Chain coming off chainring

DDay

Question for V20 riders. I installed the long chainstay and had to lengthen the chain. Since then when I hit a bump the chain will often come off the chain ring during my ride. What is the best way to help prevent this? Post solutions+ pics please.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
You left us guessing:
Do you or do you not have a front derailleur?
Do you or do you not have two or three big front chainrings?
My guess is that you have only one chainring up front and, therefore, have no front derailleur.
Installing chainguards on the big ring would help keep your chain on.

Tuloose

Guru
Happened on my Freerider.
The problem was the chain was too long - not enough tension on the chain from the derailleur.
That may be your problem.

I work in a bike shop and install lots of chains.
The best method I have found is to run the new, uncut chain over the big ring and the big cog w/o going thru the rear derailleur.
Pull both ends and see where the opposite inside links come close to each other, add one whole link, both outside & inside links, so now you when you break the chain you have 2 inside links ready for the quick connector. The chain will now have a full link and a half of extra length when the half link of the connector is in place.
Run the chain thru the derailleurs, put on the connector, turn the crank so the connector is now past the cog and on it's way to the chainring, apply the brake and hit the pedal with your hand or give it a rap with a rubber mallet to set the connector.
Now when the chain is in the big/big gear (not recommended), the rear derailleur will be almost horizontal and when it's in the small/small gear there will be sufficient tension on the chain to keep it from jumping off.

You can probably find a youtube video showing the steps involved.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Happened on my Freerider.
The problem was the chain was too long - not enough tension on the chain from the derailleur.
That may be your problem.

I work in a bike shop and install lots of chains.
The best method I have found is to run the new, uncut chain over the big ring and the big cog w/o going thru the rear derailleur.
Pull both ends and see where the opposite inside links come close to each other, add one whole link, both outside & inside links, so now you when you break the chain you have 2 inside links ready for the quick connector. The chain will now have a full link and a half of extra length when the half link of the connector is in place.
Run the chain thru the derailleurs, put on the connector, turn the crank so the connector is now past the cog and on it's way to the chainring, apply the brake and hit the pedal with your hand or give it a rap with a rubber mallet to set the connector.
Now when the chain is in the big/big gear (not recommended), the rear derailleur will be almost horizontal and when it's in the small/small gear there will be sufficient tension on the chain to keep it from jumping off.

You can probably find a youtube video showing the steps involved.
Excellent set up procedures!!!

jond

Zen MBB Master
When you lengthened the chain what quick links did you add. For example the brilliant wipperman is directional. What type rear mech is it clutched. Finally chain stretch is the old section of chain serviceable compared to the added section. Is your clamped bb in alignment.