Climbing Tips and Tactics

drshuf

I'm wondering if any of you can share any tips or tactics for hill climbing with Silvio. I am riding with a good cyclist on a carbon frame diamond frame over pretty hilly terrain and I'm having a devil of a time keeping up with him on the hills. On the flats and slight inclines, no problem. I have a 52-42-30 triple in the front and an 11-34 cassette in the back. I find that if we are going up a grade where I've gotten enough momentum to go into the grade at above 15mph I can keep it going without much problem. However if I enter a hilly zone under 12 mph, I find myself falling back to 8-9mph while my friend can keep up the over 10mph easily. I've been trying to keep my cadence on the hills at least 80rpms but that usually means I'm down in my lowest 2-3 gears. I find it difficult to maintain a cadence over 90 for any sustained period. I've tried pulling up on the handlebars and that works for the steepest climbs but is difficult to keep going like that. There is probably a 50# weight differential between me and my buddy, and I'm sure that is the major factor slowing me down (working on trying to reduce that). I've got some Q-rings en route to see if they will help. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Reid

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
The only thing I can suggest, Reid, is patience and time in the saddle. There really isn't a quick fix, or a magic potion. Just think of your friend as the proverbial carrot on a stick. Keep focused on the goal and working toward it and you'll be fine. Think long term and not short term, in other words.

Toward that end, there are some things you can do to improve your long term goal. Do some leg strengthening exercises like squats and lunges. Do them both for strength and endurance. This will let you spin a bigger gear at higher RPMs. Try getting out and riding with some other folks to keep things fresh and get some miles above and beyond what your buddy is doing. Work in some long rides that build your aerobic capacity and burn fat. Ride intervals; go really hard, pushing your heart rate to capacity, ease up and let yourself recover, then go hard again. Again, these are best accomplished on longer rides.

As far as on the bike tactics go; I think you're on the right path. I tend to use downhills as recovery, only pedalling hard enough to keep real good momentum, yet not hard enough I can't recover. I attack on the uphills and pedal for all I'm worth. The only exception are long, grinding climbs, where I find a good gear, then not worry about what's going on around me. I focus on technique, specifically, my spin and just work my way up to the top.

For short term, don't worry so much on staying on your buddy's wheel. Think about closing that gap over the long term. You have the machine, you just have to adapt your body to it. That will come with time. In the meantime, have fun and relish in the fact that your butt feels way better than your buddy's!

Mark

cycleguy

If 50# is 50 pounds, then yeah, that is a huge issue.. if you can get that down and still put out similiar power, you will fly past him!

Keep in mind, many cyclist's spend 100's of dollars more for components that save them 5 grams, it's insane but they do. The most important factor in cycling is the dreaded power to weight ratio. If you keep the power the same, but loose the weight, their is a HUGE gain in speed, endurance etc.

Harold

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
cycleguy wrote: If 50# is 50 pounds, then yeah, that is a huge issue.. if you can get that down and still put out similiar power, you will fly past him!

Keep in mind, many cyclist's spend 100's of dollars more for components that save them 5 grams, it's insane but they do. The most important factor in cycling is the dreaded power to weight ratio. If you keep the power the same, but loose the weight, their is a HUGE gain in speed, endurance etc.

Harold

+1.. That's kinda what I was getting at, too. Keep up your training and try to build on your strength while you shake off the excess. I'm in the same boat as you, Reid. The only difference is; belonging to a bike club, I can ride with others and still ride within my limitations. As I get stronger, I can ride with the faster boys and girls until I get back with the group I used to ride with. We didn't get fat and out of shape overnight, so we shouldn't expect a magic bean that will get us back. Lord knows, if there was one, I'd be making chili! :lol: :lol:

Mark

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Mark B wrote: +1.. That's kinda what I was getting at, too. Keep up your training and try to build on your strength while you shake off the excess. I'm in the same boat as you, Reid. The only difference is; belonging to a bike club, I can ride with others and still ride within my limitations. As I get stronger, I can ride with the faster boys and girls until I get back with the group I used to ride with. We didn't get fat and out of shape overnight, so we shouldn't expect a magic bean that will get us back. Lord knows, if there was one, I'd be making chili! :lol: :lol:
Only +1? I would say +100 % correct ;-)

But i think you forgot to mention some things that might help. I asked before and someone replies to how to use the upper body as a help in pushing ahead? I would suggest reading that thread, rather than me having to describe it again.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
JonB wrote:
But i think you forgot to mention some things that might help. I asked before and someone replies to how to use the upper body as a help in pushing ahead? I would suggest reading that thread, rather than me having to describe it again.

Judging by Reid's OP, I'd say he's already doing that. He's looking for an extra edge.

Mark

drshuf

I've lost about 20# since April and it has improved my climbing, stamina etc. However, I still have trouble taking moderate to steep hills without dropping down below 9mph. My riding buddy is about 165 pounds to my 230, so no matter how well the diet goes, I doubt I will be able to get close to his weight, thus I am looking at my technique and any mechanical advantages to help this issue.

I don't have an altimeter, so it is difficult to judge the slope at which I'm encountering the problem. What type of speed do you guys manage on moderate hills?
Mark, it sounds like you and I are about the same size, you mentioned that you can take any hill with your 42 teeth ring. I find I have to go to the 30 teeth ring to take many hills if I am to keep the rpms up above 80. If I use the 42, I find that I have to mash the pedals, rpms decrease dramatically and my knees start to hurt. You seem to ride more than me, I average about 50 miles per week. How long (miles) did it take till you noticed improved climbing ability?

I just got the q-rings and I'll be installing them this weekend. I'll let you know if they help.
Thanks for all the commentary.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
drshuf wrote:
Mark, it sounds like you and I are about the same size, you mentioned that you can take any hill with your 42 teeth ring. I find I have to go to the 30 teeth ring to take many hills if I am to keep the rpms up above 80. If I use the 42, I find that I have to mash the pedals, rpms decrease dramatically and my knees start to hurt.

I can climb anything with the 42 on my conversion bike. It has a megarange cassette, so a 34 tooth low gear. I have to use the 30 on my Silvio, as well.

drshuf wrote: You seem to ride more than me, I average about 50 miles per week. How long (miles) did it take till you noticed improved climbing ability?

I think I had stepped it up to 100 miles/week for a few weeks before I really noticed a difference. The cardio, you know? Right now, I'm getting right at 200 miles/week because I'm riding to work three times/week.

drshuf wrote: I just got the q-rings and I'll be installing them this weekend. I'll let you know if they help.

I'll be interested to hear what you have to say about the q's.

Mark