Cracked Handlebar Screw Section: Help Needed

Bentsoup

Unicorn Retriever
Hello all! I regretfully sold my S30 about a year ago, and I have been looking for another one with no luck. I loved the seat angle and I really think the V20 seat angle might be too much recline for my tastes. So I'm looking for any real-life differences that you multi-model riders might be able to share as far as speeds, riding experience, etc.

My S30 was a quick bike, and I know from reading that the V20 is very fast, but how does the S40 compare with those other two bikes? Are we talking about 1mph differences between the three, all things being equal otherwise? For example, if my engine is capable of pushing the V20 to 21mph, would the S30 be 20mph and the S40 be 19mph? Or does the S40 keep up with the S30?

I'm curious if Cruzbike has ever performed any testing like this since it's an often talked about topic.

Thanks!

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
I am by no means an expert however, I owned one of the last of the Silvio 2.0 crop and now own a 2021 S40 and a 2020 V20. Of course the engine is the real issue so the better your engine, the better your performance. That said, I think it is safe to say that with the V20 you should at minimum expect ~2 mph increase over your S30. That 'should' also be true regarding the S40 depending of course upon whether or not you go for a used, pre-carbon, V20 or the brand new V20. I would expect a bit more performance for the new V20 if for no other reason that the much lighter carbon front end.

My personal experience is as follows: At 5'10" and ~230-240lbs, with my Silvio 2.0 I managed to easily average ~18 mph on flats, with my S40 (at ~260lbs, yes, I was a bit of a blob), I was easily averaging ~19 mph on flats, but now, at 188lbs I am easily averaging 21+ mph on flats (again 'the engine' matters). However, with much less effort, I can easily average the same on my V20. YMMV...

I hope this is helpful...

Beano

The V20 is an act of savagery and is it's own league regarding speed, you don't think there should be much difference between the two bikes but there is. IME at speeds or around 19-20 mph there is about a 20-25 watt difference.

With it's shorter wheelbase, the S40 is less twitchy at slow speeds and i find it easier to filter than my V20. The S40 is also more comfortable with a more upright position.

Bentsoup

Unicorn Retriever
Man, I caught magic in a bottle today. I've been out of the recumbent game a little while, sold my Baron a few months ago, but I've always regretted selling my Cruzbike S30 (2 years ago). I've rehabbed my back and have been riding upright bikes. I randomly check around, looking for what people are selling and to be honest, the recumbent market is very lean right now.

I stumbled across this beauty, covered in 4 years of dust. It's a true barn find and I'm excited to give her a test ride. Fully intact, no issues, she just needs a wash and a tune and she'll be breaking MJ's KOM's in no time.

My friends call me the recumbent whisperer because I'm always finding stuff like this. Can't wait to jump back in the saddle again on a Cruzbike.

Is this a series 1 V20? What should I expect with this thing? I'm not looking to crash.

20230621_203653.jpg

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Man, I caught magic in a bottle today. I've been out of the recumbent game a little while, sold my Baron a few months ago, but I've always regretted selling my Cruzbike S30 (2 years ago). I've rehabbed my back and have been riding upright bikes. I randomly check around, looking for what people are selling and to be honest, the recumbent market is very lean right now.

I stumbled across this beauty, covered in 4 years of dust. It's a true barn find and I'm excited to give her a test ride. Fully intact, no issues, she just needs a wash and a tune and she'll be breaking MJ's KOM's in no time.

My friends call me the recumbent whisperer because I'm always finding stuff like this. Can't wait to jump back in the saddle again on a Cruzbike.

Is this a series 1 V20? What should I expect with this thing? I'm not looking to crash.

View attachment 14970
I can't comment on the classification of this V. However, I had the Campagnolo Zonda wheels before. Really light and fast. Great find!

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I can't comment on the classification of this V. However, I had the Campagnolo Zonda wheels before. Really light and fast. Great find!
Yep. Great wheels. Robust too. I bought a set 5 years ago for my road bike, put 6000 miles on 'em and then I bougtt some aero wheels. Stuck the Zondas on my commuter and haven't touched them since except to change tires about once a year because I put about 6000 miles on my commuter a year also. Still waiting for them to crap out but dammit they won't. That bike always sits outside too.

Bentsoup

Unicorn Retriever
So if it's a 1.0 or a 1.5, what am I expecting in riding it? My only Cruzbike was an S30, I've never been on a Vendetta, much less the first or second iteration of it. A little nervous about the comments I read about it being super twitchy. :D

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
Chiming in a little late...

