Bike the five boros

Seth Cooper

I signed up for a 40 mile ride through NYC this year (May) Anyone here ever do it?

There are over 30,000 riders, so they use start waves, but even still I assume starting might be a bit tricky esp if people don't get up and get moving right away.

JerseyJim

I signed up for a 40 mile ride through NYC this year (May) Anyone here ever do it?

There are over 30,000 riders, so they use start waves, but even still I assume starting might be a bit tricky esp if people don't get up and get moving right away.
I've done it 4 times, enjoyed each time. I think I enjoyed the one on the video most. Even though we didn't get to go through Central Park that year, it wasn't as crowded as previous times, or last year when 40,000 riders were allowed in. It was very crowded and we did a fair amount of walking at the start, on the 59th St bridge and at the end. In fact last year was the first time I couldn't ride across the finish line due to the bottleneck there. We all walked.

The start isn't so bad. You'll walk a little bit but once they release the wave you get going pretty quickly. If you are taking the SI ferry or other mass transit to the start, get there early.

I'm not doing it this year, but hopefully they learned last year that 40,000 was too many and they'll truly go back to the 30,000 number. Overall, just have fun and take advantage of the rest stops. It's a rolling festival.

Seth Cooper

I've done it 4 times, enjoyed each time. I think I enjoyed the one on the video most. Even though we didn't get to go through Central Park that year, it wasn't as crowded as previous times, or last year when 40,000 riders were allowed in. It was very crowded and we did a fair amount of walking at the start, on the 59th St bridge and at the end. In fact last year was the first time I couldn't ride across the finish line due to the bottleneck there. We all walked.

The start isn't so bad. You'll walk a little bit but once they release the wave you get going pretty quickly. If you are taking the SI ferry or other mass transit to the start, get there early.

I'm not doing it this year, but hopefully they learned last year that 40,000 was too many and they'll truly go back to the 30,000 number. Overall, just have fun and take advantage of the rest stops. It's a rolling festival.
thanks for the tips! I may ping you closer to the ride if I have questions...

Seth

Enid

I’ve done it a few times. If you get there early and in the front, you will be able to ride without walking or stopping. If I remember, there is a separate registration for the front pack, but even if you are in the front of the second group you are good.

It is spectacular as all the roads are closed to cars, including the bridges.

Seth Cooper

In the sign-up process, I said I wanted to ride at the fastest speed and wanted to start early. I don't know what speed that means I am supposed to do but hopefully I can get out in front of most of the crowd.

I am no speed-demon I should be able to average 18-20 mph

JerseyJim

In the sign-up process, I said I wanted to ride at the fastest speed and wanted to start early. I don't know what speed that means I am supposed to do but hopefully I can get out in front of most of the crowd.

I am no speed-demon I should be able to average 18-20 mph
I think once you're there you'll find that it doesn't matter how fast or slow you ride and stopping won't be because of the crowd of cyclists but due to marshals metering the flow for cross traffic, emergency vehicles, or to prevent bottlenecks. One exception to that will probably be the 59th St Bridge. Be prepared for delays there. The best mindset to have for the 5 Boro is to go with the flow. Enjoy the vibe, music, the novelty of riding on NYC streets with no car traffic, and enjoy the experience to the fullest. I wouldn't be in a hurry to get to the finish. If you average the 40 miles between 8-10 mph with rest stops, I'd say you rode at partypace and took full advantage of the experience. And that's really the point.

Seth Cooper

The best mindset to have for the 5 Boro is to go with the flow
I feel ya. That's one of the best parts of being on a recumbent right? Doesn't matter if you sat on a bike seat for 3 hours or 6 hours feels great either way. I am not in it to win it by any means.

I just get a little nervous around crowds at slow speeds b/c of it taking just a bit longer to get my feet down if needed than if I was on a DF. Likely I will wear my Kean SPD cycling shoes as they have a wide grippy sole so I can push around more easily with my feet and can pedal a bit without being clipped in if needed. My regular SPD shoes are hard plastic on the bottom so a bit skittish on the ground.

I am sure I'll be fine. I got an air-bnb booked on Staten Island about 5-10 min from the ferry, so the trick is just going to be getting to the start on time.

JerseyJim

Likely I will wear my Kean SPD cycling shoes as they have a wide grippy sole so I can push around more easily with my feet and can pedal a bit without being clipped in if needed.
The first one I did was on a SWB recumbent (before I got my T50). I did it in tennis sneakers on flat pedals. I normally wear MTB shoes with a SPD cleat. Having a shoe you can walk in comfortably is a good idea. Seems like you've got it covered. Looking forward to hearing your impressions afterward.

Seth Cooper

anyone know how taking a bike on the Staten Island Ferry works? the website says cyclists need to board at the lower level and put their bikes in the bike storage area where there are racks? do these racks hold cruzbikes?

