BYE-BYE PUSH-PULL

hurri47

Does this sound familiar to anybody?

I ride a used conversion kit, and I started out like everybody else, with my hands up high and doing push-only on the grips. Then I graduated to pulling on alternate grips under climbing or sprinting, but I have not heard anybody else describe my next step.

In the course of indulging my preference for loading my bike upright in my minivan, I switched to flat bars and brought them down and toward me. As a consequence my arms are no longer as straight while riding as they once were, requiring increased effort on the bicep/tricep push-pull. Recently I find myself pulling less on the bars with this setup, but instead I swing them left and right to oppose the pedal steer - no torque on the stem, but a linear swaying motion. The effort in this is very light.

Is this just another known step on the way to the hands-off ideal, or have I invented a thing?

-Dan

Kim Tolhurst

its natural

Hi Dan, One of the consistent themes of riding the cruzbike is as you try different riding styles/positions it will soon show you more or less personal benefits to those changes. A conversion rider of some years riding in the position you have just described is in the midst of riding a recently acquired Vendetta.(to straighter arms) Also it turns out as overall riding experience increases, changes become more easily acceptable. Body/muscle memory is brilliant though somethings need to be forgotten, (from riding other bikes) and that's why the open palms at the start gives everyone an even start. So on one hand its a known step and on the other you discovered it yourself. cool.
best,

Kim.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Dan,
Sounds like you are on

Dan,

Sounds like you are on your way to a smoother spin and eventual hands off riding. Not recommended to do much of, but it is a very cool feeling to be pedaling a MBB FWD bike no hands. It can be done!

Robert