Broken bolt, OPPS

Rich

Tried to install heavy duty rack on my Q559, but the two screws attaching the arms with the hooked ends to the post are quite long the don't seem to want to go into the tapped holes in the post top. I purchased shorter 6M bolts to use and was just finishing up the install by tightening them down to the post and one sheared off!
Any idea how I can get this out? Do I need to go back to the original post?
What type of screws should I have been using?

billyk

Guru
You're going to need a screw extractor (duh!), which looks like a conical reverse-threaded screw. First you drill a small hole through the screw, then insert the extractor turning it counterclockwise (opposite a usual screw), as it tightens in the hole, it grabs the broken screw and rotates it out. But stainless screws are hard to drill! It's a pain.

That said, I have had similar trouble getting these guys in, and yes, they seem too long. The few times I've had them in and out (like adjusting the seat angle), I worry about exactly this.

jond

Zen MBB Master
th
Tried to install heavy duty rack on my Q559, but the two screws attaching the arms with the hooked ends to the post are quite long the don't seem to want to go into the tapped holes in the post top. I purchased shorter 6M bolts to use and was just finishing up the install by tightening them down to the post and one sheared off!
Any idea how I can get this out? Do I need to go back to the original post?
What type of screws should I have been using?
they are termed an easy out tool here in australia. as billy k suggests difficult operation but possible. use a punch and start with filed flat.