I've owned all three, the V20, S30, and S40. For me, the S30 has been only a tiny bit slower than the V on flats and rollers, and it slightly outclimbs the V, perhaps because the less reclined seat gives a little more to push against while climbing. Handling was similar on both, with the S30 maybe being a little friendlier to ride, but not by much. The S40 was definitely slower than both of the others, but it was the easiest to ride of the three--not that the V and S30 are that hard to handle.

Having the S30 and S40 became too redundant to justify, and the S40 gave me awful recumbutt, while the S30 never has. So I sold the S40, and still have the S30. I replaced the V20 with a V20c, and there is now an official speed difference between the V and the S30, mostly because the longer chainstay on the V has put my feet up a little higher. The S30 is still a nice little road rocket. But if I had to choose one over the other, the V would win out, even back when I had the older V20.

Enjoy that classic first generation V. I think you're going to like it.

Bentsoup

Unicorn Retriever
Chiming in a little late...

I've owned all three, the V20, S30, and S40. For me, the S30 has been only a tiny bit slower than the V on flats and rollers, and it slightly outclimbs the V, perhaps because the less reclined seat gives a little more to push against while climbing. Handling was similar on both, with the S30 maybe being a little friendlier to ride, but not by much. The S40 was definitely slower than both of the others, but it was the easiest to ride of the three--not that the V and S30 are that hard to handle.

Having the S30 and S40 became too redundant to justify, and the S40 gave me awful recumbutt, while the S30 never has. So I sold the S40, and still have the S30. I replaced the V20 with a V20c, and there is now an official speed difference between the V and the S30, mostly because the longer chainstay on the V has put my feet up a little higher. The S30 is still a nice little road rocket. But if I had to choose one over the other, the V would win out, even back when I had the older V20.

Enjoy that classic first generation V. I think you're going to like it.
Thanks for this! It definitely gives me a better idea of what to expect. Sounds like I'll adapt quickly since I have a great foundation with my former S30.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
A v20 with a thor seat can be adapted to be at 30 degrees ... I remember seeing a post somewhere on this site

Bentsoup

Unicorn Retriever
So to bump the thread, I cleaned her up yesterday really good and took her for a spin. The handlebars weren't quite right so I started adjusting them. As I lightly tightened the top right bolt, the welded section cracked. I didn't tighten it hard, just enough for it to not move while I set it correctly. I'm guessing age, or it's possible even my light tightening was too much.

Either way I'm exploring options. Do any of you have any old stock sliders laying around that I could buy? I'm also looking into tig welding but I'm a little nervous about that option.

This stinks but if she's headed to the bike graveyard, I'll likely donate her to a bike museum before I sell it. I'd want others to enjoy seeing this piece of recumbent history.

See attached photo for reference.

Attachments

• 20230625_161444.jpg
    20230625_161444.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 20

Bentsoup

Unicorn Retriever
Not sure at all on this, but you might be able to replace the pivot clamp with a more modern one and use a more modern slider. Of course... there are some CB experts that will know.
Thanks. I sent an email to Cruzbike too. If there's a more modern version, I'd consider that too. I spoke to a fabrication company and they are confident it can be repaired. I'm just worried about the integrity afterwards and longevity.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately those parts are few and far between - if any. A new setup won't work as every part of the chain is changed from the stay to the fork, etc etc...

Can you send me an email to robert@cruzbike? I will need several measurements - the mm OD of the tube, wall thickness, length from the fork area mounting hole opening to the bar clamp, length of the tube from the mounting hole opening to the end of the tube... I think those are the main ones...

Bentsoup

Unicorn Retriever
Unfortunately those parts are few and far between - if any. A new setup won't work as every part of the chain is changed from the stay to the fork, etc etc...

Can you send me an email to robert@cruzbike? I will need several measurements - the mm OD of the tube, wall thickness, length from the fork area mounting hole opening to the bar clamp, length of the tube from the mounting hole opening to the end of the tube... I think those are the main ones...
Thank you, Robert. I'll try and measure and send you the data.

Bentsoup

Unicorn Retriever
I do have an additional issue now too. The slider is mind numbingly stuck in the boom. No amount of force is getting it loose. I've soaked it in lubricants like WD40 but it isn't budging at all. If I can't get this piece loose, there's no point in moving forward with a repair because I need to hone the fit which is off by a bit. Argggg, I truly love this bike, why won't it cooperate? :mad::emoji_joy:

The slider is mind numbingly stuck in the boom.
You’re not the first. Good luck!