Conversion Kit Assembly questions, fork adapter

gymbnz74

I got my conversion kit a few weeks ago, I finally got my donor (I will snap photos later tonight) disassembled and have begun getting it converted. Last night I ran into a problem, or maybe its just me, with the fork adapter assembly. The bolts that came with the fork plate did not fit through the holes easily, I was able to turn them and semi-thread them through the fork plate. Is this a problem with my bolts, the powder coating, or not a problem at all? Also the nylon spacers would not fit on my bolts, lucklily in my case i didn't need them. Also the new dropout is too tight to get my axel to slide into easily. The final issue with the bolts was they were a few mm too big for my fork dropout, again with some turning and working it like a tap, it made it in.

Another thing is the part of the adapter that gets clamped to the fork leg does not sit flush, i assume this is due to my straight line forks. The may not be an issue at all, not sure.

I am impressed with the quality of the kit components, I am just wondering if everything will fit sooo tight.

Thanks

Jim

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I had some of the same issues, Jim. The thing with the tab that rests against the fork leg. Be sure and install your brakes and see where your pads hit. You will probably find you'll need to shim that tab to get your brake clearance. You're going to have fun when you get this thing running!!

Mark

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Hi Jim,

You're dealing with a couple of things here.

Typical front axle diameter = 9mm. Bolt that fastens the triangle adapter to the fork = 3/8 inch (roughly 9.5 mm)

You'll need to open the front dropout a little with a file, then the bolt will fit fine.

Bolt into triangle adapter hole: use a file to remove the powder coating from the hole. It'll slide through fine.

Rear axle into triangle bracket: 10mm rear axle, you'll need to again remove the powder coating from the axle slot in the triangle bracket.

The nylon washers go between the triangle bracket's chainstay mounting hole and the kit chainstay, one on each side of the bracket, on both sides of the bike. they should fit fine without modification.

Let us know if you have any difficulty.

Keep us posted.

Best,

Doug

gymbnz74

Thanks for the input, i just wondered if I was loosing it, late night wrenching things tend to not fit...and its not usually the parts. Tonight I assembled a little more of the front assembly...duh that's where the nylon washers go, thanks Doug.

Mark, I think I lucked out on the fork triangle. I put it in the middle hole to minimize some of the angle with the tab against the fork leg, I have plenty of clearance without a shim and the brake pads reach, i may even be able to move another hole down...this is all with a schwalbe big apple tire on the rim.

Doug, thanks for the info about filing off the powder coating, I was unsure of doing that but good to know it is the way to go.

I am really surprised and pleased at how rigid the kit pieces are coming together...i'm taking some pictures tonight and will hopefully get them up soon.

thanks again guys, its great to have the knowledge and support here.

Jim

currystomper

Hi

I also had some bolts that were tight due to the powder coat - I didn't remove the coating, I screwed the bolt though the coating - it will give a nice bit of torque lock to the bolt and the coating is there to stop corrosion - important in "sunny" Scotland.

The nylon washer comment prompts a question:- Even when I use the washer there is some space/ sideways slop on this bearing - should I tighten it out , is it as designed or have done something wrong.

...cheers currystomp...

gymbnz74

I am sure not on the ball with photos...sorry about that.

Mark, Here is a photo of my fork adapter, you can see that "not sitting flush" that i'm talking about. I pulled the clamp back for the photo, I'm thinking this is a non-issue but i just want to make sure. I will make sure everything is fitting good with the wheel on before I really tighten down the clamp and bolts.

I've actually come up with a few more issues/questions I think i'll start a new thread as to not bury some things that could help other folks to deep in a thread.

gymbnz74

Jack,
are there any rules of thumb for how deep into the very long dropouts on the front triangle plate you should place the front axle? I assume you want to be pretty consistent for front derailer placement, brake adjustment, etc.

thanks

defjack

Zen MBB Master
Once the chain and derailer is on just slide the axel back as far as it will go. If the chain hits the fork move the axel forward. Also make sure the wheel is straight. Jack

Tarmac Terrorist

Thanks Jim, I'm starting a

Thanks Jim, I'm starting a conversion and you photos and comments have given me a bit more confidance to buy the kit and get started.

This is my doner bike and I am concerned that the Marchozzi XCR forks will take the kit. I can now see from your photos that your forks have a similar profile.

http://www.motorabilia.biz/Images/Giant%20Warp/photos/Giant%20Warp%20DS-2%20012.html

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Broken frame?

Is that broken frame in the pictures the reason for your "Tarmac Terrorist" handle?

-Eric

Tarmac Terrorist

Yes and no, that did happen

Yes and no, that did happen on the cycle path. The name comes from a Perth radio announcer that hates cyclists and wants us banned from dual use paths, calls us terrorists.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
What annoucer is that TT? Did

What annoucer is that TT? Did he ever take a bike to road and conclude that car drivers are terrorists?