Cassette Clearance

Brewmaster

It seems that the clearance of my rear cassette/cluster is too close to the fork stay. The cluster is a 10 speed 13-29 Veloce Ultra Drive on a Centaur Hub, and I can't shift onto the 13 tooth sprocket without rubbing the fork tube (on the stand, of course....not riding!). I've pulled the wheel and re-stacked everything, and that all appears correct. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Jamie

VeloLEV

Brewmaster wrote: It seems that the clearance of my rear cassette/cluster is too close to the fork stay. The cluster is a 10 speed 13-29 Veloce Ultra Drive on a Centaur Hub, and I can't shift onto the 13 tooth sprocket without rubbing the fork tube (on the stand, of course....not riding!). I've pulled the wheel and re-stacked everything, and that all appears correct. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Jamie

There looks to be much less clearance than mine has. Double check the hub is not missing any parts, and that there is no spacer under the cassette. If nothing is incorrect, perhaps a smaller cog would work.

[URL='http://www.elevendistant.com/silvio/cog_clearance.jpg class="bb-url">
cog_clearance.jpg
[/URL]

PS. My smallest cog is an 11

Brewmaster

Hey VeloLEV,
I used one of the recommended builds for parts, so I think the 13-29 should be fine, but I definitely don't have the clearance that you do.
I re-stacked the cassette again, and all the spacers are correct, and there isn't a spacer at the bottom of the freewheel, just the built-in stop.
Is there something different with the Campy parts? I'm at a loss as to what to do. It works great as a 9 speed......
Jamie

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Brewmaster wrote: Hey VeloLEV,
I used one of the recommended builds for parts, so I think the 13-29 should be fine, but I definitely don't have the clearance that you do.
I re-stacked the cassette again, and all the spacers are correct, and there isn't a spacer at the bottom of the freewheel, just the built-in stop.
Is there something different with the Campy parts? I'm at a loss as to what to do. It works great as a 9 speed......
Jamie

You want an 11 for haulin' a$$! For reals, dude!

Mark

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Jamie,

What is the distance from the seat base (where the backrest and seat pan are welded together) and the bottom bracket axle when the bike is set up to your x-seam?

Your component set is the same as the BROL review bike's, and there was no interference with the chain on that bike (it was all campy and I've never seen a sweeter drivetrain; I hate the chain fasterner but the campy chain does work better on campy parts) It was also built with Campy wheels.

My bike uses a 12-28 IRD cassette on a Fulcrum wheelset and I have interference in the top cog also. It seems to be related to the lower carboyoke angle (my inseam is very short) but for the life of me I can't remember why. I'll have to look it over again today.

I tried putting a 2mm axle spacer between the dropout and the axle and this stopped the inerference, but it also moved the derailleur travel off-center and caused the shifting to to be un-repairably crunchy.

The bike was developed with an 11-t top cog.

I'll let you know what comes up...

Brewmaster

Hey Doug,
Thanks for the help! I measure that distance at 34 3/4" (my inseam is 32" and I'm 6' 1" = long body, short legs). The set up does shift very smoothly, and right now, I've just isolated the 10th cog for safety. BTW, on the Campy Only website (http://www.campyonly.com), they recommend a non Campy chain, because the Campy chain fastener is indeed a PITA. The recommended chain is a KMC DX-10SC....it is a very narrow (5.88mm) chain, inexpensive, and the reports are of a decent life and super quiet riding. If all else fails, I'll use a spacer....
Thanks,
Jamie

mamoka

Has anyone determined a good solution for the cassette clearance problem? I have completed the build and now have the same problem. My LBS had no solutions and suggested NOT to change the lower cog or add a spacer. Help!! :?:

Mamoka :?:

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
mamoka wrote: Has anyone determined a good solution for the cassette clearance problem? I have completed the build and now have the same problem. My LBS had no solutions and suggested NOT to change the lower cog or add a spacer. Help!! :?:

Mamoka :?:

Try something for me. Adjust your TFT out farther (don't forget to loosen the QR so you don't flex the stays) and see if there is a point where the chain will go to the 13 with no rub.

Mark

mamoka

Mark,

I'll try that. My only concern is my leg length. I'm close to as far as I can extend it. After talking with my LBS again, they mentioned they have seen this before on DF bikes and have successfully used a ballpeen hammer (gently) on the inner fork to "indent" the fork just enough to allow cassette clearance. I think vice grips (protecting the frame of course) might also pinch it in enough to allow for clearance. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for your input.

Mamoka

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
mamoka wrote: Mark,

I'll try that. My only concern is my leg length. I'm close to as far as I can extend it. After talking with my LBS again, they mentioned they have seen this before on DF bikes and have successfully used a ballpeen hammer (gently) on the inner fork to "indent" the fork just enough to allow cassette clearance. I think vice grips (protecting the frame of course) might also pinch it in enough to allow for clearance. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for your input.

Mamoka

Mamoka,

I wasn't so worried about you being able to run it extended like that; more so I was curious to see if there was any point where it WOULD clear. It seems like that cassette is not the best for everybody of all leg lengths.

Mark

mamoka

Mark

Sorry for the lengthy reply. I fully extended the TFT and had success with the cassette clearance. However when I returned the TFT to my leg length the cassette clearance was still an issue but not as severe as before. I can't figure why that was the case.

On another note, the Silvio is the most enjoyable and comfortable bike I have ever ridden. Thank again for your input.

Pictures of my build will follow in the near future as time permits.

Take care,

Mamoka

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Mamoka,

Glad things are better.

Dude, I been telling you..... This bike freakin' ROCKS! Have fun with it. If you're married, condolences to the wife. ;)

Mark