copenhagen wheel

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Pretty cool-looking, but what would that extra 13 pounds on the front do to the handling?

I don't think it would be so bad. Many people use heavy (albeit not that heavy) hubs on their Cruzbikes. Since the weight is symmetric about the axis, I don't think it would be that much harder. (I suppose I should mention that I have been wrong before... :) )

If you put 13 lbs by your crankset, you'd really notice...

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Wind would let itself be felt, especially gusting from the side.
It wouldn't be too bad.

I would much rather mount that device in the rear wheel, where you'd barely know it was there!

davidmerkel

while i do not currently have a sofrider, i'm in the market for one. i've read that front wheel traction is occasionally compromised on climbs.....would the extra 13 lbs. help alleviate that characteristic...whad'ya think?

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
while i do not currently have a sofrider, i'm in the market for one. i've read that front wheel traction is occasionally compromised on climbs.....would the extra 13 lbs. help alleviate that characteristic...whad'ya think?

Nah... 13 lbs compared to (in my case) 250 lbs (me and bike) just isn't going to change traction noticeably at all.

If you are concerned about traction (I wouldn't be unless you like really steep hills in the rain) and you want a motor, then definitely put it on the rear. You'd be able to climb anything! (Well, o.k., you know what I mean...)

SamP

Guru
I recently had some front tire slippage on a climb (Conversion Kit), the hill pitched up near the top to over 15% grade, maybe as much as 20% (only for about 5-10 yards). I couldn't make it up on the bike and had to walk the bike up the last bit.

Traction problems on lesser grades are more likely when traction is compromised in other ways, e.g. dirt, gravel, wet.