Changing the front wheel on a V20c

Sonnybea

Active Member
I had a flat on the front of my V20c and I couldn't get the front wheel back in is there a trick to get it back together on the side of the road
 

Rolling Along

Well-Known Member
This old video may help:

You only need watch the first 3:22 of the video.

The first time I had to change mine I was lucky enough to be at the park with bench and shade. For me the trick was to stand over as in the video and go slow noting how it slid out with respect to the cassette and derailleur so that I could reverse it once I had a new tube. I don't think my derailleur flips up like in the video and I did not try to do that. I put my bike in the smallest chain ring and one of the smallest gears on the cassette to make the chain as slack as possible. Be sure not to lay the bike on the derailleur.

I now have a Connex link on my chain. When dealing with the front wheel off/on I disconnect the Connex link, and remove the chain. This makes it easy to take off the wheel and put it back on.
 
Last edited:

vmi1056

Well-Known Member
Taking off that front wheel can be a task. I have practiced a few times in my garage but the one thing I miss is the cage lock button. I have experimented using small bungees to help hold the cage open and that makes it easier. Never thought about using Connex links for ease of chain removal, really like that idea.
 

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
On my 2018 rim brake V20 when I pull the front tire out my forks and chain stays often separate, and the RD with the hanger falls out. Not a big deal though. I slide the front wheel back into position, being careful that the chain goes onto the cassette on any of the smaller gears, and drop the forks onto the hub. I move the chainstays onto the forks in the proper position and slide the QR almost all of the way through. Then, I lift the rear derailleur, give it a 1/4 turn towards the front and pull open the chainstays to slide in the derailleur hangar into the derailleur hanger slot and rotate it around until it locks into place, then slide the QR all the way in and screw in the QR nut. Since I have done it enough times now that it isnt an issue I have not resorted to the ziptie hack.
 

RAR2

Member
I spread my fork sideways a bit, just enough to hold the chain stays and derailleur together. I never have any problem removing and replacing the front wheel.
 
Top