Back luggage rack and some homemade extensions

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Hi

Today i attached a luggage rack in the back above the wheel, attaching just next to where the wheel is attached to the frame. Because the top of the rear wheel holder frame is so low, i made my own extensions using L shaped aluminium profiles. The other end i attached to the rear wheel frame holder just behind the spring, and from there up to the front part of the luggage rack. In order for the spring to still work and the buttom part of the top frame where the seat is attached to move up and down without hitting something the extension L shaped alu profiles are attached with a wider distance at the rack than at the spring.

I will try to remember to provide pictures tomorrow when it is daylight.

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Here are the pictures. It was raining so i toke the pictures in the basement.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Nice approach Jon,

When the suspension moves, is there enough clearance between the struts and the seat tube?

This will really allow you to carry heavy loads.

JonB

Zen MBB Master
johntolhurst wrote: Nice approach Jon,

When the suspension moves, is there enough clearance between the struts and the seat tube?

This will really allow you to carry heavy loads.
Yes, there are enough clearance because the distance is wider at the rack than at the spring. So the extension moves outwards. Not much, but enough for the seat tube to move down. I did hear some hitting noises late last night, but i couldnt see where it did hit. I will examine more today, and if it is a problem i will move them further apart at the rack. If it still is a problem i will get a big bolt, some washers and put it right through from side to side.

Yes, but not heavy enough. The rack is rated for 25 kilo. It also had some short arms at the front, but i had to throw them away, they were too short. I wanted to be able to carry a 2. person, but i dont like that the xtracycle makes the bike longer, and i am not much of a tinker. I am not sure i can find out how to mount the xtracycle on the cruzbike.

I wish you would make a rack that fitted the bike, and i have some ideas to how that can be done, both on the cheap, and also a heavy duty. I will post them some day.

Kamatu

Xtracycle should fit fine, but creates its own issues on the ride, namely, performance will probably degrade since you are moving from "sporty" towards "utility". For our purposes, IMO, adapting existing accessories to a Cruzbike works better than having custom made ones. First, they would cost more to build as small custom runs and detract from simply getting bikes on the road. Of course, it we can get enough koolaid out there to be drunk, then there will be enough demand to start up with some proprietary stuff.

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Hi guys

I am in building mode again. This time i want to make something my panniers can hang at which is low enough for me to have a basket at the top of the rack. I have looked at a finished rack, but i dont think it is low enough.

http://www.amba-marketing.com/products.php?cid=19&pid=102

I found it at a local touring bike shop. But since it doesnt seem low enough to have a basket ontop of the panniers, i am looking to make something like this:
88_5fafe734890142e7a9fc77f2cb649c07

I do have some questions for you guys.

Right at the rear of the suspension spring i plan to put something ontop of the spring mount between the spring mount and the tube that supports the seat. But, how big can the thing i put there be while still have full suspension ? How much is the suspension going to be pushed together?

88_8786074b9826f2d7583ab9805f7405cb

Can i still have a working brake if i screw something like a 90 degree holder underneeth the brake lever that can be attached to some alu profile to support the horizontal alu profile? The width of the rack support beams is wider than the brake, so that wont be a problem.

Why 1 meter long? Well, the alu profile that fits my pannier comes in the length of 1 meter. Why cut it up and later make something that can be under the seat when i can just buy 2 alu profiles, 1 for each side. Looking at ortlieb panniers they are either 25 or 32 cm's wide, so that is 3 or 4 panniers on each side, should i ever need that. Plus what can be in the basket.

Gromit

Guru
Jon

I installed a variation of your rack design on my Sofrider V2. I'll post some pictures here one day. I used a Topeak Super Tourist DX rack. This has pannier rails below the top of the rack.
http://www.topeak.com/products/Racks/SuperTouristDXTubularRack

JonB

Zen MBB Master
i dont think that the Topeak Super Tourist DX Tubular Rack lower pannier rails are as low as i want them. i want 10cm, preferably 15 cm.

but thanks for the idea

Gromit

Guru
Gromit wrote: Jon

I installed a variation of your rack design on my Sofrider V2. I'll post some pictures here one day. I used a Topeak Super Tourist DX rack. This has pannier rails below the top of the rack.
http://www.topeak.com/products/Racks/SuperTouristDXTubularRack
I realised that I ought to make good on my promise to post pictures of my variation on Jon B's rack design. ;) :)
The pictures and some more discussion are in this thread.

chevy chase

I enjoy you pointing this out

I enjoy you pointing this out due to the fact I have never ever viewed like this. For that motive I could possibly point out some of your points by myself blog; I hope you're Okay with this. Do you suppose possibly from the future we can function collectively somehow between our websites? Inform me what you assume.how to remove skin tags