Cargo bike FWD

jgaerlan

triport.JPG
Saw this 1938 FWD Cargo trike on you tube. Might try to build a cargo box with 2 side wheels and attach it to the Cruzbike via the rear dropout. You guys think it will work ?

bret

You guys think it will work ?
I don't.

Looking at my Q45, I see the seat angle may be adjusted, but the seat post angle is fixed, and it intrudes into the rear wheel space vertically - so it will limit any box. The box will be too small.

As well, the box can't extend far back beyond the axle unless you wish to limit the load greatly.

Perhaps if you replace the swing arm with a much longer one, which isn't an option for the other designs.

Weight further back behind the axle un-weights the front wheel - it might be un-steerable and lose traction easily.

I am going to try a trailer, though.

jgaerlan

xtracycle-leap.jpg Thanks for the feedback. My plan is to use a rear chainstay extension similar to the Xtracycle. BUT instead of a single wheel on the extension, it will have a cargo platform and 2 wheels in the back. After tax season and work slows down, will try to tackle this project. Excuse the doodle drawings

I've got this mini velo FWD that I've been working on. Will try it on this one. With gas prices going up, maybe an electric motor on one of the cargo wheel and maybe even a back seat on the cargo box.InkedInked1645646911746_LI.jpg

Attachments

• xtracycle-leap.jpg
    xtracycle-leap.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 5
  • InkedInked1645646911746_LI.jpg
    InkedInked1645646911746_LI.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 4

benphyr

Guru-me-not
The challenge that I see is the same with any bicycle to tricycle conversion, namely you are no longer able to lean to turn so your steering dynamics are significantly changed. On a

Bike, when turning, the stresses on the rear frame and axle are less because the lean keeps most of the forces vertical (with respect to the leaned plane of the bike) and directly on the wheel and axle, whereas on a

Trike, when turning, there is a side load to the wheels and frame that stresses the rear triangle and wheels more in the horizontal direction and also, depending on the centre of gravity of the load, adds a torsion (twisting) force to them as well.

Not impossible and based on your picture I am sure you can have a workable solution, but be aware.