Confirmed: Mark B is an idiot

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Because by using a check, they can continue to build interest on their money from the time they cut the check until it's actually deposited. 3-4 days, anyway.

We didn't get very far with the next day air thing, either. They suddenly became stupid and couldn't comprehend. :roll:

Mark

Kamatu

God, you have to love insurance companies.

A) An elderly lady friend's beach house got trashed in a hurricane. I'd bet an engineer would have given it an upcheck to be rebuilt (no major structural damage), but at 75, she decided it was time to move off the beach.

B) Two different insurance companies involved, flood and windstorm. Fairly reasonably, they conferred and for the contents coverage, the windstorm people took the top story (where the tornado strike and winds had ripped on corner and then the entire roof off) and the flood people took the downstairs contents (where the storm surge had flooded it out).

C) Then the fun begins. The house was under insured, but it did have two complete policies, one for windstorm damage and one for flood damage. They figured they should each only pay half of the value they insured for (they are already getting off cheaper than the place cost). Of course, the question is, are they going to refund half her premiums? Either the wind or water damage was enough to qualify it as totaled. I'm not sure how it ended up, but I know her lawyer didn't cost her anything and she recovered most of the full insured value.

D) Now I like to see both sides and both of these insurance companies had a little problem for their bottom line. (Bottom line is useful, if Cruzbike has the wrong color one, they won't be making bikes anymore, if they have the right color and lots of it, we will get cheaper and more Cruzbikes.) It seems the state has a "low rent" insurance option of last resort for homeowners and hurricanes. Well, as usual, it was underfunded by tax money and since it was for the poor, the premiums weren't in line with the insured values. Not only was this state company involved in the same crap as most of the insurance companies, by state fiat, the regular insurance companies were having to help pay the costs of the state insurance company on a pro rated basis, including covering its losses when they happened. It is now even harder to get insurance here, the cost of doing business keeps going up as more and more people opt for the state agency with its subsidized rates, so the insurance companies are bailing out of the state.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Kamatu wrote: God, you have to love insurance companies.

Tell me about it. A very simple claim, I thought. But no, it has to be partly auto insurance and partly homeowners insurance, which meant I had to pay two deductibles totalling $750. :evil: The auto insurance side of it went off without a hitch. The car has been repaired and all is well. The homeowners side of it has been another matter. As I said earlier, they send the check to the address I lived at six years ago. :x My &*#*!$% bill seems to find me OK every month. :x :x So now, these geniuses are telling me the check has to come out of Texas, which means I won't see it until the end of the week. It's an out of state check, so my bank won't release the funds until the check clears, which will be another week. Then, depending on the shipping Gods, delivery of the new frame could be anywhere from a few days to a week. It won't take but a couple evenings to build, so I should be on the new bike by the end of August. I'm not complaining too much, but if they had sent the check to the right freaking address, I'd just about be on it right now.

Last night, I finally stripped the old frame down to bare bones. It was kind of sad; I just built it! There are some things, though, that I will do differently this build. Nothing that will make the bike work any better, just mostly aesthetics and cable routing. I'm trying to decide what to do with the old frame. I think I'll keep it around in case John T comes up with an extra fork someday. The cosmetic damage to the TFT cleaned up pretty good. There are some actual gouges into the aluminum, but I was able to cover them up pretty well with a Sharpie. If you know they're there the damage is visible. But I doubt most people would look that close to notice it. Especially by the time it got some road dust on it. So, now there isn't much to do but sit and wait for the new frame. I'll clean up my parts a little before the new build, but otherwise, I wait.

In the meantime, I continue to ride the conversion hard. I can feel myself getting stronger and fitter. I'm taking solace in the fact that once the new Silvio is built, I should be a rocket.

Mark

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Mark B wrote: Because by using a check, they can continue to build interest on their money from the time they cut the check until it's actually deposited. 3-4 days, anyway.
Yes, but i'm pretty sure that it costs more money to handle a check than an electronic wiretransfer. And even much more than the interrest.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
JonB wrote:
Mark B wrote: Because by using a check, they can continue to build interest on their money from the time they cut the check until it's actually deposited. 3-4 days, anyway.
Yes, but i'm pretty sure that it costs more money to handle a check than an electronic wiretransfer. And even much more than the interrest.

Don't get me wrong, Jon, I wish they would wire the money. Funny thing is, if I were behind on my premium, they'd want an electronic transfer. You can bet on that. But I have to wait even longer than usual because of their screw up and they sure aren't jumping through hoops for me.

Mark

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
JonB wrote: buy your ensurance another place.
Absotively.
:roll:

I just love this thread. Whoever came up with the subject line ("Mark B is an idiot") is a genius!
;)

-Steve

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
JonB wrote: buy your ensurance another place.

Trust me, it's already in the works. We have the whole enchilada in one place; home, auto, life. I know they don't give a crap, but I do. We've been pretty happy with them up until this incident and now, it seems like they don't GAS. Maybe it's because it's bicycle prejudice. :roll:

Mark

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
The US banking system is a third world system.

(Sorry guys, I love you and all that , but sometimes the truth just cannot be embellished. Electronic payment in the US consists of electronically instructing your bank to send a cheque for you to the recipient. Whereas elsewhere in the world, electronic payment means entering your recipients bank account number into your secure bank website, and clicking on 'pay'.)

ok, so this is way way offtopic, I consider myself censored forthwith. :)

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
johntolhurst wrote: The US banking system is a third world system.

So, does this mean you will not be accepting the sack full of clams I was planning to send? What if I throw in a couple chickens, a goat and maybe a small bag of oranges? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
johntolhurst wrote: I'm sure we can come to some, ah, arrangement. :oops:

OK, OK, you drive a hard bargain. I'll make it a large bag of oranges and a dozen avocados. That's my last and final offer! :lol: :lol:

Mark