Bike GPS Options…

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
I have and use a Garmin Edge 1000 and one of the things I love about it is the landscape option. I notice that the landscape option is no longer available on the new Garmin offerings.

Are there any other comparable gps options out there with landscape mode?

TIA

CruzRider

When I looked a couple of months ago, the only offerings with Landscape were from Lezyne.

But I really needed Varia Radar support. So, I ended up with a relatively compact Garmin Edge 130 plus in portrait mode.

Works great for me …

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I have and use a Garmin Edge 1000 and one of the things I love about it is the landscape option. I notice that the landscape option is no longer available on the new Garmin offerings.
Yes - I hate it - I still use my 1000 - even though it is held together with duct tape.
I contacted Garmin about the landscape mode and they said they took it away becayse "no one used it". Obviously they did not poll the Cruzbike forum.

I did purchas a Lezyne, but I never got used to it. I think I am spoiled with the touch screen - I just can't deal with pushing the buttons

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
Yes - I hate it - I still use my 1000 - even though it is held together with duct tape.
I contacted Garmin about the landscape mode and they said they took it away becayse "no one used it". Obviously they did not poll the Cruzbike forum.

I did purchas a Lezyne, but I never got used to it. I think I am spoiled with the touch screen - I just can't deal with pushing the buttons
Once again, the recumbent group is over looked by the Legacy crowd! This is a real shame. I really like getting my Garmin out of the wind as much as possible and it also helps me to see better forward. On the V20/V20c this is a must for me.

Flying Dutchman

Just an idea, but would a small phone not work? Strava allows recording of a ride, it can connect to HR monitor and other sensors and displays various details. There might be other apps doing similar things? Never tried myself so I might be completely barking up the wrong tree... (wouldn't be the first time)

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
Just an idea, but would a small phone not work? Strava allows recording of a ride, it can connect to HR monitor and other sensors and displays various details. There might be other apps doing similar things? Never tried myself so I might be completely barking up the wrong tree... (wouldn't be the first time)
Interesting idea...the only issue I might have is battery duration. I suppose I could add a battery backup but that means adding additional items that could/might fail or get lost, etc. Still, a possibility. Thanks...

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Strava only allows heart rate sensor right now - and they just added that back in. FOr me, I am much to used to all the "other" data and screen options the bike unit have - particularly avg power, avg hr, etc - lap data. I use that almost all the time during events.
PLus the phone really burns through the battery when you have the display and GPS running all the time.

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
Strava only allows heart rate sensor right now - and they just added that back in. FOr me, I am much to used to all the "other" data and screen options the bike unit have - particularly avg power, avg hr, etc - lap data. I use that almost all the time during events.
PLus the phone really burns through the battery when you have the display and GPS running all the time.
My thoughts exactly...

JerseyJim

My bike computer is a Stages Dash L50. It can be used in landscape and portrait. It's discontinued but the the new Stages M200 and L200 computers have the same feature. The screen is probably the brightest I've ever seen, however it isn't a touchscreen so if you have an issue with using buttons only, then it's probably not for you. I actually prefer buttons only.

If you're scratching your head wondering who the heck is Stages, it is the same company that makes the popular power meters.

JerseyJim

If you're interested in using a phone app, I can personally vouch for BikeComputerPro. I've used it for the last 7 years as a backup to my hardware bike computer and it has been rock solid. I typically load my route on it, put it in my bike bag, and send the audio from my phone to a bluetooth speaker or my helmet intercom for turn-by-turn announcements during brevets. You can also choose to get audio announcements for a range of stats. I like having the "miles/km to go" and the battery level announcements. When I have the phone in my bag it is usually connected to a powerbank. The battery level announcement lets me know if the phone is charging properly or gives me a heads up as to how long the battery will last. It will actually say "you're using "x%" per hour" along with the current percentage. Should my main bike computer go down, I can mount my phone on the handlebars and navigate with the screen along with the audio announcements.

I've had several conversations with the developer when I had a problem with the app (found a database issue and I had a map issue - other times were user error), and found him to be pleasant and responsive.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
If you’re going to go the Lezyne route for the landscape view then I’d suggest the Mega XL. It has an advertised 48-hour battery life, and lists just about anything you want on your screen. Like Larry I prefer touch screen, but I went to buttons just because of how rain makes it difficult. However, I got used to the buttons pretty quickly. Maps could be better, but I’d have to use it more often to say how well it works.