Campagnolo Silvio Component bundle

JimParker

After a lot of research reading comments here on the forum and doing my own research by riding across North Carolina on a Campagnolo-equipped Silvio, it seems many of us have settled on an optimum component package for the Silvio.

Not that there aren't some really nice Shimano-based Silvios (like my wife's). ...but Campagnolo, with the recessed cables, seem the perfect match for the Silvio. And the Campy Comp Triple allowed me to start from a dead-stop straight up some pretty steep hills. I don't think I could have done that with a double-- I would have needed to start at an angle and get some momentum before turning into the hills. That feature alone makes me love my Comp Triple, but the Triple also makes grinding up those long steep hills just a little easier.

So I've done some negotiating and sourcing and think we may soon be able to offer the following to existing and new Silvio owners, $1200 with wheels, $990 without:

2009 components from Campagnolo:
CENTAUR™ UD™ 10s sprockets 13-29
CENTAUR™-D SKELETON™ brakes
CENTAUR™ 10s chain
CENTAUR™ Ultra Shift™ Carbon 10s Ergopower™ shifiting levers
Comp Triple chainring ( 30-42-53 ) with 170mm crank
Triple rear derailleur (long cage)
Triple front derailleur braze-on
Triple bottom bracket 115.5 mm English 68mm

non-Campy parts list:
long brake cable (to reach the rear wheel)
Xerolite XR-1 Campy-compatible wheelset
Origin-8 Gary handlebar

Note the shifters are the carbon variety, not aluminum. They are lighter, better looking, and more expensive. It's what I have on my Silvio and I love the way they work and feel.

The only other things you would need to provide on your own would be tubes and tires.

Please feel free to try to source these for less. I need to get a feel for how much interest there is in me moving ahead with a bulk purchase of these parts. I think this could not only save Silvio owners some money, but reduce the hassle factor and guarantee a truly sweet result.

Jim

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I agree that Campy components seem to work really well on Silvios. That seems like a really fair price for the groupo.

Mark

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I believe that is a very good price.

However, I'm not sure I want brifters. I really prefer twist grip shifters (esp. since I'm nowhere near being a weight weenie).

There are other considerations, of course. 9sp gear sets work quite well for me (11-32) and I've gotten my leg strength up to where I've been considering dropping the triple on the Baron and finding a nice double (not compact).

I'm still new at this format, so my personal gearing choices may change considerably as I put miles on my conversion. I can easily swap the Baron's rear wheel (650c Velocity Deep V with an 11-32 Shimano cassette) and see what happens.

Gromit

Guru
trapdoor2 wrote:

However, I'm not sure I want brifters. I really prefer twist grip shifters (esp. since I'm nowhere near being a weight weenie).

Marc (trapdoor2)
I'm not sure how well twist grip shifters would work on the type of handlebars which you might use on a Silvio. Would there be a long enough, straight section of tubing to fit the twist grip? As an alternative to brifters have you considered Shimano bar end shifters mounted on Paul Thumbies?
Mark B started a thread about thema while ago.

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Gromit wrote:
trapdoor2 wrote:

Marc (trapdoor2)
I'm not sure how well twist grip shifters would work on the type of handlebars which you might use on a Silvio. Would there be a long enough, straight section of tubing to fit the twist grip? As an alternative to brifters have you considered Shimano bar end shifters mounted on Paul Thumbies?
Not having a silvio, but the freerider does come with a twist grip shifter, right? It has the problem that you can not change gear and brake at the same time.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
JonB wrote:
Gromit wrote:
trapdoor2 wrote:

Marc (trapdoor2)
Not having a silvio, but the freerider does come with a twist grip shifter, right? It has the problem that you can not change gear and brake at the same time.

Marc,

I hear you about twist shifters, but there's something really cool about having brifters on a recumbent. It just blows roadies minds!

Jon,

You actually can shift and brake at the same time. At least, I was always able to. You only need your thumb and index finger to shift.

Gromit,

The Bar end / Paul Thumbies solution worked really well. I certainly would not be afraid of setting one up like that.

