Blue Streak TT - MJ sets fastest ever recumbent time last night on his V20

Rob Lloyd

There's a handful of recumbent riders that have been racing the Blue Streak TT at Wright-Patterson AFB all season long. They have a race the 2nd Tuesday of each month all summer long.

Thom Ollinger, Jonathan Walters, Mike Mowett, MJ McClure and Myself.

MJ has been trying to get Mike's Morciglio Raptor up to speed all season, but just has not had any good luck with it. So, last night he gave it back to Mike and rode the race on his V20 - setting a new fastest time for any recumbent on the course! (including Larry O's time on his V20 Magic bike last fall).

52213867384_cf9b7b6f0b_c.jpg

I got some pit-side video of us and our bikes. I have to edit it; I'll post later....

Last edited:
Now that looks like fun!! Wish I had more bents around me for a competition like this. Would also be good if Strava had the ability to filter a leader board for recumbents.

M.J

Now that looks like fun!! Wish I had more bents around me for a competition like this. Would also be good if Strava had the ability to filter a leader board for recumbents.
I'm glad strava doesn't filter for recumbents because that would be a step towards excluding us from the leaderboards.
The race is always fun! There were 115 racers total, most on TT bikes or regular upright road bikes, plus 4 recumbents and a mountain bike. I placed 9th overall.

Rob Lloyd

I'm glad strava doesn't filter for recumbents because that would be a step towards excluding us from the leaderboards.
The race is always fun! There were 115 racers total, most on TT bikes or regular upright road bikes, plus 4 recumbents and a mountain bike. I placed 9th overall.
Don't forget the guy that raced with the kiddie trailer behind him...

Reactions: M.J
As a DF rider with many KOMs on my DF (as well as a few on my V20), I wish Strava had some checkboxs for TT bikes and bents and enabled filtering. I have no issue with the overall KOM being any type unassisted bike, but it would be good to have some sub KOM categories for different styles of bikes or even just to filter the results so you know whether someone beat you from just having an equipment advantage. And it would be great for us bent guys to be able to compete with each other without having to sort through the data to remove the non-bents.

Anyway, that sounds like great fun! Wish I could do something similar!

jond

Zen MBB Master
Hey Vossi in this day an enlightened age Strava accepts Recumbents but excludes velo mobiles from its kom pantheon. Are we not lucky.
What about those koms wind assisted or led out by a peloton Or e assisted. In other words i reckon koms are ahem Merely an indication. QOM s ….however are the real deal and if an Aussie bloke wants to be a shazza well apparently that’s ok too. ;)
we will race soon.

jond

Zen MBB Master
MPH please when will America join the world . Holding out for what? . Don’t pay any attention to the 90 mile straight being 146.6 klm. That’s a very old Aussie sign. ;)

Hey Vossi in this day an enlightened age Strava accepts Recumbents but excludes velo mobiles from its kom pantheon. Are we not lucky.
What about those koms wind assisted or led out by a peloton Or e assisted. In other words i reckon koms are ahem Merely an indication. QOM s ….however are the real deal and if an Aussie bloke wants to be a shazza well apparently that’s ok too. ;)
we will race soon.

I still love my Strava segments. Sure there are limits, and many KOMs are not taken on the rider merit as much as the conditions (drafting cars, tail wind etc.), but you can see when that is happening mostly. I still love the fun of some competition with the locals!

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I wish there wasn't such a sigma attached to Bents, you just don't see many younger riders on them. Probably due to UCI marketing and promo rules. Anyways... that was a major achievement for mj and the team.

MPH please when will America join the world . Holding out for what? . Don’t pay any attention to the 90 mile straight being 146.6 klm. That’s a very old Aussie sign. ;)
I know, I wish we would join the rest of the world. Metric is so much easier! But Americans are spoiled and unwilling to give up anything.

JerseyJim

I know, I wish we would join the rest of the world. Metric is so much easier! But Americans are spoiled and unwilling to give up anything.
Back when I was in grade school, President Carter (yeah I'm that old) was pushing for the USA to change to metric. I remember getting taught metric units in class. I think even congress approved it. But Carter didn't win a second term and, well the rest is history. The USA didn't give an inch. But we do have 2 liter bottles of soda! :p

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
As an American living abroad I didn't really have a choice. Most of my friends come from countries that use metric and despite me being crap at math I had to learn it starting with 350ml beer cans and then 500ml beer cans as the nights wore on haha

Rob Lloyd

Sorry, MJ. Your time's been busted. JW (Jon Walters) did a blistering 20.08 last night at just under 30mph average. On a NoCom.

Reactions: M.J

Flying Dutchman

As a Dutchman living in the UK, I had to 'un-learn' decimalisation - I still have no idea how many stones I weigh and being 5 foot 11, I would assume you are 6 foot 1 but no.... But the biggest surprise was that the British Gallon is different from the US Gallon - OMG. And it gets funnier when you want to know fuel consumption of a car. Distances are in miles, so fuel consumption is in Miles per Gallon, however then you get to a fuel station, and you fill up your car in ..... Litres ... So still no idea how many gallons you put in your tank. Oh yes and the land mile is different from a sea mile ....

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
As a Dutchman living in the UK, I had to 'un-learn' decimalisation - I still have no idea how many stones I weigh and being 5 foot 11, I would assume you are 6 foot 1 but no.... But the biggest surprise was that the British Gallon is different from the US Gallon - OMG. And it gets funnier when you want to know fuel consumption of a car. Distances are in miles, so fuel consumption is in Miles per Gallon, however then you get to a fuel station, and you fill up your car in ..... Litres ... So still no idea how many gallons you put in your tank. Oh yes and the land mile is different from a sea mile ....
As an international but simple Texas Marine who sucked at math but also worked on sport fishing boats in Hawaii, I believe in the KISS method of "more horsepower and less weight" and I flip between all those in English and Japanese including knots but not the British gallon.

FWIW I am 5'10" and 12.3 stones :D