BRAG 2022

twhbent

For those that have registered or planning to register for the 2022 BRAG(bike ride across Georgia) the route has been announced and can be viewed on https://www.brag.org/brag/#programs.
Also riders can update the shuttle option that best meets their needs.
I would suggest if you need a shuttle to register for that option ASAP.
Sometimes these shuttles fill up early.
See you then.

Also, Cruzbike wrote:
“After much discussion, in 2022 we will plan on joining the Bike Ride Across Georgia (BRAG) June 4-11 and make that the Cruzbike social of the season. There was lots of interest in RAGBRAI, and we hope to do that in 2023 or 2024. More information is coming on the BRAG as we hope to put together a team of at least 10 people.”

Read their blog post:
https://cruzbike.com/blogs/blog/brag-2022-cruzbike-recumbent-road-bikes
Free Custom BRAG jersey if we get at least ten to register under TEAM CRUZBIKE.

This year’s tour is a true cross-state ride from Columbus to Brunswick.

From BRAG:
“All team members must be signed up by March 1st in order to qualify for the free jersey
*Only Adult full-week Big BRAG registrations are eligible for the Jersey promotion. “

Jayrob

Brunswick is my Hometown and still have family there. My Niece lives in Columbus. I actually have family and friends on the whole route. Would love to be there but have obligations in TX. Don't forget to try the boiled peanuts! For the best local seafood Mudcat Charlie's on north US-17 at the Altamaha River between Brunswick and Darien is the best. My favorite is crab stuffed flounder.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
The BRAG Website is slightly confusing to me. They say
upload_2022-1-7_6-43-37.png
.. but no where I read do they say anything like: We are riding the same route as we did last year, or have links "2022 Routes" , etc.
Everything is about "2021".
Has anyone talked with them in person to find out if the 2022 route is exactly the same as the 2o21 route?

"Ride NC" which does "Mountains to the Beach" every year purposefully change up the cities each year so it is a different route for people that do each year.

The BRAG Website is slightly confusing to me. They say
View attachment 12582
.. but no where I read do they say anything like: We are riding the same route as we did last year, or have links "2022 Routes" , etc.
Everything is about "2021".
Has anyone talked with them in person to find out if the 2022 route is exactly the same as the 2o21 route?

"Ride NC" which does "Mountains to the Beach" every year purposefully change up the cities each year so it is a different route for people that do each year.
The hotel listing will be revealed January 15, they’ll probably update the web page then. The cities visited are: Columbus, Thomaston, Perry, Dublin (layover day), Hazlehurst, Jesup, then Brunswick. RideWithGPS links are on the website, look further down under the daily activities.

Good news is that there are at least 13 TEAM CRUZBIKE riders so far, so we get the custom jerseys.

Last edited:

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Who all knows this area and can assess? Is this an epic ride where taking it in a good pace to drink up the scenery is par for the course? Or is it a a route wrought with pain?

Jayrob

The first 3 days there are some rollers and climbs, nothing ball breaking, and from Dublin to Brunswick it is almost flat. From Baxley to Brunswick it is really flat.

Jayrob

Fort Valley and the surrounding area was the peach capital at one time and still they have the largest, juiciest peaches. Make sure to wear a bib! The peaches are so juicy it will run down your shirt. I rode my old single speed Western Flyer in the mid '60's from Fort Valley to Brunswick. I took a lot more direct route instead of the BRAG route. It took 4 days back then and the roads were very narrow with no shoulders and not very many places to eat. At 13 years old it was a trip of a life time. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and peaches were my fuel. Had about 20 flats and used the old patches and glue where you set the glue on fire. Those things would really stick.

For those of you who plan to use hotels & Black Dog luggage service:
I reserved a room at The Trowell Historic Inn B&B near downtown Jessup for the final night of the tour. The official hotels have such poor reviews I think it's worth the upgrade. I confirmed with Black Dog that they will drop off & pick up from the B&B. It's three miles from the camp and a half mile from downtown Jessup. We may be able to get The BRAG shuttle service to include the Trowell B&B in its hotel shuttle. B&Bs usually don't like people to bring their bikes up stairs and into the rooms.

In case you're interested, they have three more rooms available as of today.

For those who might like the B&B very close to Dublin's camp, It's sold out. That's okay, that one's very expensive.

Last edited:
BRAG finally released their hotel list for June 6 @ Perry, they were probably negotiating discounts or something. I got one of the non-listed hotels (Comfort Inn) closer to the camp at the fairgrounds (one mile vs. three miles for the official hotels.) This will make it easier to enjoy the camp activities. Black Dog will serve these closer hotels as well.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I have just signed up for the BRAG. I am doing the indoor camping option.
Reminder - tomorrow is the last day to sign up to receive a free team Jersey.
376 riders registered for the full week - 16 on the Cruzbike Team

twhbent

All Cruzbikers that have registered for the 2022 BRAG please forward to me your asap:
1-email address
2-shirt/jersey size(for the free jersey)
I will forward this info to Maria.

Thank you, Tony.