Calvin's Challenge

BentAero

The CB crew out practicing pacelines the night before Calvin's Challenge.
Jim, Maria, Ben, Larry, and Kevin (on a CA2.)
Forecast is for upper 40's at the 7:00 am start, with a sunny high in the low 70's.
20150501_175826_10_zpsdgled2ki.jpg

BentAero

3 hours 20 minutes in, Larry, Maria, Ben are still in the lead.
Jim flatted at about mile 35. He's waiting for the pack to finish loop two, then will jump in and pull.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Bentaero,

Thanks for the update!
Love having the ability to keep tabs.

Jim can't seem to catch a break - As a solo rider it would be so tough to flat like that in the event but as part of a team there is more to it...great work.

BentAero

The peloton had shrunk to about 15-20 riders at the Century mark. When they arrived at roughly 4hrs 20 minutes, Larry, Ben, Maria, and Kevin were still in the lead draft. Jim jumped back in to pull for them when they arrived.

Last edited:

BentAero

Due to several scoring errors, it was 10:30 by the time the awards were given out.
Despite suffering from stomach nausea for the last half of the race, Maria took top honors among the women with 257 miles.
Ben finished with 263 miles, tying for second overall and winning his 30-34 age group.
Larry, the navy seal of recumbent riders, won overall with 264 miles, besting a field of 190 riders. Truly an amazing feat considering he had rotator cuff surgery 6 weeks ago, and a serious hide-peeling crash last Sunday.
20150502_222526_zpsd1vtjcrf.jpg

Last edited:

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Amazing showing, I've been checking your updates almost hourly most of the day Gary!
Thanks for your efforts on their behalf.

Great work team!
Way to go Larry and Ben!
Way to suffer Maria!
Way to play for the team Jim!

And anyone else behind the scenes...truly impressive and inspiring!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Amazing showing, I've been checking your updates almost hourly most of the day Gary!
Thanks for your efforts on their behalf.

Great work team!
Way to go Larry and Ben!
Way to suffer Maria!
Way to play for the team Jim!

And anyone else behind the scenes...truly impressive and inspiring!

Couldn't have said it better.

Happyrider

Wow, what a performance! Congratulations to all. If you ever come to cycle with me here in France Larry, I think we will just ride short loops. That way we can occasionally ride together -- each time you pass me! :D

What I notice in the photos is that no one seems to have his/her head on the headrest. Indeed, it looks in some cases that if their head were on the headrest, the rider would have a hard time seeing in front. So far that is the limiting factor in my ability to ride my 2-position Vendetta seat in the fully reclined position. My head doesn't touch the headrest and any distance supporting it like in these photos and my neck and shoulders start to kill me. So I am going to have to work on retrofitting the headrest to provide some actual support for my head.

I didn't follow the race but saw the results here now.
Very impressive of Larry to win with his recent injuries.
Well done for the other CB riders.
Did Maria sett a new woman's distance record for this race?