Chain jumping sleuthing

mi7d1

I've been having problems lately with my chain jumping on the highest cog. It started after I put my front Reelight on. Try as I might I couldn't get the chain to run smooth on that cog. In and out I adjusted the "H" screw to no avail. Finaly out of frustration I pulled the wheel to look at the cogs. With my reading glasses on and some rare but welcomed Porland sunshine I found a small chip of metal missing on the cog tooth. It also appears bent slightly. I don't recall my wheel falling over last I worked on it. It had to have been then because it shifted great before then. So now I need a new cog set. Not a problem, I had been thinking about going to a nine speed anyway. I've been held up on the shifters. My preferance is to use some SRAM trigger shifters or even Shimano dual control levers. I'm having a hard time with the twist shifter. I've never used them before and am shifting at wrong times when I don't want to. My only concern is that how my Sofrider is set up it will fit inside of the bike locker at my work, barely. I can't lower my bars because of my knees and I can't raise them because of the bike locker height. :idea: I'm going to have another look at my seat. If it can be moved forward more I can extend the TFT and then perhaps lower my handle bars. I could also go to a road double or triple crank with longer crank arms. That would extend the TFT also. Then again my knees would be at a greater angle and might hit the bars still. I have a crank set here with longer arms (and heavier). I think give it a try, It just might work out in the end...

Flasharry

Surely, longer crank arms will shorten the TFT and raise the knees closer to the bars?
The Freerider bars may be a solution(?)

Stuart.

mi7d1

You're right. What I was thinking is that with the bottom bracket fixed, If I shorten the cranks I have to move the seat back. So in my mind I reversed the scenario. Leave the seat fixed and lengthen the TFT. At least we're in agreement with the knee angle :D The Freerider bars are interesting but as it no stands, my Sofrider will just fit inside of the bike locker. I'm afraid that the Freerider bars would prevent that.

Flasharry wrote: Surely, longer crank arms will shorten the TFT and raise the knees closer to the bars?
The Freerider bars may be a solution(?)

Stuart.

defjack

Zen MBB Master
You can also try reversing the stem and lay that seat back.You want to get the bars away from your knees. Worked for me. Jack

mi7d1

defjack wrote: You can also try reversing the stem and lay that seat back.You want to get the bars away from your knees. Worked for me. Jack

Thanks, I doubt I'd have ever thought of that.

mi7d1

Part deux:

Chain jumping problem solved! OR It's not what you think it is.

So I'd been looking online for an 8sp Megarange cogset. I found some at a few shops. Kind of expensive IMO $30 range. Then I hit the jackpot $11.00 Now that's more like it. I ordered the part and in four days it was in my hands. Something was wrong. It wasn't a Megarange and on top of that it wasn't a freewheel but a cassette instead. Well lesson learned. I'll shelve the part for a rainy day. I got to thinking, 8speed freewheels where known for being weak. Surly I had a cassette system and not a freewheel. It it was true I could just change the damaged 11t high gear and be done. Parts swapped, wheel reinstalled and...? Same problem. On top of that my quick release stripped it's threads. I removed the wheel and inspected the cog set again. Something new caught my eye. I could see that there was wear on the threaded lock ring for the cassette. I compared it with my new cassette lock ring and the new one was about 2mm smaller diameter. I began to think that the chain was ridding on top of the lock ring flange. With the smaller cassette lock ring and another quick release installed, the Sofrider shifted beautifully. Since I don't have stock wheels, my guess is that whom ever switched the cassette used the wrong size lock ring. Such are the adventures of a used purchase. I learned a lot about the shifting system including adjustments. Almost gave up and took the bike to a shop but figured it out at the last minute. While I was out I also picked up a down tube shifter boss cover thingamajig so I can install a double crank set next.