bandit riding the DALMAC / self sup touring on the V20 / how do I get panniers on it

Seth Cooper

the 50th DALMAC sold out right away, which is cool, but leaves me without a spot.

it does open up the idea of trying to ride the route self supported, that is, riding the same roads at the same time, but not staying in the designated camp areas and not getting the food and shuttle services. normally I would not ever do that since being on the ride to me means paying the $ and sharing the full experience, but now well maybe this is a once in a blue moon thing. I've ridden it 4x before, so I like the idea of switching it up a bit. not sure how the DALMAC organizers would take the knowledge of bandits though, even benign ones that aren't stealing services...

since I live in GR I would ride north solo and join the ride near Cadillac. I have a friend who is on the ride already and can bring me home from the finish line.

I have ultralight camping gear, tent / pad / sleeping bag etc, but I may just try to stay in hotels / air bnbs and stretch the idea of self support. tent or not, I would have quite a bit of gear, and since I don't want to buy a S40 (sorry CB) I need to figure out how to get some panniers on the V20. I was thinking of 3D printing some small metal bits that I can clamp to the stays and have holes to mount a rear rack.

anyone have any thoughts on any of that?

ps. will CB toss me some scratch if I rep my ride on the ride but don't have an entry fee? ;):p

Seth Cooper

ah, yes, now you mention it I have heard of banana racers. Well that would work for me, when backpacking I can fit 4 days of gear and food in 50L backpack, so 2x 27l medium would work fine for a 4 day camping trip esp where food would be purchased along the way.

oddly enough, I looked up their address. when I was cycling in NL a few years ago I rode within about 10km of it.

McWheels

Off the long run
It's a bit Heath Robinson, but I managed a pair of panniers with some webbing and a sewing machine before I fully fitted the rack I have now. It's as light a system as you could ever hope for, but you need to accept it involves dangling and balancing the bags.

View media item 201
Still, drape them over the frame, under the seat, and who knows???

3bs

whereabouts unknown
@Seth Cooper what headrest set up are you using?
I figured out that the headrest bar put in upside down makes a great rear rack. You could hang panniers off that or I could loan you my adjustable headrest bracket to create a rear rack

jond

Zen MBB Master
Banana racers worked for me. Tent air mattress pillow and quilt. All ultra light. Pretty tight squeeze.

Seth Cooper

@Seth Cooper what headrest set up are you using?
I figured out that the headrest bar put in upside down makes a great rear rack. You could hang panniers off that or I could loan you my adjustable headrest bracket to create a rear rack

Nice idea. I am using headrest designed by ratz that does require the headrest bar. I make a similar rear rack bar out of some scrap copper piping that I clamped to the headrest bar, it uses 45 deg fittings so the angle of the rear rack is too "down" in the back and I would like to replace it. I guess I could buy another headrest bar and use that and it would have the correct angle.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
so here are two pictures of some of my experiments.

- the normal headrest bar flipped over. works great as a little rack. also makes grear rear fender with some tape on it. ideally one could do this in tube alum and make it perfect and even run supports to the back stays.

- the normal headrest bar flipped over with the cruzbike adjustable headrest assembly used in reverse with the short tubes facing up to hold a foam headrest. (with a time trial bottle on the back bracket. worked great. i just hate all that stuff on the bike, and i can never seem to get headrests perfect. which is why i ride without. i usually ride under 3 hourss unles i am on a trip, so i really don't notice.

Attachments

• headrest bar flip.jpg
    headrest bar flip.jpg
    641.6 KB · Views: 112
  • adjustable with water bottle.jpg
    adjustable with water bottle.jpg
    822.7 KB · Views: 116

benphyr

Guru-me-not
@3bs That looks psycho fast just resting there. And is it related to bats? It hangs upside down in your garage? Love the paint job.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
Ha. I didn't think anyone would notice it was hanging. My garage has been called the batcave.

Thanks on paint. It turned out okay. The spots have pearl in them so they blend to the blue okay.

Hopefully I will have my fade job done on my t 50 by the Michigan ride.

Attachments

• IMG_20200211_072005024.jpg
    IMG_20200211_072005024.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 51
I own the Banana panniers which work well - actually they work best when filled up, otherwise you need to use their traps to compress them or they might dangle. By recommendation from the forum I also ordered (on Amazon as "MOOCi Bicycle Angle Frame Triangle Bicycle Frame Bag", $12ea) which I think can be added. When they arrive I'll see whether they can be mounted alongside the Bananas.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
so here are two pictures of some of my experiments.

- the normal headrest bar flipped over. works great as a little rack. also makes grear rear fender with some tape on it. ideally one could do this in tube alum and make it perfect and even run supports to the back stays.

- the normal headrest bar flipped over with the cruzbike adjustable headrest assembly used in reverse with the short tubes facing up to hold a foam headrest. (with a time trial bottle on the back bracket. worked great. i just hate all that stuff on the bike, and i can never seem to get headrests perfect. which is why i ride without. i usually ride under 3 hourss unles i am on a trip, so i really don't notice.

Do you run the drink tube to the bottles behind the seat? Have you s40 dialed in w 1 bottle on the slider and two under the seat w cages bolted to existing bosses. Now that I’m working on. v I’m perplexed about best direction to go on hydration storage that I can access easily while riding. Optimally, 3 large bottles is what I’m looking to mount. My headrest won’t support the CB cage that mounts to their std headrest. Thinking about drilling holes in seat sides and mounting one cage under the seat on either side