bikist dog

ccf

Guru
I'm sure most readers on this thread have noticed dogs stare at them when they are riding their Cruzbike. I even had a golden retriever do a double-take as I went past him while I was riding off the back of a pace line. But how about anti-recumbent dogs?

One of my common commute routes takes me past a dog park where dog owners take their dogs so they can run free. One day when passing the dog park a dog came running toward the fence barking at me and came out onto the bike path at me. I got off the bike quickly and stood my ground, and after staring at me for a bit the dog retreated back into the park. Since then this same dog has chased me numerous times as I pass the park (but hasn't come out onto the bike path again, though he has certainly looked for a way out). I even saw him once at another location along the bike path where he was down on a beach and came tearing across the sand only giving up when he saw there was no path up onto the bike path.

Ordinarily I wouldn't think much of a dog wanting to chase me on my bike. But this dog is different. First of all, he seems hell-bent on getting a piece of me. He has a wild look in his eye when he sees me. But the more remarkable thing is that he completely ignores other cyclists. I've seen plenty of other cyclists passing the dog park when he has come for me, but he ignores them. I can't help but think that he wants a piece of me because I'm riding a "different" bike. He's a bikist dog.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
A lot of drivers have the same reaction. Most dogs I encounter seem confused and don't know where to bite. It is weird to have a dog barking in your ear though.

Reactions: ccf

Bill K

Guru
I've noticed that when you stop pedaling, many dogs tend to loose interest.
Maybe sitting strait up and costing will get him to recognize you as just another bike.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
ccf does your wife polish your bike with rump steak. ?

My wife waxes my surf ski regularly with meat flavoured shark edible wax. And has painted tastier fish than I on the sides.
Jond, is she a naturalist, animal friendly person?
I think that all the black coal dust in the sea at Newcastle would keep the sharks away!!

Suz

I haven’t figured out whether to laugh or cry at your original post. I was bit by a dog while riding my DF years ago so I know in my brain it’s not funny, but the picture of you being the only one this dog chases did make me chuckle (sorry), and think the same as Jond (again sorry, lol).
I would try the flashing light on the side with mace back up. I’ve tried squirting dogs with my water bottle and it works for smaller dogs, but not so sure I’d try it with a crazy eyed dog. May just make him more angry. Regardless I hope you get it solved and can ride in peace.

ccf

Guru
ccf does your wife polish your bike with rump steak. ?

My wife waxes my surf ski regularly with meat flavoured shark edible wax. And has painted tastier fish than I on the sides.

Ha! Maybe fumes from the grill are settling on my bike.

ccf

Guru
I haven’t figured out whether to laugh or cry at your original post.

Suz, I feel the same way. We have friends who are dog-lovers, and when I tell them this story and what i’d like to do to this dog, they just cringe. But my wife just laughs. Maybe jond is on to something.

Reactions: Suz

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I've been chased by 3 big dogs at 10 minutes to seven in the morning. There wasn't even a car around to help me.

Just got to pedal like mad.

Better to see the madness in the eye instead of looking at gnashing teeth

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I was overtaking a bunch of horse-riders on my Silvio. No oncoming traffic, so I went way over onto the wrong side of the road. Good job I did. This horse sort-of scrabbled a bit. for an instant I thought it was tripping over the pavement, then it kicked. I saw the underneath of the horse's foot, right next to my face. If I had stayed on my side of the road... Nasty.

Another suggestion is to carry a loud whistle. When you see the dogs run towards you, blow the whistle. It should startle the dogs long enough for you to peddle away. This has worked for me on, at least, one occasion that I remember. I have the whistle on a lanyard around my neck.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Jond, there was a Shark attack at Samurai Beach, Newcastle today, so black coal does not stop them!
The body surfer punched the shark in the nose and got away!
Do you swim at Samurai beach?
I hope NOT!

I got to pedal alongside a huge pit dog today. He was beautiful. I never felt threatened but he could have easily taken me out. I was having a nice ride and this guy was enjoying some yard time with his dad. No leash, no collar, no fence. He came jogging out but I recognized he was friendly. I basically had him run along, around the block, and back to his house. I did have to slow down so he could follow. The owner did apologize.

He definitely made my 20lb dog seem small. Beautiful dark grey color. He was having a grand time running along with me.

rx7mark

Guru
When I was much younger , I had a paper route for several years. Most dogs were not an issue, but there was one big dog that was determined to take a piece of my leg. The tried and true paperboy approved solution in those days was a squirt gun loaded with water and a little ammonia. One shot to the face and he would bark at me but keep his distance after that.

Mark

jond

Zen MBB Master
On the weekend I had a most remarkable experience . A black cockatoo flew 1 to 2 m away from me for around 4 klm.

It called quietly as if trying to communicate.

At first I thought it may have been trained by our Aussie magpies but no it was content to lope along beside in front and behind without removing my earlobes.

It told me how tasty sheoak nuts are. Lol.

Seriously it was ....Truly beautiful. Breathtaking really and a memory forever.