Benphyr’s Bodacious Build 2019 s40 - questions

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Spoiler Alert: My 2019 s40 frame set

(This thread is for questions I have that you can probably answer without me taking up Robert Holler’s valuable time. Another thread will capture the build itself. )

(warehouse clearance so someone previously ordered it at minimum- probably built it) came with velcro on the frame and matching rear of the seat back. But none on the front of the seat back. Am I right in assuming that velcro was supposed to be on the front of the seat back and rear of seat pad instead? Is there supposed to be any velcro between seat and frame?

0732640D-0294-4B8C-BD79-A5FE95DE8663.jpeg

How does the carbon seat get attached? I have four small 3mm allen bolts and nylock nuts with two washers. Is that ok as bolt, washer, seat base extension, seat, frame tab, nylock nut or do I need more washers like for Thor seat?

C4F450D1-0482-4F16-A5CB-58534A283FEE.jpeg 326B742E-6427-4292-B12C-DBDFF859F921.jpeg

I have already cut 3-3/4” off the steer tube Is it possible that I have to cut more? I am 5’8” and x-seam approximately 38”. (I have 1-5/8” of spacers now. )

E73CC477-37B6-476C-9B61-158974D56936.jpeg

The boom seems to want to sit offset, not directly above the steer tube. I have loosened everything and then tightened again so that there should be no stress. Is there a best order to tighten things down? The clamp that connects the boom/ slider to the steer tube has a sleeve, bolt, and 3 washers. It appears as though it needs to be ordered like this: bolt, washer, clamp, washer, steer tube spacer, clamp, washer, sleeve.

I have the boom all the way inside the slider and it seems as though there is a huge amount of slider up towards me. Maybe that is only in comparison to my old bikes that are shorter: conversion and qx100.

And is this a good starting handlebar position.

Opinions welcome. Explanations welcome. Pictures welcome.

Cheers,
Ben

Attachments

• 98AC2DAE-048D-4A9C-8FE8-AEF504FF692F.jpeg
    98AC2DAE-048D-4A9C-8FE8-AEF504FF692F.jpeg
    950 KB · Views: 51

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
There is Velcro on the frame and seat back. I actually rely on just the Velcro for the back/top of the seat and only use nuts/bolts at the bottom.

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
You should have four pieces of Velcro pairings: two long strips that mate the top of the frame to the bottom of the seat pan, and two shorter, wider pairings at the front and rear of the seat cushion that mate to the same spots on the seat pan (for those, I combine the Velcro half that will stick to the seat pan with the half already attached to the cushion, peel the plastic off of the half that will stick to the seat pan, then carefully place the pad where I want it, which will place the seat pan Velcro right where it needs to be for where you want the pad).

I use seat attachment bolts at all four tabs, in this order from the top, down: bolt head, washer, seat pan, frame tab, washer, nylock nut. Use the same order for the seat extension, sans frame tab.

I am 5'4", and I use a curved slider, which places the slider bottle cage nut rivets even further down the slider, closer to the BB, meaning that I had to cut nearly six inches off the forward boom to get my preferred fit. Your outward foot extension is fairly non-negotiable, but there is more wiggle room for where you place your hands. Some people prefer less bend at their elbows, while others like more; it's a matter of trying different hand positions until you eventually zero-in on that magic spot that makes you go "ahhh!" But for boom length/cutting, you must have enough boom to slide under the clamp closest to the BB, of course, but you would ideally also have enough boom to slide up under the steerer tube clamp as well, which helps to reinforce the slider while allowing you to clamp the boom in two spots rather than just one. One final consideration about hand placement is the amount of leverage that your arms and legs will have from the steerer tube, which works as an axis. On my V20, my feet are only a little further out from the steerer tube than my hands are in the other direction, so the leverage that my arms and legs exert is roughly equal, which is nice for hill climbing and sprints. On my S30, my hands are a bit further forward because of the steeper seat incline, so my legs have a little more leverage than my arms. When climbing and sprinting, I do notice that my arms have to work a little harder on the S30 than they do on the V20.

I don't have any thoughts on you having an offset boom. That has not happened to me. In my experience, the steerer tube clamp assembly has been: long steerer clamp sleeved nut, washer, steerer clamp, steerer tube bracket, other side of steerer clamp, washer, shorter steerer clamp nut. You mentioned three washers; I've only ever encountered two.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Holding breath is a gasp exasperating. Pics impression already. Come on already