Can you put a smaller front wheel on conversion kit?

Hilry

Can you put a smaller front wheel on conversion kit? I would like to try it with a 24" front wheel and 700c back wheel (or possibly 26" wheel) I got the frame and conversion kit and built it with 700c wheels but found that as I am 5'5" the bottom bracket is higher than the seat, which is rather too high to lift my legs with my back problem.

Plus it is also difficult to get started riding, so I have not managed to have a proper go on it and shelved the project for the winter (which was a bit too long over here). I think that if I could lower the bottom bracket 3" then I might be ok. This would need the 24" / 700c wheel combination and maybe also a shorter wheel spindle to bottom bracket piece. This would alter the steering angle, which might be improved with alterations to, or a different plate that attaches the bottom of the forks to the boom. Any suggestions, recommendations or advice on this would be great please......I can't work out how to extend my legs 6" ;-)

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Hmmm, one of the big reasons

Hmmm, one of the big reasons to use a smaller wheel on a RWD recumbent is to avoid heel strike against the front wheel when turning. The FWD MBB solves this problem because the wheel and pedal geometry turns together so to speak.

A disadvantage of two sizes of wheels is needing two sizes of tires, tubes, and spares.

I would probably be more inclined to try two 26" wheels or two smaller wheels 22" (451mm) wheels like the smaller Quest wheels and see how that works for you.

You may have issues with brake mounting hardware locations and positions but you would have this problem anyway - at least on the front.

-Eric

Hilry, I am considering the

Hilry, I am considering the frameset and conversion kit, but I have shorter legs than you. Are you able to easily touch the ground while sitting on your new conversion?

Hilry

Thanks for your input Eric.
I

Thanks for your input Eric.

I have got 20" 24" and 26" wheels to experiment (off cheap secondhand bikes) with but not the forks suitable to use so would have to purchase those. I have already had to buy slick tyres for the 26" and 20". The 24" still has the knobly tyres.

It is getting expensive to try options :-(.

So I can only stick on wheels to look at the effect at the minute.
A 26" on the back is the ideal size for brakes.

New forks would solve the brake issue on the front.
22" Wheels would definitely be a problem for brakes at the back.

Hilry

Hi ?russtaitai,
I have 29"

Hi ?russtaitai,

I have 29" inside leg (trousers entitled 29" fit best) and yes i can put my feet to the ground. An extra inch might come in handy for trying to run and push off.

I have 700c wheels in it but the frame is designed to fit 26" wheels.
To insert the back wheel with 700c the tyre needs to be deflated to get it into the dropouts.

It's just my useless back that's the issue for me.

Hilry

Oh, and I have the boom in an

Oh, and I have the boom in an number 2, so only another inch could that be reduced.
Shorter cranks could help but only about half an inch or an inch maybe.

Vargas

As for the breaks you could

As for the breaks you could use something like this:
http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-491642886-par-de-adaptador-para-freios-v-brake-trazeiro-ou-dianteiro-_JM

Or install caliper breaks using the roles of the v-brake to hold a plate for the calipers; this would reach a 20" wheel:
Lixo.jpg height:570px; width:755px

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
In general, I agree with Eric

In general, I agree with Eric that you'd be better off with two smaller wheels. But better really just means (1) only one tube size to carry and (2) the bike is closer to "level".

If you're goal is explicitly to change (2), then I see no reason it won't work (assuming you figure out brakes).

Regardless, please post pictures of everything you try. :D

Hilry

Brake bridge

i009899 - Hmmm, That's interesting.

Hi Charles. Thanks for input.
My objective is to get the bottom bracket a few inches lower relative to the seat, which means changing it from 'Level' to sloping down at the front, which is fine as the seat can be adjusted one way or another to suit, as long as the handling isn't compromised.
New forks to match the smaller wheel will sort the brake problem.
I've got a sidepull brake on the back for the 700c wheel.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
short chainstay option

If you have a conversion kit, then it would accept the short chainstay option provided for the Quest 451. So on 20" wheels your crank would be lower relative to the seat. And the seat would be lower on the 20" wheels. Personally, seeing cruzbikes with two different sized wheels irritates me. A designers thing! :)

Hilry

Short chainstay option

Thanks John.

I might have to offend your sensibilities I'm afraid to get to ride it ;-)