Crank Arms/Rings/BB

Phantomrider

I recently acquired a new to me 2017 S40 that is very nicely equipped with E-Tap, Sram Force 39/53 rings and 175mm arms. For several years now I have ridden a v20 and an ICE VTX with 150mm cranks and 36/52 Q-Rings(110bcd) paired with PG1170 11-32 cassette, E-tap, the Cranksets are Sram Apex modified by Mark Stonich and have served me very well. I had some reluctance riding the 175’s and now after 150 or so miles I’m finding the cranks are just to long for me. So I’m having difficulty locating a short crank set that would accommodate the GPX BB and the 130BCD chain rings. The only alternative that I have discovered is to either purchase another set from Mark or install a square taper BB with a 155mm set of Origin8 cranks. I’ve been told the square taper BB is not a good idea and won’t hold up to the torque over time, I have no experience with them so truly have no clue. I have a quote from Mark for a new set and obviously the price has gone up since my last purchase. By the way, that Force crank and rings are just gorgeous on the bike.

So with all this said, I’m curious if anyone has a different solution they have either used or contemplated that I could entertain. Moving the crankset from one of the exiting machines isn’t an option as I will be riding all 3 depending on the day, weather, mood, etc. I am not opposed to going with a 1X drivetrain but need to remain 11 speed because the E-tap system is 11 speed and won’t support a cassette greater than 36 tooth.

appreciate any insight you may have.

I have used the Cobb crankset with success. It looks like the SRAM has quit the GXP format, but replacement bottom brackets and compatible cranks are still available, though limited in supply.

If you’re willing to get new a bottom bracket (I consider it a part that wears out), then the 24 mm format’s a good choice. I switched when going to the Rotor cranks system.

Here’s some discussion, I know many have had their crank arms shortened.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Here you go. It's 110bcd though. I have both Cobb and BBK cranks for my S40 and V20. Can't tell the difference.
I think there are Cobb short cranks being sold in other sites.

I can't help with the Sram question but as an alternative I use a daVinci crank with 150 arm length and a White Industries square taper BB. Both are very nice quality and the BB is rock solid. They also come in 160 but not 155. daVinci makes one crank with multiple spiders to match your needs. My gearing is lower than your goal using the 110/74 triple spider but set up with no outer ring, a 44t middle and a 27t rotorQ inner.

Last edited:

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
All of the above options are solid suggestions, to which I will add the Praxis Zayante carbon crank, which is moderately priced, goes down to 155mm, and is available either with or without rings. It also looks like it uses a standard three-bolt spider mount, meaning that you should be able to fit a 130bcd spider. You would need a newer 30mm bb, due to the larger diameter spindle.

Aerozine is another worth looking at, with a range of shorter cranks in aluminum and carbon. One thing I like I like about these is that many of them have a flip-chip at the pedal end that gives you 5mm of adjustment. Flip the chip one way for 150mm; flip it the other way for 155mm, for example. I have used a 160/165mm from them, and it worked well. Aerozine also sells sets with or without rings, and offers different spiders for a range of ring options. Like the Praxis, these also require a 30mm bb.

Hope this helps some.