Chain Reaction

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
v_sad.jpg

It's a sad day. My days of glory are curtailed ... I have been refining the engine since February... from which I had a terrible virus that had kept me low and in quarantine for weeks and consequently overweight. So what did I do in quarantine... well I upgraded the vendetta and put a TRP spyre hy/rd disc brake on the front wheel with a 160 ultegra rotor.

My goal for this year is to be able to hit 50kph on the flat and sustain it. Yes I am pretty sure the air flows better with the disc brake but the hub change really allowed the rd to be ripped off the deuralleur hanger. Thank God I had the disc brake to give me an instant stop. I was sprinting up a bridge at 40kph and half way up changed down a couple of gears and then slipped down into the little chainring "BaM#&#*@*, crunch and metal bits flying around". The good thing I came to a stop pretty quickly with the 160 rotor. Hate to think what it would have been like on a DF bike.
vRdSnap.jpg

One of the spokes on the new wheel got buckled and I noticed that the hub has gone out of alignment as the disc brake rubs on one part of the wheel.

I had the derailleur for years so it might be a time to get a new one (its minus the cable bolt... that sheared off).

So what caused it? Looking at the hub, I did notice about 3mm of freehub play. When the wheel was delivered it was without caps so I went to the local bike shop and asked them if they could fix it for me. They charged me €70 for 2 caps for the drive hub so I naturally thought it was the business. Until I looked today... if you have too much movement in your freehub then you can share the sad moment with me. I will now always check my freehub play when I get back from a LBS and if it moves I will take it back.

20200912_131457.jpg
(The lame Vandetta)

Last edited:

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Glad to see that this is a mechanical, and therefore, repairable issue. Being denied never feels good but I don’t expect you will be stopped permanently.

DavidCH

It just seems like a conflict that's trying to bring out the worst in me.

Perhaps it's time to flash some real cash before it burns in the stock market on some real wheels that are top notch. That will probably get me to 50kph better than anything else

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
It just seems like a conflict that's trying to bring out the worst in me.

Perhaps it's time to flash some real cash before it burns in the stock market on some real wheels that are top notch. That will probably get me to 50kph better than anything else
I am looking for speed too and am going to need some new disc brake wheels as well, so it would be nice to see what you get.

DavidCH

Is that tape on your helmet visor?
It is actually. My headrest has been reduced by 1.5 inches so my head is angled on a recline. The tape flaps stops the air from running underneath the visor. I don't get sore eyes when going +40.. before I had to wear 2 pairs of glasses to keep the dust out.

DavidCH

Ok ... status report time. I am back out on the vendetta. Everything seemed to take so long. I upgraded the derailleur to the shimano r8000 and changed the cage to an Alibaba bargain of the century...
20201022_104412.jpg r8000custom.jpg

So on the bike it seems more effortless and like zero chain clutter too.

When putting the chain on I noticed the old chain was well buckled with the forces put on it when tearing the derailleur off its hanger so I had to replace that as well.

The chainstay has a load of scratches from the ordeal... can I use any type of black paint such as car touch up paint or does it have to be special?

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Hey David,
Not sure how I missed your first post on this, but sure glad you are OK. From the sounds of it, it looks like you are almost ready to go again for you quest of speed.
Looking forward to more big things from you.
Larry

DavidCH

Hey David,
Not sure how I missed your first post on this, but sure glad you are OK. From the sounds of it, it looks like you are almost ready to go again for you quest of speed.
Looking forward to more big things from you.
Larry
I am pretty sure our paths haven't finished crossing. One way or another. Kudos to you. Great sport eh!

I really think when people see us on our Vs' they either feel fear or get very excited.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Ok ... status report time. I am back out on the vendetta. Everything seemed to take so long. I upgraded the derailleur to the shimano r8000 and changed the cage to an Alibaba bargain of the century...
View attachment 10293 View attachment 10294

So on the bike it seems more effortless and like zero chain clutter too.

When putting the chain on I noticed the old chain was well buckled with the forces put on it when tearing the derailleur off its hanger so I had to replace that as well.

The chainstay has a load of scratches from the ordeal... can I use any type of black paint such as car touch up paint or does it have to be special?
Keep your ceramic bearings clean: ceramics are particularly intolerant of any sort of grit.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
so do you say that "L T Woo" or "LT Woo" or "Lt. Woo" or "L TWoo" or "L Twoo"?

DavidCH

"Twit Tawoo" comes to mind. Anyways... poor man's ceramic speed. Fine for me as I am a few kilos over my race weight.