Chainstay Length..

Al_D

What considerations are most important in choosing which chainstay length to use?

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
What considerations are most important in choosing which chainstay length to use?
Primarily your leg length and also how far above the seat you feel comfortable having the BB. about 8" is a good value.
Most people under 6' still use a medium chainstay because when you move the BB out, it lowers the BB. It is usually not too low and better than being higher.
It is best to have both lengths and experiment with them to see what you like
The higher the BB gets and the straighten the boom the more difficult it is to ride.
Also, it might look more aero with the boom level, but to maximize the aero, the top of your feet as you pedal should only be a couple inches higher than you shoulders.

BJ686

Al, I think the decision on chainstay length is based on finding the right balance of comfort, stability and aero. As Larry notes, the larger the size of the chainstay, the higher the bottom bracket will be.

I've tried all three sizes, and settled on the middle one (I'm 6 feet tall). As Larry alludes to, I found the large size (ie, bottom bracket moves higher) a bit harder to control even though it may have been the most aero. If helpful, below is post where this topic was discussed a bit, and also includes a picture of my bike with all three sizes (see post 15)

https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/the-new-ish-v.13257/#post-160079

Last edited:

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I'm 5'10" (178cm?) and have the large chain stays since I bought my V20 from a tall guy. I can't say I am more or less wobbly than other V20 riders since there are almost zero V20 riders near me. My non-cycling friends probably think I am a bit wobbly. Well, not "probably" but I haven't run into anyone or ridden off the bike path so that has to count for something right? FYI, the bike path is at least as wide as a 2-car road.

Okay, I am going to go test out my new head rest experiment to see if it my lowered and tilted head in this new, more reclined position helps my CdA while keeping the bugs out of my eyes.