backrest repair with Carbon Fiber

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Hi

I have repaired my backrest with Carbon Fiber reenforcement on the backside. I had to do it because the bottom of the backrest was starting to show fine hairline cracks in the aluminium. The hairline cracks might possibly have gotten there because i may have overtightened the 2 bolts that connects the 2 pieces of aluminium that the seat is made of. And i might have overtightened those during my hunt last year for something that was rattling.

I detached the backrest and removed the drink holders. Then i cleaned the backrest. The carbon fiber adds 70 grams of weight. It is 4 thin layers most places, with an extra layer in the corner and some extra thick "wire" just arround the mounting holes.

I made it out at Leitra.dk, and it cost me 800 dkr / kilo, or about $150 for a kilo. But naturally i only had to pay for 70 gram.

I thought about making a whole seat by making molds of the existing cruzbike seat, but i didnt have any molding material. If i should make a full backrest now, i would just make it by putting carbon fiber on the back "inside" the curve. The reenforcement was made like this.

Making a full carbon backrest might possibly save you 150 grams of weight. The backrest weight is 600 grams. Aluminium weighs 2.7 gram pr. cm3, which gives us a backrest size of 222.222222222222222222. As far as i could find, carbon fiber reenforced epoxy has a weight of aproximately 2 grams pr. cm3. So unless you make it thinner, then a carbon fiber backrest would have a weight of 444.44444444444444444 grams. But since the strength is better, maybe you can make it thinner and thus lighter.

88_af4ce63ef69b5fa2f0d205478f167286

The carbon fiber is probably glued permanently on, but besides this, it is hold in place by the 2 bottom bolts of the drink holders and the 2 bolts that attaches to the other seat pan.