Mark

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Over about 3k miles, I haven't had a problem shifting and braking. I've certainly had my share of emergency stops...and occasionally I've been left to get off and work down thru the gears 'manually'. The preferred handlebar for the Silvio isn't the only bar which will work, there are quite a few others which look like they might do well. Something like the Volae bar might do well (I'm guessing), I'm sure to have different opinions as I Cruze along. ;)

I really like a wide cassette (11-32). If the Campy Centaur (or even SRAM or Shimano) brifters were compatible with such a thing, I'd give it serious thought. Frankly, they may be able to handle it if combined with a long-cage D...but I don't know enough about 'em to tell. I had no idea that the Campy Brifter was compatible with a front triple. :|

My Catrike has Shimano barcons...and my brother has the Paul Thumbies on his current DF. They work well enough but I really have grown to like the twisties. If possible, I'll never go back to barcons.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
trapdoor2 wrote: I really like a wide cassette (11-32)..

I believe you will find with the power transfer you get from a FWD, the 30-32 combination will be waaaaay overkill. Heck, I climb stuff on my 42 that would have had me on my 30 with my other recumbents.

Mark

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Mark B wrote:
trapdoor2 wrote: I really like a wide cassette (11-32)..

I believe you will find with the power transfer you get from a FWD, the 30-32 combination will be waaaaay overkill. Heck, I climb stuff on my 42 that would have had me on my 30 with my other recumbents.

Yeah, that's kinda why I'm being pretty passive in my commentary...I don't yet have 15mi on the Conversion (heck it was only 44F yesterday with a good stiff breeze...probably less than zero wind chill...I stayed inside!). While I might not ascribe it to the FWD, I felt the change in position (from Baron to Cruz) allowed me to produce more power. I haven't done the "gear-inch" comparison between the two yet. I believe the old chainrings are close to 53/39, I'll go out and count gear-teeth tonight. :)

I have a "test" hill just down my street. I can barely climb it on the Baron w/o overclocking the ol' ticker. Takes about +110rpm and a 26 tooth front vs 32 rear (19.8 gear/in). Thank god it is only 150yds. :shock: Will be interesting to see if I can climb it on the Conversion...will attempt it after a good bit more training though. :cool:

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Well...I did the "tooth count" last night and then today did the Sheldon Brown "Gear Inch" comparison between what I have on the Baron vs what I have on the Cruzbike Conversion.

Cruzbike Conversion has a 52-40 up front and a 14-16-18-20-22-24-28 (7sp) rear w/26X1.25 wheel. Baron has a road triple up front (53-42-26) 11-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32 (9sp) rear w/650cX23 wheel.

Short answer: if I disregard the Baron's "granny" 26tooth chainring, two small gears (11-12) and one large (32), the two gearsets (comparatively per gear-inches) are very, very close. I should be able to ride them in side-by-side performance comparisons reasonably well within those limitations.

Now the weather needs to cooperate!

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
trapdoor2 wrote: Short answer: if I disregard the Baron's "granny" 26tooth chainring, two small gears (11-12) and one large (32), the two gearsets (comparatively per gear-inches) are very, very close. I should be able to ride them in side-by-side performance comparisons reasonably well within those limitations.

I think you will find the conversion gets more power to the ground. In fact, I'd bet on it.

Mark

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Mark B wrote:
I think you will find the conversion gets more power to the ground. In fact, I'd bet on it.

Mark
I'm not takin' that bet. The riding position on the Conversion just 'feels' more efficient. I have been looking for a cheap 700c wheelset to use on the Conversion so I'll have a better feel for what I might like come Silvio time.

Oh yeah, I have started haunting ebay for Silvio componentry. Much easier on my mental pocketbook if I buy the components individually over time vs. 'all at once'. Only problem there is either forgetting what I have purchased (and then buying another) or forgetting where I've put said purchase when build time comes around!

dennis.frakes

Jim,

Do you offer this bundle now? I will buy a frame set as soon as my ICE Trike sells - and this would take a load off my mind if I can buy a bundle that I know works and the price is lower than what I have been quoted.

Dennis

JimParker

dennis.frakes wrote: Jim,

Do you offer this bundle now? I will buy a frame set as soon as my ICE Trike sells - and this would take a load off my mind if I can buy a bundle that I know works and the price is lower than what I have been quoted.

Dennis

Dennis,
Yes. If the bundle is not listed in our shopping cart by the time you are ready to buy your Silvio, just email us directly at sales@cruzbike.com. Let me know if you want the bundle with or without the wheels. If you know what kind of pedals you are going to want, let me know and I may be able to get them cheaper for you. My favorite pedals are SPD on one side and platform on the other, so I can ride with regular shoes or I can clip in.

Jim