Brewmaster's First Ride Report!

Brewmaster

Hey Everybody,
Here's my first ride report! I've had the opportunity to ride the new Silvio 3 times in the last week, so here's the break down.
1) First time out was Sunday the 15th. My daughter and I went out to a local elementary school with a sizable parking lot....I thought this might be better than trying the street in front of my house. First thoughts? This thing is ALIVE! ALIVE I TELL YOU!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: After the initial freak-out, I settled down...thanks for all the advice people. I really had to remove my brain from the equation. I ended up riding 20 loops to the left, 20 loops to the right, 20 figure eight's, and starting 20 times. I also ended up clipping in, and I found out, for me, clipping makes me a whole lot smoother. The only mishap was on the first start-up, I ended up clipping in with one foot accidentally, and I Artie Johnson'd onto my right arm :( . Bruised arm, scraped Brifter, but no other damage....just a little touch-up paint and an Advil with an IPA chaser and all was as good as new :cool: . Total seat time - about an hour.
2) The next day, the 16th, was a school holiday, so my daughter and I went down to the local MUT called the Springwater Trail in Portland, OR. Here's a map: http://www.portlandonline.com/parks/finder/index.cfm?action=ViewFile&PolPdfsID=425&/Springwater%20Corridor%20Map.pdf
We started out in town, parking by the Hawthorn Bridge, and we rode south along the Willamette River. I was a bit shaky, but I was able to ride 12 miles - 6 out and back. The bike was less "alive" than the first ride, but still I had some "crazy leg" moments and would swerve. So, I stopped pedaling as I passed people to avoid any contact. Notice I said "pass". I easily spun out the 42-16 combo for an easy 21mph. This bike is fast! With more control, or is that relaxing zen thing, speed will come........I mean I haven't even tried out the big ring, yet! The Campy set-up is very, very quiet, and I highly recommend it and the KMC chain... great, clean, smooth shifting. Definitely felt some new muscles in my shoulders, back, butt, and legs.....even after putting 3000 miles on my Stratus XP last year. This bike will be fun! :D :D Total Seat time - about an hour.
3) Yesterday, the 21st, my bike buddy called, so we went out for a ride on my normal loop. I started in the same place, and we went out the Springwater and ended up coming in back through town....on the street....with cars. I managed pretty well. I had some really smooth moments, as well as some swervy moments, but my buddy said, riding behind me on a Bachetta Strada,that he thought I was pretty smooth....it just didn't feel that way. We made it back fine without incident. I just had a bit of trouble at stop lights....and that will improve with time. Still felt a bit of tension in my shoulders and back, but not as bad as last Monday, and we rode 25 miles in an hour and 11 minutes....so pretty fast! I am beginning to see how this bike works, and I am impressed with it. The suspension! Brilliant! Dull thuds instead of sharp bumps....also the 28mm Conti Gatorskins are very nice. And I think my best analogy for riding the Silvio is that it is not unlike riding rollers with an upright. The smoothness of the pedal stoke, cadence management, and body position all matter to keep you upright on rollers...I'm getting a similar feeling with the Silvio. I also like that the pedal distance changes as you turn. My knees and hips feel more "refreshed", and I can really get some power to the road without the feeling of being strapped in to a fixed distance. Total Seat Time - 71 minutes
Jamie

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
It's only just begun, Jamie..... Know that!

Good report and glad you had fun. Be mindful of your hips as sudden "body english" moves like you would make on a RWD bike can and will get you real squirrely real fast. This can be a good thing for evasive maneuvers, but a bad thing when you least expect it.

Mark

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Great report, Jamie. Looking forward to more!

Dang, this makes me thirsty. Too bad we can't get FSA here in Alabama...yet (the legislature is in session and we have "real beer" bills up for vote).