Are those things comfortable.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
This past weekend I took the wife to her first group ride. We did the modet 52 miler in the lake district of Minneapolis. This was my daughter's 2nd time for this event; first time on her Quest. It's a good thing we didn't do one of the longer two rides because we sure spent a lot of time answering questions about the bikes. We probably wouldn't have made the cut off times. I'm still amazed by the number of people ask if the bikes are comfortable to ride.

I did have a little fun messing we the 100 miler power pace line group. I'm not sure the appreciated me riding next to them; and then passing them on the up hills section. Helps when you have 40 less miles in your legs than they do. ... A couple of them did come by after the ride was over to look at the bikes. 2 people ask for contact info to come test ride the quests.

Unfortunately one of the roof racks bit the dust the next day; so I had to rush and get a trailer rack setup; for this weeks 6 hours drive to the Midwest rally. So much for getting Q rings this year.

Red photo was request by the event organizer for next years promotional material; that was pretty cool.

Tonka1.jpg

Tonka5.jpg
Tonka3.jpg
Tonka2.jpg
Tonka10.jpg
Tonka8.jpg

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Looks like a ton of fun

Looks like a ton of fun Bob.

Good thing bikes were not on top rack going 70 mph when rack bit dust.

Oh well you will just have to suffer with round, priorities, priorities.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Which Saris rack is that if I

Which Saris rack is that if I may ask and does it fir the longer wheelbase of the V?

It looks like it has a bit up a higher mount as well. I am looking for something that sits higher up.

Robert

ratz

Its the superclamp

Hi Robert,

It's the FREEDOM SUPERCLAMP 4-BIKE, there is also a two bike version. I paid significantly less than the price listed on the Saris web site; the local bike shop is a dealer (so definitely don't pay the saris web-store price). I didn't get time to put the V on it as it took forever to get the old rusted hitch off the car. But based on how the Silvio sits the V would be awful wide back there, I do believe I could make it fit good enough to haul it. I had planned on the V riding on the Thule Pelton roof rack or inside the car. I'll throw it on later in the week, see how it fits and take a picture for you.

The four bike model is rated Qty 2 - 65lb bikes close to the car; and Qty 2 - 35lb bike in the rear position. It is quite high; and the test drive i did in the neighborhood tell me that you drive it like you are pulling a trailer at all time. It does flip up; but this is not a rack you leave on the car all summer; flip-up is definitely for at the multi-day destination only. Removing it should be about a 5 minute project; if you keep the bar greased.

Completely integrated lock system is really nice; but it's only going to stop honest people. Require a 2" receiver; I used a 1.25" to 2" Reese Adapter.

ratz

Why yes it

Why yes it is the Giro Air Attack. I find it quiet good for the Silvio and the Vendetta:
  • The helmet has a high back that doesn't contact the headrest, very comfortable.
  • The helmet top is mostly closed keeping the sun off my balding head
  • The airflow through the helmet is quite good.
  • The leading edge of the helmet is very aero with riding glasses; doesn't catch the wind.
  • Riding with or without the visor works.
  • The visor when install is very handy going down hill but locks in place on top when not needed
  • Riding glasses can be worn under the visor (Progressive tint recommended)
  • It's really light even for a modern helmet
You do have to rotate it forward on you head to get the visor angle optimal which may or may not compromise the helmet's effectiveness. The helmet has been going on and off sale on amazon lately.

ratz

Rack Test #1 Completed

Robert,

On friday we'll do the first extend haul with the rack. But yesterday I left it on the car but empty and folded up while we drove 7 hours round trip for a college campus tour. We drove on rotten MN 2 lane country roads. Never even knew the rack was back there. Very please with that. Now we'll see how it does with bikes loaded on it this weekend. We are going the road a total of 16+ hours; so it will be a good test. Gas mileage impact was about not noticeable.

ratz

Forgot to update this thread

Hmm I could have sworn I updated this with a Vendetta on the rack photo.

Robert,

We did about 1500 miles with the rack; 1, 2 and 4 bikes loaded no complaints.

Here's the rack loaded with a V2.0 as you can see for the V and S models if you don't move the boom in you get some over hang on the nose. You also have to pay attention two which way you load the bikes. For each Pair of bike the derailler needs to face out so that does dictate which bike goes where and which way it faces.

Rack work so well; we'll probably put the 2 bike version on the other car and leave it on it. We always have one car set up as a rescue vehicle (traditionally a roof rack). The one main flaw of this 4 bike version is it's really heavy so much so that Mrs Ratz is going to cus like a sailor if she has to attach it alone.

SarisVloaded1.jpg

SarisVloaded2.jpg