Autumn tour

Rod Butler

Bathurst to Bendigo (750km) completed in 14 days. A dozen or so punctures, rain squalls and rough camping made for an 'adventurous' time and great fun. I was blown into the Murrumbidgee flood plain by the same storms that flooded NSW. This pic from the Riverina. Body surfing the crest of a storm on a bicycle.20210323_180323_resized_1.jpg

Thanks for sharing your adventure.
Is flat tire repair troublesome with the Rohloff?
Why aren’t you using your Extrawheel?

Bill Wightman

Rohloff, belt drive, and best CB touring model will probably be my next transition. Your set-up looks great. I know you know this but more lights in back at slow strobe is better. Not brighter, just more. As I was (slowly) doing the 6-hour Bessies Creek TT here in Houston, TX area I was passed thoughtfully by an 18-wheeler (on road without shoulder) who could see my daytime tail lights from a mile away. The truck accelerated up the winding hill and encountered an unlit and unexpected cyclist climbing in his lane and had to do a big deceleration in his truck while climbing that so pissed him off that he must have leaned on his big horn on and off for five seconds. This so flustered the rider that he just left the race and went home.

Rod Butler

Thanks for sharing your adventure.
Is flat tire repair troublesome with the Rohloff?
Why aren’t you using your Extrawheel?

Hi Mattew, great questions!!

re flat tires, I have now fully transitioned to Gaadi tubes ( https://gaadi.de/?page_id=3671&lang=en ) which makes the process a lot easier.

As far as the Extra wheel is concerned, I am an amateur beekeeper here in Sydney and I use the Extra-Wheel mainly to get equipment around and about.
All my hives are bicycle accessible now, but it does take a bit of gear.
Plus part of me says, the more room you have to put stuff.....the more you'll take, so it's a kind of enforced discipline to vet luggage
Also I took a train to Bathurst... rode to Bendigo... took a train to Melbourne, then flew back to Sydney, bike box and all.....
So the self limiting gear philosophy kicked in there as well.
Happy Trails

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Mathew Fy said:
Is flat tire repair troublesomewith theRohloff?
That is why my Grasshopper has Tannus.

You don't have to live in Ely. What about Barking, which is not very far from the Isle of Dogs?

And Pease Pottage. And Warninglid.

jond

Zen MBB Master
great trip rod.

Oh what a feeling.

brave too given the horrible possibilities of border closure.

Last edited: