Any former Bacchetta riders?

hiken

Has anyone on this forum previously had a Bacchetta Corsa? I am considering updating to an S40 and would like to hear the experiences of others. Thanks!

HeyHealy

My brother has a Bachetta Corsa. I used to ride a CA2, but sold it after I bought the S40. I really enjoy my S40. It's all stock, except the bottle cages. That means I have a single gear up front. I live in Parker, CO. An "easy" ride is 600 vertical feet. I frequently climb 1,000 to 2,000 feet on 25 to 40-mile rides. I've also done mountain passes.

The S40 is a much better climber than the CA2. I prefer the lower feet position vs. the CA2. I'm now very comfortable racing down hills on my S40. But it's hard to beat the carbon fiber stick frame and long wheel base of the CA2 for big mountain downhills on rough Colorado roads. That's one thing I miss.

Oh, another thing. The shorter wheel base of the S40 is much better for maneuvering, especially tight turns.

I have a Bacchetta Corsa that I rode for 9 years before buying a used CA2. I live where the roads are pretty flat. But I used the Corsa for a tour across Oklahoma, a self tour across Ohio and vacation riding in Pennsylvania. So some rides with hills. I bought a V20c last Labor Day weekend. After learning to ride the V20c I now alternate between the CA2 and V20c for my typical mostly flat roads and trails ride. If I was purchasing today and regularly riding hills then I would seriously consider purchasing an S40.

There are tradeoffs between different recumbent bikes. One thing to consider is the type of riding you anticipate and the style you prefer. I like pulling on the handlebars to aid the effort on the V20c. It seems to help with sprinting and climbing the very small hills I encounter. One advantage the Corsa and CA2 have is that you can adjust the seat angle and move the seat forwards/backwards to match the kind of riding you do. Also the CA2 is a more relaxed yet fast ride. No pulling on the handlebars, just a light touch to steer. Similar for the Corsa.