Campy on V20?

lampinyo

Esteemed colleagues, anyone tried running Campy shifters on their V20? I'm hoping to soon be the owner of my first V20 and wondering if the downshift thumb tab on the inside of the campy lever will be a bit hard to reach? Seems everyone runs Shimano or SRAM where obviously this isn't an issue.

Last edited:

Don1

Guru
Depends how you setup the bars. If you ride the hoods with a bullhorn bar, there shouldn't be a problem other than getting used to that type of bar and finding one wide enough (bout 400mm min)

Don1

Guru
Then again might be ok on the standard bar if you ride in the drops with the bars pretty level like a df, so your thumb can get the lever... Worth a play if you have them... Mind you the new v20 has Microshift with a thumb lever. So forget the ramble and mount em and go.

lampinyo

Then again might be ok on the standard bar if you ride in the drops with the bars pretty level like a df, so your thumb can get the lever... Worth a play if you have them... Mind you the new v20 has Microshift with a thumb lever. So forget the ramble and mount em and go.
Thanks, I'm sure you're right and there'll be a way to make them work one way or another.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I have Chorus on my DF bike and love it. The thumb shifters could be a problem with thigh-strike if you use narrow bars on a V20, and/or if you rotate the bars down so the hoods are relatively level like on a DF bike. I now use SRAM Brifters and 390mm wide drop bars and my legs at the top of my pedal stroke just barely clear my bars which are rotated up a little. You can rotate the bars up a little to make leg room though if needed.

lampinyo

I have Chorus on my DF bike and love it. The thumb shifters could be a problem with thigh-strike if you use narrow bars on a V20, and/or if you rotate the bars down so the hoods are relatively level like on a DF bike. I now use SRAM Brifters and 390mm wide drop bars and my legs at the top of my pedal stroke just barely clear my bars which are rotated up a little. You can rotate the bars up a little to make leg room though if needed.
Thanks Frito, I've always loved Campy but didn't even consider the thigh-strike potential on the inboard lever. Will be on my new (to me) V20 and I've got a Record gruppo hanging around looking for a home so thought it may work. Think I'll go with the known safe option of Shimano to be sure though. Thanks again for your input.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I believe the stock bars on the V20 are 420mm wide, and since they are flared then the Record brifters should fit. Install the brifters on the V20 bars first to check the fit. Remember you can rotate the bars down and up, and you just might be able to make it work. Record is really nice and it would be a shame to have that sitting on a shelf haha

lampinyo

I believe the stock bars on the V20 are 420mm wide, and since they are flared then the Record brifters should fit. Install the brifters on the V20 bars first to check the fit. Remember you can rotate the bars down and up, and you just might be able to make it work. Record is really nice and it would be a shame to have that sitting on a shelf haha
Thanks Frito. Just looked at your Strava link above, how are the roads and drivers in Japan? Respectful and courteous hopefully. How's the cycling infrastructure?

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Thanks Frito. Just looked at your Strava link above, how are the roads and drivers in Japan? Respectful and courteous hopefully. How's the cycling infrastructure?
Thanks lampinyo, it is really nice here. Bike lanes almost everywhere, roads are in great condition, and plenty of long bike paths. 1 of the best things is that drivers are courteous, not aggressive for the most part. There are plenty of bike tours riders can go on but I don't do much touring. I seem to spend almost all of my pedal time on the Arakawa River trying to get faster and build endurance. My usual path has 40km of path with only 1 traffic light to contend with. You can see it at the 12:30 marker of this video...

They paved the gravel section at the end of the video so it adds another 1.5km, but after that there are a few traffic lights.

lampinyo

Sugoi! Looks just so great. Total opposite to here in Sydney Australia where drivers are aggressive towards cyclists and bike infrastructure sadly lacking. Not a great combo unfortunately.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Sugoi! Looks just so great. Total opposite to here in Sydney Australia where drivers are aggressive towards cyclists and bike infrastructure sadly lacking. Not a great combo unfortunately.
I hear ya. I had so many close calls when cycling back home. Those prevented me from taking up cycling. You'd think with plenty of land that drivers would be a little less concerned about how much of it cyclists take up, but I guess not.

lampinyo

Thanks Frito, I've always loved Campy but didn't even consider the thigh-strike potential on the inboard lever. Will be on my new (to me) V20 and I've got a Record gruppo hanging around looking for a home so thought it may work. Think I'll go with the known safe option of Shimano to be sure though. Thanks again for your input.
Hey Frito, Thought I'd mention to you that I've finally ridden my V20 for the first time and glad i went with dura ace. You'd need some impressively long thumbs to get to those Campy downshift levers by my reckoning.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Hey Frito, Thought I'd mention to you that I've finally ridden my V20 for the first time and glad i went with dura ace. You'd need some impressively long thumbs to get to those Campy downshift levers by my reckoning.
Glad to hear Lampinyo. Dura Ace is very nice. With my 390mm Nitto bars as they are now, Campagnolo would be a nightmare for the thumb shifter. With wider bars turned down like most V20 pilots Campagnolo might be okay from the drops. I'm still waiting to get SRAM's AXS Multiclick shifters and then I can get rid of the clunky brifters and go with the Super Record TT carbon fiber brake levers and tiny Multiclicks to clean up my V20 cockpit significantly and lose the weight of the SRAM brifters.

How was the 1st ride? Everything you thought, or still need a lot of tweaking to do?

lampinyo

Glad to hear Lampinyo. Dura Ace is very nice. With my 390mm Nitto bars as they are now, Campagnolo would be a nightmare for the thumb shifter. With wider bars turned down like most V20 pilots Campagnolo might be okay from the drops. I'm still waiting to get SRAM's AXS Multiclick shifters and then I can get rid of the clunky brifters and go with the Super Record TT carbon fiber brake levers and tiny Multiclicks to clean up my V20 cockpit significantly and lose the weight of the SRAM brifters.

How was the 1st ride? Everything you thought, or still need a lot of tweaking to do?
Thanks for enquiring Frito, maybe not as bad as it could've been as I've been riding a performer zelus fwd for last 5 months and there's a bit of torque steer on that bike as well. I was only doing some figure 8s in a local car park and getting used to the feel of the thing which does feel great. I just need a coupla hundred kms on it to get accustomed to I guess and then start tweaking of position and equipment after that. Even on my very limited ride I could tell it's just so much more responsive than my old clunker. More like a fast road bike which I'm way more used to. Can I ask if you're using the stock headrest? That's the one thing that I'm not sure about. Was looking at the CB adjustable suspension headrest which looks a good bit of design. Do you recall your first ride on a V20 and your impressions of it?
The cockpit clean up plan for yours does sound very cool!

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I am glad to hear that your rides on the V20 are going well. You'll get used to it I am sure. As for my head rest, I have switched between the OEM and the Performance Adjustable Headrest a few times, and while both are okay in my opinion, I just happen to be using the latter. As for my fist real ride, I remember it being a bit harrowing, but in a good way. I was still a bit wobbly, but I could tell that when I kept it straight it was going to be fast.