Cable Actuated Disc brake caliper set up process

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Hi all,

I have been frustrated with the usual process of setting up the cable disc brake caliper to not rub the rotor. The usual process I have seen is to loosen the bolts, squeeze the brake handle, and tighten the bolts. I found that the process of squeezing the handle actually moves the brake cable line especially because of stiff compressionless housing so that the final result is not a parallel pad/rotor.

Here is the new (to me) process I created to set the calipers, which I tested on two sets of calipers. Note - this way only works with TRP/Tektro type dual piston cable disc brake caliper.
1. Loosen the bolts
2. Turn the pad wear screws, in alternating and equal small increments on both pistons, until the wheel cannot move anymore
3. At this point, the brake caliper, pads, and rotor should be parallel to each other because the force applied to squeeze the rotor comes from the pads and not the cable housing.
4. Tighten the caliper bolts
5. Turn back the pad wear screws
6. The caliper pads should be parallel to the rotor and have enough/equal clearance to the rotor

Please let me know what you think. I would love to hear if there is another/easier way of doing this.

Michael

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Agreed Michael,

You have captured the idea of the squeeze brake lever method, used by the pros, mechanics, time-strapped, and experienced, in a way that is useable to us non- time strapped, non-professionals. Pro tip: I'm not sure how you tried it but using the lever on the brake calliper is way easier than the brake lever on the handlebar.

I also like that it eliminates any awkwardness of trying to do three things at once: pull on the brake lever, hold the calliper body still, and tighten bolts at the same time.

You can do the same thing with the ones that pull from one side. The simplest way I have heard is by placing a business card on the fixed pad side and then tightening the other side to the until the brake is clamped (wheel doesn't move) and then continuing from step 4. Tighten calliper bolts. etc.

billyk

Guru
I used @benphyr 's business card (match book) method when I had one-side-adjust brakes and now use @cpml123 's method with TRP Spyres! Absolutely! You can do a similar thing with the cable tension twist adjuster if it has enough thread.