Comparison: Q45, QX100, Conversion Kit, S40

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Even though my QX100 is a full bike with all but handlebars stock from Cruzbike I often prefer the earlier Conversion Kit seen in my avatar.

I purchased the Conversion Kit used from Hamish Barker in 2014 and had it shipped all the way from New Zealand complete with everything except a frame. I picked up a small Trek frame from the local New Hope Community Bikes and got their help putting it together. Here are some of the reasons that I chose the Conversion Kit:

The handlebars are in the perfect position, the width and shape of handlebars, arm extension, and rigid handlebar/stem combination are great for control, aerodynamics, and comfort.

It has top-notch light weight components (newer is not necessarily better): ~1998: XTR: trigger shifters, rear derailleur, cranks, chain rings, and brakes, XT: hubs and brake levers, LX: front derailleur.

Clamps replaced with 6mm bolts drilled into top tube to hold seat bracket.

The original seat post in frame seat tube configuration was replaced. Friend 2 brought over some expertise, elbow grease, and an old mountain bike frame. We cut out the old seat stay at the seat tube and mounted it directly to the rear axle. The other end was shimmed to fit the seat post, which was then attached to the seat back with the usual seat mount but at closer to 90 degrees. It is hard to see in the picture - it is matt grey. That makes it have a very rigid rear triangle supporting longitudinally to the axle and resists twisting forces too. Does this approach the S40 in stiffness?

Last edited: