it. Do it. Do it. Do It. Do It. DO IT. DO IT. DO IT! DO IT!!!!

(it = fairing and sock. I'd love to see it!!!)

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I would be very impressed to

I would be very impressed to see the sock work with the V's MBB (i.e. moving front end)

Well, it is just stretchy fabric (and at speed, there isn't too much movement anymore).

The Vendetta probably isn't the right bike for that as the rider is probably too horizontal. The Silvio V1.X, however, is probably perfect!

Jim Gerwing

Commentary

Eric anticipated my next addition.
I've had it out a couple of times: earlier today was windy enough to call off a fair try, tonight the wind was negligible but the results were marginal. I am limited by the lack of free time (probably for the rest of this season) and a decent and safe(enough) road. My combined time tonight resulted in an average speed of 44km/hr over 20km which is near my PB but I have higher expectations. The sides really compress at speed. I suspect that I'm paying aerodynamic costs for whatever aerodynamic benefits I'm getting from the fairing plus skirt. The 'hem-line' could go lower but I want a quick escape if necessary. I have ideas for supporting the rip-stop but they are time consuming. Maybe the composite version is the next best place to concentrate my efforts?
JG

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
I think the sock needs to be

I think the sock needs to be continuous from front to back to do you any good.
The sides really compress at speed.
And as you state, your hands and handlebars need to be inside the sock.

And similar to Charles observation, the recline of the Vendetta and the need for feet and knee clearance may require a shape more akin to the Milan velomobile which has feet and knee "bumps".

See: http://www.velomobilix.de/Velomobile/Milan/milan.html

-Eric