JerseyJim

anyone know how taking a bike on the Staten Island Ferry works? the website says cyclists need to board at the lower level and put their bikes in the bike storage area where there are racks? do these racks hold cruzbikes?
You walk onto the ferry and stand with your bike during the transit. If you're curious what that looks like, check out my video. I show what it looks like on the ferry at the start:

Seth Cooper

You walk onto the ferry and stand with your bike during the transit. If you're curious what that looks like, check out my video. I show what it looks like on the ferry at the start:
Thanks Jim. Sounds really straight-forward and looks like there is a lot of space on the ferry for cyclists.

Do you remember how far in advance you got start waves in prior years?

JerseyJim

Thanks Jim. Sounds really straight-forward and looks like there is a lot of space on the ferry for cyclists.

Do you remember how far in advance you got start waves in prior years?
I think I got on the ferry around an hour before my wave started and arrived with plenty of time. The way the start is structured is that you can start with a later wave but you can't start earlier than your assigned wave. So if you miss a ferry and/or you arrive late, don't worry about it. You'll still get to ride.

Seth Cooper

I got my start wave, S4. Not sure what that means but I am asked to gather in around Thames St. which is closer to the Battery than Canal, so don't really think that is near the front at all....

I don't really care where I start; I'm getting pretty excited.

JerseyJim

I got my start wave, S4. Not sure what that means but I am asked to gather in around Thames St. which is closer to the Battery than Canal, so don't really think that is near the front at all....

I don't really care where I start; I'm getting pretty excited.
Best wishes for fine weather that day. Should be a fun ride either way.
:)

JerseyJim

Looks like it was a beautiful day for the Five Boro Bike Tour. You really couldn't ask for much better. Any reports?

Seth Cooper

It was a most beautiful day. You are right, we could not have had better weather.

My report:
Rode from my air-bnb to the ferry terminal, got in line to wait for the ferry. Almost immediately got in a conversation about the V20. Spent the ferry ride sitting on the V, the most comfortable place to be. Rode up the Greenway to the starting area, well directed. So many people. Our wave 4 was supposed to go at 9:15, but by the time I got up to the start, they decided it was time for wave 5, so I was held back behind about 100 others for announcements, the national anthem, etc.

This was all fine with me, I knew I would have some clear streets to catch the tail of wave 4. Once we got released, that was the case. It was nice clear riding up to Central Park, just avoiding the unaware pedestrians.

After that though, the crowd was ever present. The V really wasn't perhaps the best choice as it just wants to go fast esp given the slightest downhill, which there are plenty of in the ride. I was polite in my passing, but I couldn't really relax as much as I would have liked for most of the rest of the ride as I just needed to keep an eye out for those around me.

About 40min into the ride I crashed on the 3rd Ave Bridge coming back into Manhattan. Tire caught a pavement seam.

I had to re-adjust my front derailleur, then on the Queensboro bridge I realized my rear needed adjusting too. I bumped the micro-adjusters to line it back up, but I had to stop and walk to the top. Too many people to get going again on an uphill.

After that it was an easy ride to the finish. Stopped took some pics. Max speed was 43 mph coming down the Verranzano bridge.
I had so many comments on the bike, both directly to me "what is that bike", "nice bike" and many more overheard. "that is so cool" "looks cool from the back, then you see the front and are like what the hell" "whoa, look at that" I had a 10 min conversation with a trike rider who also has a P-38 while riding through Brooklyn.

All in all it was a great ride even with the crash. Shoulder is still sore, got a grapefruit sized lump on my hip the next morning.

If I do it again I will run it in a DF or get some wider tires, I was running 28mm. Also will pre-select a spot in Brooklyn to stop for lunch and a pint if the weather is nice.

the crash

JerseyJim

Aww, bad luck on the pavement groove. They usually do a good job either spray painting road defects or posting a volunteer to direct traffic around a particularly bad road section. I recall a particularly bad area on the FDR drive under the buildings.

Even though my T50 is much slower than the V20 and S40, I found it to be a good bike for social rides like this one since the the seating position is more upright. I've ridden it in the 5 Boro with 28mm tires and 37mm tires. The wider tires are much more comfortable and as you've concluded, less likely to get caught in a groove.

I had a similar experience with people asking questions about my bike. I'm still amazed at how many people have never seen a recumbent, especially among the cycling population.

The Queensboro Bridge is usually a bottleneck just due to volume of riders and the big speed differential coming off of the FDR and climbing up the entrance ramp. Plus, people stop and take pictures on the bridge.

I'm happy you enjoyed the ride despite the spill. The Five Boro Bike Tour has become a great New York tradition and a destination event for cyclists around the world. Congratulations!