Anyone fitted a TRP Spyke disk brake on the front of a Sofrider v3?

yangmusa

I'm considering fitting a TRP Spyke disk brake on the front of my Sofrider, and I'm trying to figure out if I need to order a front or rear, and what additional adapters may be required . I see there are some earlier threads about fitting disk brakes on Sofriders, but they're for Avid brakes and it looks like the TRP brakes are post mount or flat mount. Since the Avid brakes used a rear mount kit for the front of a Sofrider, I'm thinking maybe I need a rear mount TRP plus an adapter from flat or post mount to IS - thoughts?

JerseyJim

Hi Yangmusa,

Seems no one replied so I give this a shot. I don't have the Softrider but I have the T50 with TRP Spyke discs. They are mounted with IS adapters which came with the brakes. This fit a 160 mm disc rotor. For me it was plug and play on the T50. No shims or any other adjustments were needed. They are great brakes. I hope this helps.
IMG_20210110_212327795.jpg IMG_20210110_212338883.jpg

McWheels

Off the long run
This is the best photo I have of the front of my old V2k. It's very similar to the T50 by the look of things. I also don't know what flat and post mount means so can't help you there. I would however, go for a big friendly disc up front; the bike's pretty heavy and it's easy to lock up the back wheel.

View media item 502

yangmusa

Thanks JerseyJim and McWheels! I think I need to visit my local bike shop to look at adapters.. But it's heartening that it looks like it will be possible with the correct part :)

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
I put disc brakes on my Sofrider a few years ago. I made an adapter for rear discs, and have used several different caliper brands on it.

The TRPs will mount exactly the same way the Avids mount (and Tektros, for that matter. I have TRP Hy/Rd calipers on my Silvio 2.0)

They are post mount calipers that use a post mount adapter. The adapters are fairly generic.

Since the T50 uses the same front dropout as the Sofrider fork, fitting disc calipers will be identical. You'll need a 160mm REAR adapter bracket (assuming you're using 160mm discs, which fit with no hassle.)

I may have some photos; if I can find them I'll upload them.

Best,

Doug

Last edited:

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Here's a better photo...

One thing you'll see here is the use of Avid adjustable caliper fasteners, which make setting the brakes up MUCH easier. They have convex and concave washer sets that allow the caliper to pivot as well as slide in and out on the mount to get the alignment precisely right.

Attachments

• CruzbikeBB7_leftRear.jpg
    CruzbikeBB7_leftRear.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 16